Tamper size for double baskets

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
coffeejn

Tamper size for double baskets

Post by coffeejn »

What is the tamper size I need for double baskt? I got a 53.5mm tamper from RegBarber, but it won't fit the double. Fits perfectly on the single though.
PatRi

Post by PatRi »

Well the real question is what size is your double basket?? and here is why I am asking this.

With my Spaziale I took an extra double basket and a Thor 53.5 mm tamper. The day after I came home with the S1, first test shows the tamper goes real well in one basket, but does not even get in the second down to the ridge.
So I sent a quick mail to Chris on this, and he sent me another double basket. This third basket would be just wide enough to tamp but no way I could turn to polish (a good 0.1 mm difference on my calliper with number 1).
Since the Thor is wood, I did a bit of sanding and it is OK now for basket 1 and 3. If I really need number 2 I tamp it with the plastic tamp that came with the S1

The point is one basket was real off, the two others had a significant difference. Now the Reg barber is metal so I would only buy one by sending Reg. a basket to fit it.

Except for that , still as enthusiast about your S1?
rgds, Pat

Return to “Tips & Tricks”