Mini Changes

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Endo

Mini Changes

Post by Endo »

I was just comparing my Mini Vivaldi to some pictures of the Mini Vivaldi II's online.

My machine is the lastest Mini from LaSpaziale (September 2008). Our retailer in Montreal doesn't go through Chris Coffee so the machines are labelled simply "Mini Vivaldi". There are some changes that I noticed.

Some are simply features from the MkII (like 1C temp increment capability, 15A switch, etc) but others look like improvements.

First I noticed mine came with a German BestCup water filter (to address the sealed boiler scale conerns, I assume?). Then I started noticing a few other things, like the boiler gauge was mounted more solidly using two bolts under the frame.

Next I took the top cover off (see photo).
s_DSC01080.jpg
s_DSC01080.jpg (87.71 KiB) Viewed 9506 times
It looks like they made a cut-out in the frame to clear the valve cup. I assume this will make boiler removal much easier. I also noticed the side panels are attached different (someone please confirm). It appears the panels now have a simple tap extension on the sides so it screws easily to the frame (much easier to remove).

I haven't removed any other panels but I'm wondering what else they changed recently?

Nice to see thay are always making improvments!
zoey

Re: Mini Changes

Post by zoey »

Yes, you are correct on all accounts. I wish I had the new filter.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The fine temp adjustment, 3C up or down in 1C increments, has been around since the first S1 in 2004 unless you are talking about something else. Hasn't the Mini always had this? From the info you posted recently from CC they said they chose not to use the filter in the Mini V2 so it also may have been around for awhile.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

So how do you adjust group pressure on these babies?

Also, I noticed in the Mini manual a note to the effect that the Boiler state is saved in memory. To me this implies, for example, that if you turn the Boiler off and then turn the machine off and back on again, that the Boiler will still be off. If this is true, this is definitely different that how my V2 works. With the original V1 and the V2, the Boiler is always on when the unit is turned on regardless of its previous state.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Yes. The boiler is off when I start it up (if it was left that way). Makes it great for espresso only drinkers.

Sorry if I'm not up on all the changes, but I'm not too familiar with the older design.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

On the other hand the V2 has a way, when the machine is in 20A mode, to get into Economy (15A) mode by pressing and holding the BOILER button for at least 10sec. I don't see any indication that the Mini can do this which would leave use of the 15/20A switch on the controller box as the only way to do the same thing. I suppose it's because the state of the ECON lamp on teh V1/V2 indicates whether the machine is in this state and that lamp has been repurposed as the TANK EMPTY lamp on the Minis.

When the V1 or V2 is placed in ECON mode, that mode IS remembered through on/off and power failures but the Boiler state isn't. It's as if the machine only has room to save one state and in the V1/V2 it's ECON and in the Mini it's BOILER.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
zoey

Post by zoey »

To me this implies, for example, that if you turn the Boiler off and then turn the machine off and back on again, that the Boiler will still be off.
This is correct. I know nothing about previous models (and in most cases, I know nothing about everything).
Endo

Post by Endo »

Ahhh. Very interesting. This makes sense.

I must say, I prefer the Mini method of storing boiler status. I use this a lot since I'm mostly an espresso drinker and I like this default "low power" state. It also improves life since the bolier and heater are not cycled on and off unnecessarily, keeping the machine cooler. Not to mention, it's greener.

The Mini runs really well in 15A mode in the home environment because the boiler is smaller than the Maxi but with the same 1250 wattage. I can go from a cold boiler to full steam in 3.5 minutes, so there is no point in leaving the boiler on and wasting energy. I can see you'd want 20A if you are pulling a lot of drinks in a commercial environment, but then again, nobody would use a pourover in a commercial environment so the point is moot.

Still, I looked inside and found I have the 15A/20A switch on my machine. So it looks like this Mk2 upgrade has now made it into the LaSpaziale production line. Looks like the only thing missing is from the Mk2 is the dual manometer and the 1C faceplate. I don't miss the 1C faceplate since I have the 1C option if I need it but prefer to have the added temperature range of the default 5C setup. I do miss the dual manometer, so I may upgrade this, but I'm not sure yet.

As far as the filter is concerned. I disagree with Chris and like having the filter. It looks like a better filter than the Brita since it has a softening stage. I can always remove it if I don't want it but I can't add it if it's not included! It does take away a few ml from the tank volume. I plan on testing it against my Brita once I get my hardness strips. Thebig problem is getting replacement filters. I still haven't found anywhere to buy a filter replacement.

I don't know if I should call my Mini Vivaldi a Mk1.1 or Mk3. :grin:
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm an espresso only drinker but I run both boilers for more temperature stability :grin:
It seems that the Fluke/Scace reports better temps when the machine is really hot. :blackeye:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I use the hot water tap throughout the day for p/f rinsing, press pot water, ect so the steam boiler is usually on with the group. While 20A may not be "necessary" I like the fact that both boiler heaters can run together when I'm steaming & pulling a shot at the same time.
Niko

Post by Niko »

JohnB wrote:While 20A may not be "necessary" I like the fact that both boiler heaters can run together when I'm steaming & pulling a shot at the same time.
Amen to that.
I couldn't agree more ;-)
Endo

Post by Endo »

True. But if you use a lot of boiler water for presspot, tea, soup, etc. the Mini with its smaller 1.2L boiler and resevoir would not be your best choice. There is always the microwave or kettle.

If you are not a big hot water user, the 15A mode, 3L tank and smaller boiler pair well together. It's not the Maxi, so it requires some re-thinking in terms of power and water efficiency. There is a pay-off since the Mini is cheaper and also doesn't require the plumbing and electrical changes, which makes it very portable. This seems to be very attractive to a lot of small home owners, renters, those who move a lot, apartment dwellers or those who need to install their machine outside the kitchen. For these users, the full blown cafe setup is not an option.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”