220v Machines? Mini-Vivaldi II too?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker(and friend of an S1 owner) and think that an S1 might be in my future. The biggest issue for me is that I need a 220v - i'm moving from the US to a country with 220v 50hz. I've see some machines on the web out of Canada and the UK that are 220v machines but I can't tell if these are are also available in the miniV2. Any one on the forum have a 220v S1V2, or S1V2 mini machine?

tia.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Chris Coffee might be able to arrange something for you or you might just want to contact La Spaziale directly about a 220V machine for overseas use.
Chris won't be able to get one since he has the exclusive for the US models only.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The S1V2 doesn't seem to be a problem in Europe as there are several owners on here. It seems you can only get the V1 version of the Mini over there at this point.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I thought someone in Europe acquired a Mini VII? :?
...maybe I've been smokin' too much chaff from the roasters :lol:
ronsil

Re: 220v Machines? Mini-Vivaldi II too?

Post by ronsil »

miniwarmth wrote:Hi all, Any one on the forum have a 220v S1V2, or S1V2 mini machine?tia.
- I have a S1 Vivaldi Mk2 which I purchased in the UK (220/240v) from Xpress Coffee. Another Company Bellabarista also sells them and the Mini. However I think only the Mini version 1 is available over here at the moment
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Thanks guys - I did talk with Chris a few months ago and was told that he could only get 110v machines in the US.

I just found a place in Canada that sells the S1 V1 and V2 in both 110 and 220. The Mini is not offered in 110. The V2 however is offered as a plumbed and non-plumbed version.

I'm just confirming the electrical specs but it looks like it takes about 10 days to get one. Ronsil - what is amperage fuse are you using(is required) for your machine? I haven't seen those specs for the 220 machine.

Now I have to find a grinder to match. My Mazzer Mini is 110...oy.

tia.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You can always get a transformer for the Mazzer since the wattage isn't so high.
miniwarmth

Obsession

Post by miniwarmth »

Niko wrote:You can always get a transformer for the Mazzer since the wattage isn't so high.
Niko, I thought you guys are supposed to feed my obsession, not think rationally? Just kidding - you are probably right.

n
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sorry,
what was I thinking?!
...you need to get rid of that grinder, replace it with a brand new 220V Mazzer Robur :wink:
And for a backup grinder while you're cleaning the Robur, get a Versalab M3 grinder - just make sure you specify 220V before ordering.
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

miniwarmth wrote: Ronsil - what is amperage fuse are you using(is required) for your machine? I haven't seen those specs for the 220 machine.
I have a 13amp fuse (standard in the UK) witha 220/230 rated machine. Ample for the machine to run in full mode. Econ not used very much. :wink:
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Thanks for the info on the amps as well as the links to Xpress Coffee and Bellabarista. Bellabarista has a great site with a wealth of information including a detailed review of the S1 Mk2.

I think the only thing holding me back from ordering one is that I'm hot on the trail of a well priced 2 Group LM Linea. While I know it's more than I'll ever need, I'm seriously tempted.
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

ronsil wrote: I have a 13amp fuse (standard in the UK) witha 220/230 rated machine.
Ronsil - Any chance you can take a look at an addition power spec on your machine? Can it operate at 50Hz-60Hz or only at 50Hz? The manual I've seen for machines in the UK has the US power specs shown.

Thanks again! I think I've written off the Linea at this time and am going with the S1, but I want to confirm this last detail before moving forward.
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

miniwarmth wrote:- Any chance you can take a look at an addition power spec on your machine? Can it operate at 50Hz-60Hz or only at 50Hz? The manual I've seen for machines in the UK has the US power specs shown.I think
- Sorry for the reply delay but currently in Spain until June. However I will ask my Daughter, who checks my House, to look at the plate behind drip tray.
As soon as I hear I will post 8)
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Rosil - Thanks! But don't put yourself or your daughter to too much trouble. I'll keep looking elsewhere to see if I can identify if the machine operates at 50-60 Hz.

Thanks,
Nik
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

- Just had a call from UK. :lol:

My daughter confirms the plate behind drip tray states Hz 50/60
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

ronsil wrote:- Just had a call from UK. :lol:

My daughter confirms the plate behind drip tray states Hz 50/60
Thanks to you and your daughter! This is good news and basically cements my intention to purchase! BTW, I also asked Spaziale about this and am still waiting 4 weeks on for this information.

Best,
Nik
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

miniwarmth wrote: BTW, I also asked Spaziale about this and am still waiting 4 weeks on for this information.,
- If you rang Spaziale UK thats 'par for the course' I'm afraid :evil:

Whenever I have spoken to them they appear to have very little Vivaldi knowledge on tap - I have been told on more than one occasion "we sell dozens of commercial machines every month against a handful of single group".
You are so very lucky with the backup you have in the US
Sharp
Americano

Post by Sharp »

Sorry to bring this old thread alive:

I am a proud owner of a Mini Vivaldi II and planned to move to europe. Therefore I was wondering if the north american version can be mod to run on 220v. I assume that most of the parts between the UK version and US/CAN version are the same except maybe a powersupply or a board; therefore should be damn expensive to buy the proper original part and replace them.

I tried to contact twice La Spaziale, which they have never answered me.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I believe you'd have to replace at least these parts, maybe more:

1) Controller Board
2) Three solenoid valves
3) Both boiler elements
4) Pump
5) Power cord or at least the plug
6) Not sure about the two triac boards

You'd be better off selling it and buying a 220V machine when you get there.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

One of these would solve your problems cheaply: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0CF8W4?psc=1 The 3000w version should suffice.
shrewd1
Cappuccino

Post by shrewd1 »

If you're in the UK then one of these will solve your problems for ever!; http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/La-Marzocco-GS3 ... nav=SEARCH
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Try inquiring at sovrana.com

I know for a fact LS USA stocks 220v parts
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Faema lever antique(working)
nachowcz

Post by nachowcz »

Sharp,
What course of action did you take? I'll be moving to Jordan this fall and am hoping to bring the Mini II with me. I've been told to use a transformer much like JohnB mentioned above, but I've also heard some appliances burn out when they're sitting on transformers for more than just the occasional usage. Any input from the group?
Sharp
Americano

Post by Sharp »

Hi Nachowcz,

Sorry to see your message about a year later. Turns out my move was a little bit postponed, but i am finally moving this July to poland.

Currently i decided to bring my mini with me, and would use a power converter.I am not too sure about the sizing of it because they (sellers) to use a power converter at least 3x bigger than what the machine is pulling. In this case the machine is rated 2200W, so i would need a converter for like 7000W(!!!?????). These are outrageously bulky and rather industrial instead of home things.

However i had a sudden thought recently that i might not be the only one stuck with this problem, so i posted on this forum->swap, if someone is moving from the reverse direction (220volt->110v), that we can exchange/swap machines. See here: http://s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2318

What have you decided to do? Did it work?

Philippe

Return to “General Q&A”