Mini mk1 and mk2 questions

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Bule

Mini mk1 and mk2 questions

Post by Bule »

Hi everyone!
I found this forum some time ago and just joined in! I am planning to buy my first real machine and the Mini seems to be the one for me. Here in Europe we have mainly the mk1 version. Could you please shed some light on the differences of these two? I already got some great info from one seller, for example the dual manometer, and different temp display on the panel. Before ordering (I will probably order the mk1) I would just like to know more precisely the differences...

Thanks!
Tommi
Niko

Re: Mini mk1 and mk2 questions

Post by Niko »

I see this question was left unanswered for a while and you probably already know the differences by now.

The differences to most will be subtle if any, most people just want their coffee with speed and ease but it's those subtle differences that get very noticed after a lot of time spent behind the portafilter ;-)
Aside from the dual manometer, the MkII will give you a more neurotic temp control that doesn't like to drift much along with better steaming. The steaming has improved noticeably to me since I was used to putting gallons of milk through the machine, the more sensitive steam temp probe helps with that.
The really nice upgrade to have is preinfusion, try to get this at all costs - I really LOVE having this feature.
Bule

Post by Bule »

Hi Niko!

Thanks for your reply. I had some hard time finding out the differences but eventually I got all the answers from the very helpful dealer. At first I was going to order the MK I but since the price difference was not very great, + all the added features on the mk II I ordered the latter. It arrived just this morning. Now the learning can start.. Wish me luck ;-)

I will now start without the pre infusion but I may add it later.

Tommi
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice to hear!
Please do post your experiences :grin:
oton

Post by oton »

Hi all! :smile:

Could someone explain the exact differences between U.S. Mini VIvaldi II and Mini Vivaldi for the rest of the world, please?

Can I get with Mini VIvaldi (not U.S. II)...
  • Programmable Off Set Differential? (+/- 8ºC )

Dual Manometer?

.9 mm four hole steam tip?

Decreased delta?

Updated temperature sensing probe (submerged directly into the boilers)?

Adjust temperature in 1ºC increments?

LED display in 1 degree increments, from 91 to 97 degrees Celsius?

Can I put the optional Pre Infusion Chamber?

Much thanks in advance.
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Hi all! :smile:

Could someone explain the exact differences between U.S. Mini VIvaldi II and Mini Vivaldi for the rest of the world, please?

Can I get with Mini VIvaldi (not U.S. II)...
Not stock (maybe with a software flash?) Does anybody use this?
oton wrote:Dual Manometer?
No. Do you really need it? It's really "set and forget". You can easily attach a $10 gauge to your PF to set it.
oton wrote:.9 mm four hole steam tip?
No. It's $15 at Chris Coffee.
oton wrote:Decreased delta?
I'm pretty sure both models now have this (no reason they would be making two versions).
oton wrote:Updated temperature sensing probe (submerged directly into the boilers)?
Both models now have the new probe.
oton wrote:Adjust temperature in 1ºC increments?
Both have the 1C increments. The Mk1 simply displays it in 5C (a different sticker). I prefer 5C on the Mk1 since it gives both options AND a bigger range.
oton wrote: LED display in 1 degree increments, from 91 to 97 degrees Celsius?
No. I assume if you really wanted this you could buy a new sticker and do a software flash upgrade.
oton wrote:Can I put the optional Pre Infusion Chamber?[/list]
Yes.

My opinion?

Go for the Mk1 the if the Mk2 is more expensive or just not available and don't worry about all the little stuff on the CC wesite. The only real difference is the Dual Manometer. You can simply use a PF gauge. If you really want the dual gauge, it's about $100 to add if you buy the parts from CC. (new cover $35, new gauge $65, and tee fitting with tubing and quick connect).

The new Mk1's come with the Bestcup softener/ filter, easier side panel attachment and vacuum valve frame cutout, that are not on the Mk2 (if that helps).
oton

Post by oton »

Nice. Thanks Endo. :grin:

I've read that Mini Vivaldi II does not have "economy mode"?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=585

Endo wrote:
oton wrote:Adjust temperature in 1ºC increments?
Both have the 1C increments. The Mk1 simply displays it in 5C (a different sticker). I prefer 5C on the Mk1 since it gives both options AND a bigger range.
Mmm I see. However, for what is usefull water at 85ºC or 120ºC?
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Nice. Thanks Endo. :grin:

I've read that Mini Vivaldi II does not have "economy mode"?
The economy mode is replaced with a "low water" indicator light on both the mk1 and mk2 Mini's.

I don't miss having it at all. Just pick a mode. How is it "economical" if you heat alternatively rather than both at once? It sill requires the same power to get both boilers up to temp. It just takes longer on 15A. There is not a huge time difference on the Mini since the boilers are smaller (3.5 minute warmup for the steam boiler, half that for the brew boiler), so you only save about 2 minutes in 15A mode.

In any case, if you do want to switch modes. You just need to open the top (one screw) and flip the toggle switch.

oton wrote:Mmm I see. However, for what is usefull water at 85ºC or 120ºC?
You're right. Not much practical use at the extremes.
oton

Post by oton »

Endo wrote:
The new Mk1's come with the Bestcup softener/ filter, easier side panel attachment and vacuum valve frame cutout, that are not on the Mk2 (if that helps).
It's possible that new Mk2's comes too with than things? Specially about the water softener. Anyone knows?
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:
Endo wrote:
It's possible that new Mk2's comes too with than things? Specially about the water softener. Anyone knows?
The answer is no. Chris feels a filter/softener gives a false sense of security with regard to proper water softness. He prefers his machnies to have only a screen and for the owner to follow the water quality guidelines in the manual.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I don't like the "mk1 and mk2" description. It implies the mk2 is newer (and better). This is not always the case.

We should refer to them as:

Mini-Vivaldi (sold mostly outside the US).
Mini-Vivaldi II (sold mostly in the US exclusively through Chris Coffee).

The Mini-Vivaldi has had some small changes. They are just not published on a retailers website, like the Mini-Vivaldi II.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:I don't like the "mk1 and mk2" description. It implies the mk2 is newer (and better). This is not always the case.

We should refer to them as:

Mini-Vivaldi (sold mostly outside the US).
Mini-Vivaldi II (sold mostly in the US exclusively through Chris Coffee).

The Mini-Vivaldi has had some small changes. They are just not published on a retailers website, like the Mini-Vivaldi II.
This from the guy that started "Maxi"! I don't think so, the MK2 is better! :twisted:
oton

Post by oton »

LOL :lol:

Mini Vivaldi II implies newer and better too; clearly for better marketing. :roll:

It could be Mini Vivaldi (EU) and Mini Vivaldi U.S., but the US version (II) it sells too in Europe...
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:
It could be Mini Vivaldi (EU) and Mini Vivaldi U.S., but the US version (II) it sells too in Europe...
I think Chris Coffee has exclusive rights to the Mini-Vivaldi II. I think Chris re-sells his modded machines (another middleman with additonal mark-up of course) and sells them to retailers in Europe and Canada. Over here in Canada we have www.caffetech.com and perhaps more interestingly www.espressoplanet.com in Ontario that sell Chris's machines. At EspressoPlanet they sell both (called US and non-US) and you can see the US version is actually $300 cheaper (not sure what's up there). Chris must have worked out some kind of agreement to sell only in North America for a certain time period to promote the Vivaldi but probably agreed top stay out of Europe to avoid competing with LaSpaziale directly. Perhaps this contract is expiring soon?

It's a shame. I was all worried I was getting something not as good (or older), simply because it was missing the "II" on the name. In fact, there is very little difference and actually the "I" version has some extras that the "II" does not, the the price should be much cheaper due to one less "middleman". I know others outside the US have struggled with this confusion as well, so I think it would eb helpful to clear this up.

JohnB wrote: This from the guy that started "Maxi"! I don't think so, the MK2 is better! :twisted:
Sorry John, it was the long legs on your machine that inspired the "Maxi" name. :lol:
oton

Post by oton »

I can asure you that MIni Vivaldi II is made by La Spaziale in Italy, and yes, Chris Coffee have an exclusivity agreement to sell it in US. (I mean to be the only one US seller). In Europe, retailers can buy MiniII directly from La Spaziale.
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:I can asure you that MIni Vivaldi II is made by La Spaziale in Italy, and yes, Chris Coffee have an exclusivity agreement to sell it in US. (I mean to be the only one US seller). In Europe, retailers can buy MiniII directly from La Spaziale.
Maybe Chris has all North America. You can't get a Mini II here except through Cafe Tech, which is the Chris Coffee distributor in Canada. They sell the Mini II for $2399 (CAN).

I heard a rumour that these exclusive agreements are running out (maybe as of 2009?), so things might be changing.
Endo

Post by Endo »

My machine is pretty much a mk2 now. Total cost ....$35.

Here is how I did it.

Press Hot Water Button for 10 seconds to switch to mk2 mode. Cost: $0

Dual Manometer?

Made PF gauge using spare single PF and cheap gauge (see photo). Cost $14.

.9 mm four hole steam tip?

Buy from Chris Coffee. Cost $15.

Decreased delta?

Included on both mk1 and mk2. Cost: $0

Updated temperature sensing probe (submerged directly into the boilers)?

Included on both mk1 and mk2. Cost: $0

Adjust temperature in 1ºC increments?

Press Hot Water Button for 10 seconds to switch to mk2 mode. Cost $0

LED display in 1 degree increments, from 91 to 97 degrees Celsius?

Buy from Chris Coffee. Cost: $6
I originally thought I'd like to switch the front panel and dual manometer (which I could do for about $100), but I look at the brew gauge so infrequently and the PF gauge is so cheap and convenient, that I don't really see the need any longer.
mk1 to mk2 conversion
mk1 to mk2 conversion
s_led.JPG (54.78 KiB) Viewed 12930 times

Return to “Mini General Q&A”