Brand new, 3 way valve issue? Help!

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
MarkM
Latte

Brand new, 3 way valve issue? Help!

Post by MarkM »

Hi all,

I'm sure something isn't right with my brand new Vivaldi Mini (bought a few days ago from authorized UK dealer).

During a pour there is hissing I assume is from the 3-way valve and the needle won't stabilize at 9bar, it keeps fluttering. I've tried many different doses and always does the same, often not even getting to 9bar. When I used a blanking disc however the needle flutters for a few seconds then DOES stabilize at 9bar until I turn off and you can hear it backflushing.

The volume of shot even though I've tried setting to a full cup (to test) will often cut short and random points.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong or could the valve need adjusting?

Have a look here... https://vimeo.com/426409028

Many thanks

Mark
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Brand new, 3 way valve issue? Help!

Post by chas »

I can't get the link to work.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MarkM
Latte

Post by MarkM »

Bah. Thanks for letting me know.

Should work now
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That looks and sounds like pretty normal operation for a Mini. It is normal on a Mini for the pressure gauge needle to vibrate like that. They use a pretty simple method to adjust the pressure and there is no damping used. You may want to adjust the pressure higher, however. See the manual linked below if the manual you currently have doesn't explain how to do it. If you set the pressure using a blind basket the actual pressure in operation will run lower as the pressure drops when water is flowing through the group. There is normally a 1-1.5bar difference. So you might want to set the group pressure to 10 bar with a blind basket.

Also, you may need to adjust your volumetric dosing. It should give you a pretty repeatable result with no coffee in the portafilter. However, adding coffee puts in a big variable. The amount of the water that remains soaked into the coffee varies greatly with quantity, tamp pressure, type of bean, age, roast, etc. No matter how consistent you are from shot to shot, you will see some variability in coffee quantity.

http://s1cafe.com/s1v2/MiniV2Manual/Mini_V2_Owners_Manual_RevH.pdf
Chas
Hottop P/B
MarkM
Latte

Post by MarkM »

Thank you for your reply. I'll give a pressure increase a go.

With the volumetric dosing, I did an experiment where I set it very high, like a full cup, but was still cutting short when pulling occasionally, again with the needle not hitting 9. Is there some type of automatic cut off the machine will do no matter what the volumetric setting has been set to in a certain situation? Like over or under pressure?

Thanks
MarkM
Latte

Post by MarkM »

It's says page not found
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”