No Power

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Mschlon
Freeze Dried

No Power

Post by Mschlon »

I bought a used mini Vivaldi II in 2013. It has worked wonderfully until this year.
Earlier this year, several of the water hoses had broken down and became brittle and need replaced. After I replaced them, I still had poor water pressure so I took it to a local Espresso repair shop. They fixed the problem, but I was not completely happy with the quality and cost. I had asked him to do a complete tuneup since it has been seven years since I purchased it. They didn’t put the machine shell back together properly and I felt like they did the minimum repair. It certainly didn’t appear that they had done a full tuneup, but the cost of the repair would’ve made you think they had?
Everything was fine for about two months and now I suddenly have no power. I’m a novice at working on the machine. Other than basic upkeep and a couple simple hose changes, I haven’t done much “under the hood”.

I see that there’s a fuse on the bottom, it does not look burnt out? Probably an easy first thing to replace.

However a lot of the plastic on the connections is brittle and falling apart. I’m not sure if that would suddenly give me no power? There’s no evidence that they are fried. Probably also need replaced. Do I just switch out the casing or the wires as well?

I’d appreciate your help in what they would cause sudden loss of all power.
By the way, the timer also has no power if that helps you.

I don’t have a lot of faith in the local repair shop and I feel like for the cost That they would charge me I would be really better getting a new machine… Which I really don’t want to do that if I don’t have to. This one is served me very well and until this year, it has been steady and reliable. I am a bit worried about the signs of wear in the parts?
I’d appreciate feedback. Admittedly I’ll need some handholding to get this working again.
Thank you in advance!
Mark
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: No Power

Post by chas »

It is most likely that fuse or it could actually be the fuse holder itself. A number of folks on this forum have mentioned that their fuse holders failed. Apparently, LaSpaziale uses cheap 15A fuse holders. Fine a good quality 20A fuse holder and put in a new fuse while you're at it.

Also, many of the crimp connectors use flimsy translucent plastic covers that get brittle with age. I'd get new heavy-duty crimp connectors and replace all of them. I have some I found that have built-in heat shrink tubing. They work great and also help keep moisture out. The voltage crimp connectors on the steam boiler heater element are very prone to corroding due to the high moisture in that area.

These on Amazon are not the shrink tubing type but they will work fine and are cheap: Insulated Crimp Connectors

The ones with heat shrink tubing on Amazon require that you buy an assortment with several hundred other types you won't need. Come to think of it, when I bought mine, I had the same issue and just Googled it. I think I got mine from an automotive supplier.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Mschlon
Freeze Dried

Post by Mschlon »

I was hoping it would be this simple. I found the fuse and fuse holder on chris coffee (where it was originally purchased).
both pretty cheap. I was fearing a deeper issue and questioning how much I could fix myself. I will start here. thanks for the link as well.
Mschlon
Freeze Dried

Post by Mschlon »

Thank you for your wise advice. You were correct, it was the fuse. I did change out the fuse holder as well, just to make sure. I got similar advise from chris coffee a few days after the above responses. Espresso community has good people!
I’m so happy to have a good cup in the am!
Mark

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”