Bought a used s1 vivaldi II

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
henke
Freeze Dried

Bought a used s1 vivaldi II

Post by henke »

20211107_155813.jpg
Hello.

Just bought a used vivaldi and i have 2 issues with it.

First when i turn it the grouphead never gets warn, just boiler and set temp starts to blink.

If i press boiler the grouphead gets warm but no preassure and im not sure the boiler even fills with water.

When i opened the machine it looked very dirty, what is safe to remove and whats not and where should i start to find the glogged inlet?

The valve is hard to come by without removing lots of wiring, not to happy about doing that.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Bought a used s1 vivaldi II

Post by chas »

henke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:51 pm 20211107_155813.jpgHello.

Just bought a used vivaldi and i have 2 issues with it.

First when i turn it the grouphead never gets warn, just boiler and set temp starts to blink.

If i press boiler the grouphead gets warm but no preassure and im not sure the boiler even fills with water.
The Boiler button is supposed to turn the steam boiler on or off, it should not have any impact on the grouphead

When i opened the machine it looked very dirty, what is safe to remove and whats not and where should i start to find the glogged inlet?
You mentioned that the group boiler doesn't heat, but you showed a photo of the steam boiler. You need to get rid of all the mineral deposits and replace and hoses or fitting that are leaking and causing this mineral build-up. I see a small circuit board mounted to the bottom of the chassis that is covered with minerals. I don't know what that board does since I haven't had that board in any of my LaSpaziale S1's. However, it should be cleaned if possible or else replaced with a new one. The mineral deposits should be cleaned up and any leaks fixed before any further troubleshooting steps are done.

Given the mineral deposits on the outside of the boilers, I am guessing that the inside of the boilers is a real mess, too. You should consider popping the lids off both boilers and see how bad the scale is before additional trouble shooting as well.

The valve is hard to come by without removing lots of wiring, not to happy about doing that.
Which valve are you talking about?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
henke
Freeze Dried

Post by henke »

First of all,thanks for the reply.

The valve is on the solenoid, i think you have mentioned in other posts that is usually gets gunked with mineral deposits.

I will try to clean it out and see how much is needed to replace after im done. Again thanks.
henke
Freeze Dried

Post by henke »

So, tried to find the blockage. I can blow from the water intake to the gicleur valve and after to the steam boiler. Should i be able to blow thru the gicleur valve? And would a blockage here also block water to the group boiler?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

On my first S1, I had a mineral deposit on the gicleur itself, which restricted the water flow to the steam boiler. After 60 seconds, the power will go off to the entire machine due to the machine throwing a refill alarm. If this happens, you have to unplug the machine for a few seconds, then plug it back in to restart the machine.

On the actual valve under the steam boiler refill solenoid, there is a screw that goes through a nut. Don't turn the screw, but remove the nut. The gicleur should pop right out. If there are mineral deposits on it, they should be obvious.

FYI: There is almost nothing in the steam boiler water path common to the path to the group boiler.

One other thing you might try is to use an AC voltmeter, remove the wire connector from the back of the solenoid (there may be a screw) and check the voltage at this connector. When the solenoid is energized to allow water to flow, you should see line voltage at this connector; i.e. either 110VAC or 220VAC depending on where you live. Also be sure the Boiler button is On. This button is used to turn off the steam boiler when you only need to use the group boiler.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
henke
Freeze Dried

Post by henke »

Ok, thanks again for the informative answers.

About the gicleur valve, i removed the nut but i had to turn it a few turns for it to be able to pull out. It has threads on the inside so i hope i didnt destroy something :)

Will try to connect it to water tomorrow and see how it goes.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”