Dream Orders On Temporary Hold

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Dream Orders On Temporary Hold

Post by chas »

I checked on the status of the Dream issues with Chris Nachtrieb yesterday. He says they definitely have found the problem and come up with a solution. The problem is that steam from the hot water tap is condensing on the LCD panel control board and causing the machine to shut down. The fix is to dip these boards in Polyurethane to water proof them. He is expecting two coated boards from LaSpaziale this week. Then CCS will test those devices hard to ensure that the fix is a robust solution.

Assuming that goes well, all the current stock at CCS will have their boards replaced and all future machines will come with these coated boards. At that point the Dreams will be put back on the market. So this should happen sometime in September if all goes well.

It is interesting and not really well understood why none of the machines in the first shipment have exhibited this issue even though those boards are not coated. All failing units are part of the 2nd shipment but most of the units in that shipment are also OK.

I have a Dream from the first shipment and have used the hot water a lot without ever seeing this issue.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Re: Dream Orders On Temporary Hold

Post by PyroKerry »

I'll second that, Chas. I think I have the first one shipped and use the hot water function regularly, and have never had this problem.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
Baratza Virtuoso (Preciso burrs)
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

No issues with mine either. In first batch.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
bugeyes

Post by bugeyes »

Appreciated for the info Chas, was wondering when consumer can order this machine again and I found this....
GooseVR1

Post by GooseVR1 »

Hmm, never had any issues either - and I'm with PyroKerry on this one. I'm a "Threshold B" owner.
a312

Post by a312 »

Anyone have any updates as to when these will be ready to ship again?

Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I've been out of town. CCS was going to test the hell out of the board fix while LaSpaziale was shut down for their typical extended European vacation during August. By now, if it worked, then LaSpaziale should be shipping a set of several dozens boards to CCS to replace on their existing machines and Chris may have at least an estimated date to restart shipping. If the fix didn't work, I hate to think how long the delay might be should they have to go back to the drawing board.

I do see that they are still not orderable on-line so they are obviously not ready to roll quite yet.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris says the tests went well but they still have to get the replacement parts from Italy and install them in a lot of machines. So no date yet.
Chas
Hottop P/B
a312

Post by a312 »

Any updates on shipping of the new Dream? I noticed on Chris's website that there is now a mention of new stainless steel front panels. Anyone know about these changes?

Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

A few weeks back Chris did mention to me the items being updated on list that is currently on the CCS website. He also mentioned that he didn't want to make it public until he was within 30 days of being ready to ship. So I assume that means we are within 30 days now. I see that the CCS photo of the Dream shows the steam pressure gauge moved to the right in about the same position that the Dream T gauge is in.

He also mentioned that the metal panels will now be stainless steel. I had thought that they were originally chromed steel. But something Chris said the last time he e-mailed me indicated that the current panels might just be painted steel. I am not sure what the redesigned side panels will be like. If the ones on the CCS website photos are the redesigned panels, I can't see the difference.*

* I take that back. Now that I have gone back and forth between photos of the restyled machine and the old machine, it looks like the front facing edges of the side covers are more stylish.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris has now added a video of the updated Dream and Dream T on his website. In the video you can see that not only have the side panels been restyled but they and the drip tray now have gold flecks in the color. It sounds like they hope to start shipping again in November.

I am hoping that the gold fleck effect is subtle or else I might have to put a disco ball over the machine! ;-)

Dream/Dream T Video
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

I wonder what has been addressed on the inside? Temp sensor reliability? Plastic tubing improvements? And what about us early adopters? Is there an upgrade kit available?
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris has not mentioned anything to me other than conformally coating the front panel circuit boards, moving the gauge in the non-tank versions and replacing the side panels and metal panels with redesigned ones. I will check to see if there are any internal plumbing changes though he probably would have mentioned them. I asked if these updated machines would have a new SW rev or whether they would ship with the current version 1.19. He didn't know.

I know that CCS has previously replaced the 3-way valve plumbing and gone back to the way it is done on the V2s. However, this is only offered to those that are having issues with their current 3-way and/or complain about it.

The initial plan is to retrofit (here in the US) these upgrades onto all the ~35 machines he currently has in stock and then all future shipments from Italy will have these changes. I am sure if someone discovered that they still had one of the machines with the failing display boards, that would be replaced free of charge. However, I seriously doubt they'd also get the other upgrades.

If Chris does offer this as a paid upgrade package at some future time (I have my doubts), I seriously doubt the cost would be worth it.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As of today, pre-orders are open for the Dream and Dream T for delivery in November!
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”