Questions for New Dream Owners (with Sparkle Covers)

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Questions for New Dream Owners (with Sparkle Covers)

Post by chas »

I have had several LaSpaziale S1 machines including the original Dream. They all came with this group wrench:
OrigWrench.jpg
OrigWrench.jpg (1.74 KiB) Viewed 16348 times
I just went to backflush my new sparkle cover Dream and when I went to remove the screens I discovered that they have replaced that original wrench this with new design (and I am not loving it!)
DreamWrench.jpg
DreamWrench.jpg (87.68 KiB) Viewed 16348 times
Am I just "lucky" or does everyone else with the new sparkle cover models also have this new style wrench? If so, do you like it?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Ch83

Re: Questions for New Dream Owners (with Sparkle Covers)

Post by Ch83 »

When I got my unit it came with the first wrench shown. I didn't get graced with that second one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
jemery

Post by jemery »

Mine came with the second one - I haven't used it though.
jemery

Post by jemery »

This might be dumb question, but what is this wrench even for - I removed the screen today and it has a philips.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Does any one else have a Dream with a philips screw on the showers screens or does jemery have a "one-off". I have never seen any iteration of the S1 ship with anything other than the stock bolt i mentioned. However, some users - myself included have - replaced that bolt with an allen wrench style bolt. You're the first I'be heard of to have a philips head bolt thought it may be a good idea.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Just got my new replacement Dream. Latest version with sparkle. Same new weird wrench. Regular hex head bolt, not Philips. Also, as others have noticed, offset came set to -10 f. Not sure why CCS ships them that way. I've noticed that the tubing runs inside the machine are much neater and don't take the sharp turns like they did in the original dream.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
Ch83

Post by Ch83 »

Yeah when I called CCS about my -10F offset with the 1.19 firmware they said to change it to the 0 offset as mentioned here. Not sure why its shipped that way either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Thanks! Offset at 0 and making great espresso again!
Bob
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

After living with the new Sparkle Dream for a few days, and having owned the original version of the Dream, I've noticed a few differences in operation:

1. The 3 way now works quite obviously. On the original Dream, the operation of the 3 way after a pull was almost silent. You had to look at the end of the pipe to verify that a bit of water was actually released, and the pucks were usually pretty soupy. On the new version, the 3 way makes a loud noise flow noise every shot, and the pucks are definitely not as wet.
2. The flow without the PF in place appears to be lower. On the original machine, if you rinsed the PF with a blank shot, after about 8 seconds or so, the low pump pressure alarm would come on and the indicated group pressure was down around 4 or 5 bar. Lots of water flow. On the new version there is much less water flow and the pressure without the PF in place stays above 8 bar.
3. During a pull, there is a loud hissing sound from the flow meter. I think this correlates with point 2 above, so probably flow is restricted through the flow meter orifices. On the original machine, there was much less "hiss" during a shot.

These are pretty superficial observations, and in no way change the quality of the shots produced or the consistency. The new machine obviously recovers indicated temperature faster now after a blank cleaning shot because of the lower flow, but other than that and the drier pucks, all is good.
Bob
jemery

Post by jemery »

Ok - so turns out I have been using the pod adapter since I got my machine a few months ago - thus the philips screw... Contacted CC and they sent me the correct screens and hex head screw - now I know what it is supposed to look like.

Thanks,
Attachments
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 16092 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

So you didn't order it with the pod adapter, it just came with it instead of the standard dispersion disk and screens???
Chas
Hottop P/B
jemery

Post by jemery »

That is right, but I know my machine was one of the first revised models they got so might have been some differences. I just didn't even know it was different for a few months till I started trying to figure out where the replacement screens would go and cleaning etc...
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

At the time they decided to stop selling the old machines and redo them to fix some issues, maybe your machine had been targeted for someone that ordered one with the Pod adapter???
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”