Low pressure at group head

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Doodee
Latte

Low pressure at group head

Post by Doodee »

Hello,

I hope someone might be able to help.
I appear to be facing issue after issue with my 7 year old mini Vivaldi. During this pandemic I have had to replace the SSR and Steam boiler fill probe and now it appears that my pump might be on its last legs.

It has been working fine for some time, but after a recent leak emerged from the resevoir (parts ordered to replace) and having to keep the tank removed from the machine when not on (due to the leak leaving a puddle under the machine) it was running the pump to fill a lot more during shots.
Now it has lost all pressure, and from what I have read online this appears to be an issue with the pump rather than a seal.

I have included a video here:
https://youtu.be/CgbQLLHJP98

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Doodee
Latte

Re: Low pressure at group head

Post by Doodee »

So an update on this.

Decided to change the pump since it is quite old so bought a like for like.
Installed it just now and turned on the machine.
Pumps ran and the sound of filling happened.

However when I pushed the 1 or 2 cup buttons I get the group water dosing system failure error.
No water is pumped or goes to the group. Steam boiler and hot water tap all work and water flows but nothing will go to the group.

Any ideas?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Did you accidentally knock one of the wires off the volumetric doser while replacing the pump? A doser error is what you are getting. If the wires still seem to be correctly attached, unscrew the doser lid, remove the plastic rotating water vane, and check inside the body for debris that might be blocking the water flow. When putting the water vane back it, be sure it rotates freely.

The last time this happened to me and I found no debris inside the doser, I detached the other end of the tubing where water flows out of the doser, stuck it in a bucket, and then momentarily turned on the group. Nothing came out. So I removed the doser and discovered that a small piece of grit had actually wedged inside the small orifice that connects to the tube. I had to actually use my smallest drill bit to drill it out. After that all was well. Hopefully, you discover the problem without having to do this.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Doodee
Latte

Post by Doodee »

Chas you are a legend as always, thank you.

Will give it a try and let you know how it goes.
Doodee
Latte

Post by Doodee »

Quick update on this.

The volumetric dosing switch was in the On position. I changed it to Off and tried and the machine started to pump water again.
However, the new pump has the same issues as the old one with only 1 - 2 bars of pressure happening at the group.

Since I still have a leak at the water intake that I’m waiting for parts to repair I figured I would wait in case that might also be the cause of all the issues.

If that doesn’t fix it when I will have to dismantle the volumetric doser and see if it is blocked.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Unless new or European models have added a switch that older, US models don't have, there is no volumetric doser switch. The only switch I am aware of in newer models is the one on top of the plastic box holding the controller board. This is set to off when you do NOT have the optional timer switch installed and ON when you do. The group does not function when it is set wrong, which would explain why you got back to the original operation when you turned it off.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Doodee
Latte

Post by Doodee »

Sorry yes the timer switch.
I followed this guide:
https://support.clivecoffee.com/la-spaz ... g-problems
Doodee
Latte

Post by Doodee »

Hello again,

Happy to report that the replacement parts did the job.
I replaced everything in the water tank and also the the part it connects to.

First attempt with a blind basket saw the pressure slowly rise and then stabilise to the 9.5 to 10bar mark.

Since some of the parts were 8 years old I also took the chance to descale them.

Now I have a new issue! A leak when the tank is removed, but will see have to research what might be the cause, but for now I can drink espresso again!

Happy days
Attachments
DB8F22FB-F520-43C2-A298-A4EBC84597BC.jpeg
DB8F22FB-F520-43C2-A298-A4EBC84597BC.jpeg (282.44 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
B02968EF-7F1E-4389-9440-9A9FD291D6D1.jpeg
B02968EF-7F1E-4389-9440-9A9FD291D6D1.jpeg (304.76 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
652ACB0D-5509-46C1-A0DB-19C6611B8E31.jpeg
652ACB0D-5509-46C1-A0DB-19C6611B8E31.jpeg (227.74 KiB) Viewed 2449 times

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”