Steam Arm Creak

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
milnerb1

Steam Arm Creak

Post by milnerb1 »

I've been using my new Vivaldi for a couple weeks now and have noticed that the steam arm ball joint has developed a 'creaking' sound when I move it.

I know it relates to the spring inside the ball joint but have a few questions:

- Is this 'creaking' sound normal?
- Would it be good to lubricate the source of the creaking sound?

My concern is that the creaking is due to metal on metal contact and will ultimately result in wear to the ball joint assembly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Steam Arm Creak

Post by chas »

That's normal. I won't worry about it.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
zoey

Post by zoey »

Mine does the same thing.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Mine does it too. Not every time, usually only for large excursions and not for all of those. Nothing to worry about.

My own response is not to move the arm very much.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

As with the p/i I seem to be operating in an alternate Vivaldi universe from everyone else. I can move my steam arm into any position & it doesn't creak/groan or moan. I have had the assy apart since buying it so maybe the noisy ones could use a good cleaning?? Watch out for that spring if you take it apart.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It sounds like you should have all the chrome on yours gold plated!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Weska

Post by Weska »

I think it must be the tall legs, JohnB, that give your machine a certain hauteur and raise it above the crowd.

To the point, you may be on to something about dirtier joints to the steam arm being the squeakers. The dirt might be from the spring collecting some salt from the ion exchange water softener, if that is in use, just like the hot water exit point.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”