It's here!

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
chrisd

It's here!

Post by chrisd »

So after a painful weekend of waiting, my Mini is here! Photo below shows it dominating the kitchen counter and making the Vario look even smaller. I have a feeling there will be words said when my better-half gets home, but sodcakes to it, I love it! :lol: Interestingly, while I was told it was going to be the very latest model, with the embossed logos, it's actually got the printed logo; it's a mk-II though. Does that mean it will have a boiler drain plug underneath?

Realised that, despite everything I remembered to buy, I forgot to get scales, so judged it by eye (based on videos I'd seen from Endo and others filling the double basket). Set Vario to espresso on macro and two notches down on micro, tamped to what I guesstimated was right (tricky to find a 53mm Esproo in the UK, so I've just got a basic metal tamper with a flat base), locked and hoped for the best.

First pull - into two shot glasses - was surprisingly even, considering it was my first ever time tamping. Wouldn't want to have tried it with a bottomless portafilter, though, as I'd probably have lost an eye with all the spritzers! :blackeye: Unfortunately the double-button preset was too short, and cut out after about 15 seconds (I'm timing from the first drops I see coming through the spout, right?) but I couldn't resist and had a quick taste anyway - shockingly sweet! Again, I'm a rank amateur, but compared to what I've had in cafes it was an eye-opener.

Tried again, after setting the button to go for longer, and got to a smudge under the shot glass line in 25s. By then it was pretty blond, so I stopped it; kinda speckled on top. I'd meant to take a photo, but I couldn't help it - whipped out the milk jug and had a go at frothing. Even though I'd had the jug in the fridge waiting, the milk still got hot far too quickly, I didn't have time to do any real foaming/stretching. I can see this is going to be an issue, simply keeping up with what the Mini can do.

Anyway, my first latte was undoubtedly not a patch on anything you guys could create, but to me it tasted amazing :grin: Usually I have just one or two cups of extra-strong drip coffee a day, but now I'm wondering how many shots I could handle before losing the ability to sleep :bom:

Anyway, sorry for the long post but still super-excited by the new toy!

Chris
IMAG0177.jpg
IMAG0177.jpg (114.42 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Endo

Re: It's here!

Post by Endo »

Very cool! The first few shots are very exciting.

Looks like a good start. I suggest you set the temp to 93C and dose by simply leveling off the grounds in the basket with a flat edge (ruler, knife, etc). This will get you near the ideal dose and temp. You'll just need to play with the grind to get the 30ml in 30 sec.

You are likely blonding fast due to coffee roasted older than 3 weeks (fresh roast is essential for good crema).

You machine looks like a Mini Mk 2.1 rather than the new Mk 2.2 (which has the embossed logos and integrated cup tray). Since it has the grey logos from the Mk2.1, I'm pretty sure it has the steam boiler drain. To be sure, just take out the reservoir and look up to see if there is a whole to get to the drain.

The steaming takes time to master (took me about 1 year!). Practice with a half filled 12 oz pitcher of water and add 2 drops of dishsoap. This will save you lots of money on milk as you gain experience ! Watch my Latte video on YouTube if it helps.
chrisd

Post by chrisd »

LaSpaz had set it to 93 out of the box, so I left it at that to begin with. I think I may have been dosing slightly less than you suggest, Endo; I'd been grinding until it was mounded, then spreading it out so that it ended up just a little below the rim. Tamped it was obviously lower again.

The beans are fresh (also arrived today) from Hasbean in the UK; roasted on July 29th according to the label. It may be a) that I'm underdosing, or b) I don't really recognise blonding properly yet :roll: Will have a play in the morning, filling the basket more and then tweaking grind some.

Thanks for the advice on checking the boiler drain, didn't realise it was so easy to check. Just had a look and there is indeed a bolt there, which I'm guessing is the drain.

Will take another look at your steaming video and do some more practice. I had another attempt (with milk) this evening and it was noticeably better than my first try (though that wouldn't exactly be difficult, seeing as first time around I basically just made the milk hotter). I guess it'll be a combination of tweaking angles and timing. Can't wait for tomorrow morning and the accompanying coffee!
chrisd

Post by chrisd »

So, having slept very little - either from excitement or caffeine, I'm not sure :bounce: - here's a quick video of my fourth ever attempt at making a latte. Borrowed Endo's four-way tamper "wobble" in the portafilter before tamping properly, but couldn't get the same milk quality as he managed in the clip I watched. Will have to keep trying!

Pour was 30 seconds from hitting the button, came to just under the line on each shotglass.

Am definitely open to suggestions/advice! :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNGWZGPIRLY
Endo

Post by Endo »

Looking good! You can push a bit harder on the wobble to get a full nutation if you wish (especially as the coffee ages). You might want to tamp a little bit harder. I suppose you know you can use only one glass to get a 30ml shot volume if you are doing an espresso (they taste better than the 60ml you did for the Latte). Resist the urge to tap the PF on the side with the tamper edge! (A bad habit to develop which causes channeling).

The problem you are having with the milk is due to your pitcher size. Switch to a 12 oz (16 max) and you'll get better microfoam and control in the cup. Steady the pitcher accurately just under the milk surface while steaming by resting your right finger on the pitcher and right pinky on the PF handle. (You need to be super precise when using this much power to avoid big bubbles). Also, rest the pitcher on the edge of the cup during the pour for good control when first learning.

Hope this helps. Enjoy! You're looking like a pro already!
chrisd

Post by chrisd »

Thanks Endo. So, if I was pulling just 30ml not 60ml, that would be a single espresso, right? In which case, would I still be using the double basket and the same amount of coffee? Or are you saying it would be better to aim for a ristretto-style shot, cutting the double early so that it's single-volume?

I definitely agree that I need a smaller pitcher, if only because I'm currently steaming about twice as much as I'm drinking! Will have to spend more time practicing on the microfoam aspect, it's tricky.

Appreciate the help :grin:
Endo

Post by Endo »

chrisd wrote:So, if I was pulling just 30ml not 60ml, that would be a single espresso, right? In which case, would I still be using the double basket and the same amount of coffee?
You use 16g of coffee in the double basket, but adjust the grind so you only get 30ml in 30 seconds. They often will call it a double espresso since a cafe still uses double the amount of coffee (hence double the cost). Some may refer to it as a short or tight espresso. Others may call it a ristretto.

DON't cut the double espresso early. This is something else, and will taste very different than what I am describing (which has much more flavor and body).
chrisd

Post by chrisd »

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Will try that next.

I bought a smaller jug today, instantly got better results with the milk. Still not microfoam, but at least not just "hot milk" any more!
Endo

Post by Endo »

Now that you have the right pitcher, try placing the tip in the center, well below the surface, and flip on the lever.

Now quickly lower the pitcher so the tip sits "just" at the surface, and you will here a loud "tssssst" noise. This where you briefly suck air down from above the surface into milk (known as the "stretching" phase). Most people wrongly think the air comes from the steam itself. Be very precise and don't raise the tip too high. You will know immediately if it's too high because milk will splatter everywhere! :lol: Only stretch the milk for about 5 seconds MAX if you want to do velvety microfoam for latte art. If you want to make a dry cappuccino, then you can stretch the full 20 seconds or so it takes to heat the milk.

After the stretching is completed, sink the tip half way to the bottom of the milk for the "rolling" phase. You'll now need to get the milk moving around in the pitcher to "fold and mix" the air you just sucked down under the surface. The pitcher shape can have a big influence here. A tapered wall pitcher or Toroid pitcher will roll the milk in a donut shape from the center out. For this it's best to leave the tip exactly in the middle of the pitcher, pointing straight down. If you have a straight walled pitcher, the bottom corner will be too sharp to form a toroid mixing pattern using the high powered Vivaldi (though it works fine for lower powered machines). Your best bet for a straight walled pitcher is to get a "swirl" going. You do this by putting the wand tip on the side and angle slightly. I don't like this as much since the whirlpool center doesn't get mixed as well (leaving bigger bubbles).

One last note: Don't over heat the milk. 20 to 22 seconds is about right for one latte (6oz or 1/2 the 12oz pitcher). You can use a thermometer at first to familiarize yourself with the sound change as you approach the 150F target temperature. But after that, it just gets in the way and hurts the pattern you are trying to develop for good mixing.

Have fun! :smile:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”