Moving to 230v overseas; transformer safe?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
nachowcz

Moving to 230v overseas; transformer safe?

Post by nachowcz »

All,
I've searched around the boards for a while and haven't been able to find a precise answer as to if it's safe to run a US based machine overseas on 230V/ 50Hz. I'll be moving overseas this fall and am hoping to bring the Mini II with me. I've been told to use a transformer but I've also heard some appliances burn out when they're sitting on transformers for more than just the occasional usage. Any input from the group? Or does anyone know a vendor in Amman, Jordan, that sells Spaz's?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Moving to 230v overseas; transformer safe?

Post by chas »

The main rule of thumb I have seen is that you should oversize the transformer by 3x. In this case that would mean a transformer capable of supplying about 6000w.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
nachowcz

Post by nachowcz »

Thank Chas. I assume that actually means add the Mini plus the Vario.
Sharp
Americano

Post by Sharp »

i'm running my S1 Mini II since July 2017 on power converter (120->230V/Poland), so far so good. I'm using a 3000W converter with 2 sockets of 120V so I can use my mini mazzer as well as my S1 mini. No prob so far.. except that the converter is as bulky as a tractor can be :P

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”