Mini steam boiler replacement

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
pev
Latte

Mini steam boiler replacement

Post by pev »

Hey all,

I need to replace my boiler on my mini ; I’ve picked one up and looking at fitting it.

Firstly, the fittings on the existing boiler appear to have a sealant or thread lock on some of the nuts / elbows. Can anyone advise what’s used? I’m guessing it’s a food safe thread lock?

Secondly, are there any specified torques for any of the fittings? I asked LS UK who I bought the parts from and they were spectacularly unhelpful / evasive which was a bit weird...

Thanks!
pev
Latte

Re: Mini steam boiler replacement

Post by pev »

E5E52CB6-7346-4921-B99E-B204E541DF64.jpeg
820183E2-02AE-4152-A368-B8E354D22A74.jpeg
Velcro
Macchiato

Post by Velcro »

I was told to use Teflon tape and make them snug. Not over tight. No specific torques.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Velcro
Sette 270
La Spaziale Dream v1.24
IMS Baskets & Reg Barber C-Flat 53.3
pev
Latte

Post by pev »

Thanks for that - did you put Teflon on all 8 threads?
Velcro
Macchiato

Post by Velcro »

I only removed the temperature probe and the pressure release valve. I did use Teflon tape on both.
Made removal for a subsequent descaling much easier.
Velcro
Sette 270
La Spaziale Dream v1.24
IMS Baskets & Reg Barber C-Flat 53.3
eskilbrun
Latte

Post by eskilbrun »

From the yellow color I guess that its a food-safe thread sealant (NOT thread lock) that has a medium break resistance.
I found a thread sealant that has PTFE in it as well. It cures within 30 minutes to withstand at least 10 bars of pressure.
Curing occurs when there is not contact with air (anaerobic) and when the sealant is in contact with metal.

From what I can tell, no specific torque needs to be applied if using food-safe liquid thread sealant. Just screw it in and adjust to the right position. Make sure you have enough threads above the surface to apply the locking nut.

Personally I hate teflon tape and find it difficult to apply and get a proper seal. Modern thread sealants are easy to apply and seal very well.

DO NOT use thread lock. That will be extremely difficult to remove later.
Thread sealants are made medium strength so you can unscrew your pipe connection later.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”