My first day with the VII (w/unboxing pics)

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
clumeng
Latte

My first day with the VII (w/unboxing pics)

Post by clumeng »

Hello S1 lovers....I'm new to the community and thought I'd share my day 1 experience. I also figured if people like seeing iPod unboxing we've gotta show an S1 unboxing so here you go. I think that this will be helpful to those considering the plunge ..I know that I would have liked to see what the setup is like.

My story is probably fairly typical. Been making home espresso for 1.5 years. Started with Rocky and Silvia, added PID, added Super Jolly. Found out the importance of GI/GO (garbage in/garbage out) and have had many happy experiences with 49th Parallel Epic, Counter Culture Aficionado, and Black Cat from time to time althought I miss Kiddo. Took the plunge to upgrade to the S1 after convincing my wife that this was a good idea.

Ordering from Chris Coffee was great as usual. 2 days to get it to me and arrived at the door in good shape. Double boxed like my Silvia was. Free shipping and slight discount applied. Had planned on 1/4" plumbing but they recommended 3/8" so I went with that. Decided against the timer and drain kit after consulting S1Cafe.

First thing was to install the water softener system sold by Chris. Max Adaptor > Shutoff > Softener > Carbon filter > T with valve. > Line up to counter > pressure regulator with pressure gauge > VII. Only glitch here was that I mismeasured the mounting bracket placement so only the carbon is mounted on a bracket fully. The softener is sitting on the cabinet floor...I'l have to secure it. Purged 1-2 gallons at this point and no leaks!!

Unboxed the VII - beautiful and huge amount of anticipation. I took off the heating tray to verify the switch settings inside. Moved the VII to the counter and noted 2 things: One of the feet came off in shipping....no big deal was able to screw it back in. Secondly there was a small nut loose in the bottom of the box. I have no idea where it came from or where it goes (email out to Chris). It fits the screw to the heating tray but I dont think it goes there. No other obvious place. Perhaps it's associated with the foot that came off? Anyone?

Attached the hose to the bottom of the VII. Should have used teflon tape the first time as this connection had a small leak later. Only potential issue with the setup is that the VII is under a cabinet....boy that top gets hot.

Pressure regulator was set initially at 19-20psi so I had to increase that to 25-26psi. 1 cup button was already set to deliver 4oz and the 2 cup button set for 2 oz. My first doubles only produced barely an ounce with the 2 cup setting. With some experimentation I ended up changing the delivery to 3oz to get out 1.5-2oz of espresso. Does this seem a bit off to people? I set the preinfusion for 3sec.

I also noted that after a shot the pressure reads high on the regulator valve...>30. After a cleaning flush returns to normal.

Also I noted that a small puff of steam came out after the preinfusion step without the portafilter in....is that normal?

Shots were very nice even with older beans and the crappy plastic tamper (better one on the way). I have to say that I'm tasting things that I hadn't tasted before with the Silvia which surprised me out of the gate. I admit that I don't have the best palate but I was able to taste much more complexity in the Epic Espresso that I brewed than before.

Steaming power is terrific....for my purposes 15A mode is not an issue to steam and brew at the same time. I made my wife a latte and she was very happy with the temp of it...got hot very very quickly. I'll have to get used to it as it is quite a step up from the Silvia. I was worried that I'd get the 1.2mm steam tip but it appears that they are shipping the 0.9mm tip as the stock version now.

That's what I got for now. The real experimenting will begin tomorrow and when I can get my hands on some better beans. Any tips to pass along would be appreciated. I'll have to spread the pics over a few posts. Hope this is useful to someone out there.
Before
Before
before1.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 22584 times
Hope it isn't empty...
Hope it isn't empty...
VII1.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 22584 times
Double boxing...thanks CC
Double boxing...thanks CC
VII3.jpg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 22584 times
First peek
First peek
VII4.jpg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 22584 times
"red"
"red"
VII5.jpg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 22584 times
Latte

Re: My first day with the VII (w/unboxing pics)

Post by clumeng »

Peeking
Peeking
VII6.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 22583 times
All switches were perfect
All switches were perfect
VII7.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 22583 times
That thing is pretty heavy but my back survived
That thing is pretty heavy but my back survived
VII8.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 22583 times
bottoms up
bottoms up
VII9.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 22583 times
VII11.jpg
VII11.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 22583 times
Latte

Post by clumeng »

after
after
VII16.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 22583 times
VII18.jpg
VII18.jpg (21.44 KiB) Viewed 22583 times

Post by JohnB »

NIce photos! With the new upper side cover mounts I guess we won't get anymore great "dropped the plastic nut into the machine" stories. What makes you think that is the .9mm tip? They still show it as optional on the S1.

Many of us set one of the Volumetric Dose buttons to 2 oz & used it exclusively for flushes. The other I set to 4 oz & just cut my shots manually. If you have the line pressure I'd bump the regulator setting up close to 3b if you want to get the most out of your P/I. The regulator gauge will read standing pressure when idle but the reading should drop to your preset pressure under flow.

(Warning: BCP) If you need a 53mm tamper I have two for sale in the Swap Meet area that are open to offers.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

1) Buy John's Coffeelab tamper. I love mine!
2) It sounds like you're setting the volume without coffee? I've always set mine as I pull a shot.
clumeng
Latte

Post by clumeng »

Took your advice with #1.

I'll start manually cutting off the flow until I get a handle on things. i'd like to use volumetric to simplify things as I get to know the machine and dial in the grind.

Post by Endo »

Welcome Clumeng,

Seems we've owned all the same gear (PID Silvia, Mazzer SJ, Vivaldi). I'm sure you'll enjoy the Vivaldi. It's a great machine to own around the Christmas season when you need to pump out endless mocchas, capps, tea and hot chocolates after dinner. My old Silvia could never keep up with the holidays and I would get endless ribbing (not to mention quite a few missed desserts!!) :-(

I set up my volumetric dosing a bit different. I set the single dose to 1oz (30 ml) of WATER ONLY. I use this twice before the first shot to heat the group head (just like Santa, the Vivaldi suffers from a cold nose). Wait between shots for the LEDs to show you are back to set temp. I also use the single dose for cleaning the PF after I pull each shot, in order to keep the the screens clean.

I set the 2 dose button for 60ml (2 oz) of ESPRESSO. This is the max I ever pull at one time (for double capps). Most of the time I pull a 1 oz espresso (ristretto) using the 2 oz button and cut it off manually. You'll learn you get the best taste when you rely on visual indication of blonding and not volume (since every shot is a little different). You can use volume cut-off for milk drinks, but for truly excellent espresso, only manual will work.

Good luck!
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Mine are set as:

1Cup-4oz(temp change flush, shots)
2Cup- 2oz(Warm up flush, cleaning flush, "i took too long/re-warm up" flush)

I always say Ill program one of them for the coffee im using.. but to keep it where I want it.. Id be programming it every day. No point. I just cut the shot manually. And even if I did program it.. Id still be watching every single shot. Even for milk drinks. Ive got a little standing mirror, which I position so I can see the extraction, so I dont need to bend over. Nice for shots, wonderful for Capps. Its not nearly as elegant as the Speedster or Slayer, but it IS incredibly handy.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Ahhhh...these pictures are great! Thanks for sharing!

We're in Bowie, Maryland and so looking forward to getting our VII—black, not red (...but that red is SHARP!). I called UPS Friday when I saw it was scheduled for Monday delivery, but at that moment was less than 30 miles away in Laurel, and I asked if I could pick it up at the will-call. They said, due to contractual obligations with the shipper (ChrisCoffee), I would not be able to pick it up until they had attempted at least one delivery. Then it started to snow really hard.

Well, now it's Thursday, and it was supposed to be delivered this past Monday...but that wasn't happening with 30 inches of snow on the ground. The family & I did have a path to the house cleared, however:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/4339893344/

Thrice UPS taunted us, saying it was out for delivery, only to "pull the cup out from under us." And now there is another 20-inch layer of drifted snow on top of the previous 30-inch layer. Ha! At this rate, we might be using it by spring. Hmm...Vivaldi...Spring...rings a bell...

My wife Crys & I joked that UPS popped it out of the box at the Landover UPS center. Can you see it now? The drivers, unable to deliver packages, sitting around at headquarters, making lattes, cappuccinos, and espressos, and debating the finer points of bean grind, tamp pressure, and steaming technique.

In all fairness, while we await our Vivaldi with bated breath, we don't want anyone out driving right now. I was out briefly in the Jetta Tuesday morning to hit Safeway, & was never so happy to get home & off the roads in all my life. What an incredible force to be reckoned with.

Thanks again for the pix. It's great to be (almost!) part of the community.
oton

Post by oton »

Oh, another member. Welcome Bob. :grin:

Only a question, the house of the picture is yours? My god, lot of space. You -americans- should see the houses of europe. :sad2:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Welcome Bob and I hear you. I am awaiting a few items myself - though none as much fun as yours. I'll give them Monday since the clean up from last weekend's mess was still in progress. However, the roads on Tuesday between Laurel and my house were in good shape and probably as good as they're going to get for the next week and neither UPS nor FedEx made an attempt.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Your drivers down there must be spoiled by the mild winters you usually get. Even if we had a full on blizzard today UPS would be out tomorrow making deliveries. We were supposed to get 10-14" yesterday but only ended up with 3-4". Looks like I'll be getting out the push broom instead of the snow blower for todays cleanup. :lol:
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

oton wrote:Only a question, the house of the picture is yours?
¡Hola, Oton! To answer your question, the house in the link above is my neighbor's across the street. Ours is very similar, and shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/4339885950/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/4277022182/

It's nice when you can call someplace home, regardless of the size, but we feel very blessed indeed to have the space. Thanks!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

oton wrote: Only a question, the house of the picture is yours? My god, lot of space. You -americans- should see the houses of europe. :sad2:

What's the typical sq. footage of a European house?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Welcome Bob! It's always exciting waiting for the UPS guy. (Reminds me of waiting for Santa when I was young).

I must say I'm envious of your snow. I live in the city that removes more snow than anywhere in the world (Montreal), yet we've only had one small storm this year and being an avid skier and snow kiter, I'm going CRAZY!

The houses here in Montreal are a lot like in Europe. Small and overpriced. I find the home decorating and appliances are an interesting mix of Europeon minimalist with some US extravegance thrown in. For example the dishwashers often use a filter rather than power hungry garberator. The cars are the same way. Lots of Mercedes CDI diesel Smart cars and bikes rather than big pickups.

Guess that's why Oton and I went for the "euro model" (aka Mini Vivaldi). :lol: Hey...I like that name better!
clumeng
Latte

Post by clumeng »

Hope you are drinking some nice coffee soon. Death by a thousand refreshes of tracking numbers at UPS.com ...probably one of the rings of hell....Right next to ring where side-channeling happens with every shot and you don't know why....

I'm a couple of months in with the Vivaldi and couldn't be happier. More importantly, my wife is thrilled. Only problem I had was that about a week ago I had power issues at my GFCI outlet so had to replace that. It was a sad morning when I couldn't fire the thing up.

Enjoy!!!

Post by BobUSN »

clumeng wrote:Only problem I had was that about a week ago I had power issues at my GFCI outlet so had to replace that.
Slightly off topic—that's too strange...one of our GFCIs has been tripping the past two days. It's on an outlet in the garage, and the same circuit handles the upright freezer in the basement. It seems to kick off when I open the door & the light comes on. Static electricity? I'm chalking it up to the unusually moist conditions since last Friday.

Funny note on the rings of Hell. RIght now UPS says they're not providing any services to our zip code until further notice, so I've stopped checking. The doorbell rang earlier & our hearts jumped...but it was only FedEx with two packages. I'm slightly rejoicing because one of them had the tubing cutter I need to plumb in the John Guest tee into my ice maker line. (I had a tubing cutter, but it apparently grew arms & legs & crawled out of my toolbox. I need to put a better latch on that thing...)

I'll post when we get it! Thanks for everyone's well-wishes.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Got it today…albeit without the tee I needed. Human error at Chris', which they are remedying immediately. Have it run into a water bottle for the time being, which seems to be working fine. For anyone who's interested, I'll post pr0n & initial experiences later…after I enjoy a few more lattes…

Such nice people at Chris' Coffee! BTW, Mary told me at 3:00 PM that she had only TWO Vivaldi IIs left. Get 'em while they're hot!
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Carey, I love this red one!

Thanks again for sharing your pics...it inspired me to shoot mine, as well.

Happy spro-ing!

Return to “Pride Page”