Best dose for a double shot of CCC Toscano

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
UFGators

Best dose for a double shot of CCC Toscano

Post by UFGators »

I just wanted to see what everyone's experiences have been with different doses for the Counter Culture Coffee Toscano. I have found that when I weight 18 grams with a scale and try to brew a double, the puck contacts the screen so I have been using 16 gram and 17 gram doses and grinding slightly finer. I have been getting around 1.5-1.75 ounces and extraction times of 25-28 secs. What has worked well for others? I am tamping about 30 pounds of pressure and I have been switching between 93 and 94 degrees on the machine though I think I get a bit more sweetness with 94C.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Best dose for a double shot of CCC Toscano

Post by chas »

Have you checked out this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=838
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i have had great success with 15gs, plus a few tenths for whats get stuck in the mazzer mini e, at 94 degrees; its always tempting to try a little more coffee and sometimes i go up to 16 or 16.5 for some coffees, including the toscano, but in the double basket, sometimes it doesnt do as well as the smaller dose

having said that, i think i will try the 18g recommendation with the triple basket; i wonder what size baskets they are using at ccc when they mention 18gs 8)
UFGators

Post by UFGators »

michael wrote:i have had great success with 15gs, plus a few tenths for whats get stuck in the mazzer mini e, at 94 degrees; its always tempting to try a little more coffee and sometimes i go up to 16 or 16.5 for some coffees, including the toscano, but in the double basket, sometimes it doesnt do as well as the smaller dose

having said that, i think i will try the 18g recommendation with the triple basket; i wonder what size baskets they are using at ccc when they mention 18gs 8)
Sounds like we have the same setup, I am also using a mazzer mini E. I think 17 is the limit as far as dose goes with this coffee in the double basket, Sure makes one heck of a strong rissetto. I think I will back down my dose to 16 and see if I can get some more volume.
shakin_jake

Post by shakin_jake »

Gator-

Totally off topic but, I had to ask...

Are you in Gainesville? Ever been to Volta Cafe there?

Jake
Reddick Fla.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

18gs of the toscano in the triple basket, really super; absolutely better than the 15gs in the double :bounce:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”