S1V1 upgrade to S1V2 -> worth it?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Sui77
Freeze Dried

S1V1 upgrade to S1V2 -> worth it?

Post by Sui77 »

Hi!

I've got a S1V1 very cheap and it is in great condition after a part by part cleaning job.
However, I'm thinking about replacing the control unit to V2 version for better temperature and pre-infusion, the board cost me appr. $250

Now the big questiion: Is it worth it?
PI could also be installed by using the progressive PI chamber or a manual Switch for the brewing valve.

I will also try to flash the new firmware to the old board, buit I'm not sure this will work.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: S1V1 upgrade to S1V2 -> worth it?

Post by chas »

Chris Nachtrieb, the owner of Chris' Coffee Service, worked with LaSpaziale to come up with the V2 design. For that, he got exclusive rights to sell and distribute that machine in the US for a specific period of time. During this period LaSpaziale still made the S1 for sale everywhere else. In order to save themselves money and inventory, the controller board designed for the V2 also supports the V1 and the Mini's. Mini vs. Plumbed-in mode is set via a factory configured jumper on the controller board. V1 or V2 mode is set using a sequence of button pushes on power on.

So if your S1 was made using this new board design it is programmable and can be upgraded with the new code that includes pre-infusion. Your first step is to determine if you have one of these new board designs. Download and read this V2 Manual. Section 4.10 on page 12 shows you how to tell if your machine is in V1 or V2 mode and how to change it if it is in the wrong mode. If you don't see any of the LEDs blink when you plug in the machine, you have the original non-programmable board and need to replace the board with the newer design in order to get the V2 features.

If you do have the programmable board, I never saw instructions nor a way to get a copy of the code in order to do it yourself. Chris' Coffee Service used to have a nominal charge that allowed you to mail in your board, have them reprogram it, then mail it back. This was a number of years ago so I don't know what the options are now.

Let me know what you come up with.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Sui77
Freeze Dried

Re: S1V1 upgrade to S1V2 -> worth it?

Post by Sui77 »

Hi Chas,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Maybe a longer initial post would have saved you some time.

My machine was built in 2004 (used for 2 years) and is equipped with the old board (no lights flashing when plugged in)
It’s the old board with yellow color, the new ones are blue.

I think the new boards were necessary because of the mini, there were pins added for the tank sensor.

In theory it should be possible to extract the firmware of a new board and flash it to the old one, but that had to be tested.

However, the question is, if the pre infusion and the better offset possibilities is worth the $250 invest?

What’s your opinion?

Return to “General Q&A”