Another New to me thread - thread sealant question

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
studeb
Freeze Dried

Another New to me thread - thread sealant question

Post by studeb »

Hi,

I have a new to me Mini Vivaldi ii with pre-infusion device installed. Like the machine on the other thread, this one needs some love.
So far i drained, flushed, descaled and then flushed the boiler by going through the vacuum breaker. It took about 10 flushes to remove all the sediment before i descaled, and about 10 flushes after descale until there was very little sediment coming out.
I descaled the group by pumping descale through, and performing multiple "head group" cleaning with a blocking disc in the PF. I now reliably get ~8 bar on the pressure gauge. I will work on the pump next, the needle flutters and i think it should be closed to 10 bar, or?

There is a leak on the steam pipe at the joint between the union and the valve pipe assembly. This is the joint between part 228 and 7143 on the parts diagram. If i clean the threads and reassemble, should i sue teflon tape on the threads? Or something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.
mmg
Macchiato

Re: Another New to me thread - thread sealant question

Post by mmg »

The pump pressure should be adjusted, so it might be at 8 bar in your case because it's been set to that.
I remember Chaz told me that, on non-Mini, to get a group pressure of ~9 bar, you would want a ~10.5 bar pressure at the gauge. I don't expect this to necessarily translate to the mini 1:1, but you could try by getting a pressure gauge for your portafilter (they are probably about ~10 if you get the right parts) and checking what you read there. Then adjust the pressure of your pump till you read 9 bar at the gauge.
You can look up procedures for both things, I don't know how to adjust the pump on a mini.

I think I remember reading that the you do not really want teflon in your steam wand (it makes some sense to me), so you might want to clean them up and try just putting it back together. If not, try to see if Chris coffee has the parts. Or trust the teflon!

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”