spaziale 53mm basket actual size

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
UFGators

spaziale 53mm basket actual size

Post by UFGators »

I know there is some variation between double baskets since they are just stamped metal but I have two that tamper sits the same way in. I am wanting to order a curved bottom base for my reg tamper but I do not what to go through the hassel of mailing my basket to Canada. What size base should I get? I got my 53mm reg tamper from Chris coffee and I am guessing the base is 53.0 mm. Should I order a 53.1 mm curved for better seal?
DDA

Re: spaziale 53mm basket actual size

Post by DDA »

I didnt know you can order custom diameter for tamper base... :shock:
If I could get the actual inside diameter of my basket using a caliper, what would be the optimal tamper base diameter?
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Maybe its something unique to the Vivaldi, because Ive read this question quite often, but IMO, there is no need for an absolute seal.... In fact, too good of a seal will ruin your shot build, because of the vaccum caused when you lift the tamper out.

Ive never had a tamper custom sized, and all of my tampers, in all of my baskets, both on my Anita, and now on VII, have a few MMs of play. And, if I may be so bold, I pull what I consider great shots, day in, day out. Those 2 or 3mm never even entered my mind until I saw the question asked and talked about on this forum.

I do think a Convex base is better then a flat base. . . I feel it helps to achieve a good puck-to-basket adhesion. Once I started using a Convex tamper, I havent like using a flat base very much at all. Im a fan of the "euro curve", which is more pronounced then the "US Curve". EPNW tampers, convex, are similar to euro curve. Im currently using a new Cafelat tamper, which, i like a lot. It could be a tad heavier, but Im pickin' nits here.

I say get a 53mm and call it a day.

YMMV.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

JmanEspresso wrote:Maybe its something unique to the Vivaldi, because Ive read this question quite often, but IMO, there is no need for an absolute seal.... In fact, too good of a seal will ruin your shot build, because of the vaccum caused when you lift the tamper out.

Ive never had a tamper custom sized, and all of my tampers, in all of my baskets, both on my Anita, and now on VII, have a few MMs of play. And, if I may be so bold, I pull what I consider great shots, day in, day out. Those 2 or 3mm never even entered my mind until I saw the question asked and talked about on this forum.

I do think a Convex base is better then a flat base. . . I feel it helps to achieve a good puck-to-basket adhesion. Once I started using a Convex tamper, I havent like using a flat base very much at all. Im a fan of the "euro curve", which is more pronounced then the "US Curve". EPNW tampers, convex, are similar to euro curve. Im currently using a new Cafelat tamper, which, i like a lot. It could be a tad heavier, but Im pickin' nits here.

I say get a 53mm and call it a day.

YMMV.
Fully agree here. Vivaldi's basket do vary a lot from what I read and there is at least 1mm difference in the 3 baskets I have. 53.0mm is the way to go.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

while i have never orderd a custom tamper, on one of my baskets i often find on looking at the used puck a number of small holes along the edge of the basket where the basket meets the coffee. i have always assumed i am not getting a good seal because this basket is bigger than my others and that a slightly larger tamper would work better in this basket. i do not have this problem with other baskets

does this happen to anyone else and does anyone have a solution 8)
DDA

Post by DDA »

i often find on looking at the used puck a number of small holes along the edge of the basket where the basket meets the coffee
Same thing happens to me. I do the NSEW tamp and I still see it from time to time. I use the Espro convex shaped bottom tamper. I also check the level of my tamp to make sure I dont end up with slanted puck.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Those small holes have often been thought to be areas of channeling.

Sometimes, I get those small holes on the best shots Ive pulled.

What do you think those holes are. . . Evidence of channeling? or 135pounds per square in of pressure being evacuated from the puck in under a second?

I find it hard to believe those holes are evidence of channeling, especially since they happen even on great shots, and the resulting puck is one piece.

IMO, there is not much to be learned from the spent puck.

Dont get me wrong.. Channeling happens... But I dont think those holes are evidence of it. YMMV.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i only see these small edge holes with one basket, so i have assumed they relate to basket size 8)
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

It, of course, IS possible.

But, I think its from the 3-way opening post-extraction. BUT, I think it also depends on the depth of the puck, ie:how much expansion you had; how tight/loose was the shot pulled, the roast of the coffee, and maybe other things as well.

Im not convinced, either way, of what such holes represent. It is 100% possible that you, and many others, are spot on. Whoknows. Maybe it shows evidence of Lateral Channeling. IDK.

Return to “Accessories”