What's that hissing noise?

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

What's that hissing noise?

Post by chas »

I turned my S1 off while I was out of town over the holidays. When I turned it back on there was a noise that hadn't been there before. It was a definite steam pressue escaping kind of a noise coming from the top area of the steam boiler.

I finally got around to pulling the covers so I could check it out this afternoon. I took full advantage of a cheap auto stethoscope I've had for years in order to track it down. I could hear the hiss right next to one of the bolts that hold down the top of the steam boiler (though there was no visible steam or moisture in the area). I used a 10mm socket to tighten it and the noise instantly stopped! I checked all the bolts on top of the steam boiler. There are 6 or so. Each of them tightened up 1/3 to 1/2 turn.

Not sure if this was caused by normal expansion and contraction, aging shrinkage of the gasket underneath, or a combination of the two. My S1 was just about 11 months old when I noticed this. So keep this in mind as your machines age. Might be a standard maintenance item every 6-12 months. Or maybe I had to do it this once and never will again!

Chris' comment to the above is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" And if you do need to tighten those bolts be careful. If you overtighten and snap one of them off you will be without the S1 for a period of time and without some serious cash permanently!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Barry

Post by Barry »

Wasn't putting the covers back on a load of fun! Getting everything lined up and those bolts back on the sides is just a joy.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

And I never wait until its cool enough so I burn the backs of my hands, too!
Chas
Hottop P/B
szrir

Post by szrir »

I've been getting that hissing noise from the start (1 week ago). I assumed it was normal, now I'm having problems with the steam boiler. I wonder if there is a connection?
Barry

Post by Barry »

My machine is approximately 7 months old and as the steam boiler reaches optimal pressue, I hear the occasional sound of steam "venting". It last a couple of seconds, then stops. I am going to wait and see if it gets more persistent before I pull the machine apart again.

Barry
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Barry wrote:My machine is approximately 7 months old and as the steam boiler reaches optimal pressue, I hear the occasional sound of steam "venting". It last a couple of seconds, then stops. I am going to wait and see if it gets more persistent before I pull the machine apart again.

Barry
I think the pressure relief valve opens when the steam boiler cools. As the boiler reaches temperature the pressure pushes it closed. This sometimes makes a hissing, sputtering noise for a few seconds as it is closing.
Chas
Hottop P/B
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

szrir wrote:I've been getting that hissing noise from the start (1 week ago). I assumed it was normal, now I'm having problems with the steam boiler. I wonder if there is a connection?
What kind of problems do you have with the boiler?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That was a thread from January. Here's the thread were he said he sent it back to Chris for repair. I think it was one of those machines that had metal shavings in the valve.

http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=96
Chas
Hottop P/B
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Right, metal shavings.

The question why I was curious is, that my steam boiler is extremely loud lately when warming up.

If my water heater did that, I would think of replacing it, cause of mineral buildups.

However, with the soft water from Lake Michigan and the water softener from Chis my S1 shouldn't have any mineral buildup in the steam boiler.

Wolfgang
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There's that large brass drain nut which sticks though a hole in the bottom of the chassis. You can always remove that, drain the boiler, and see what kind of crap comes out.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Tips & Tricks”