Mini Vivaldi II-Water Sensor Problem

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Makanmata

Mini Vivaldi II-Water Sensor Problem

Post by Makanmata »

I have a 3-4 year old Mini Vivaldi II, which had not previously given me any problems. Recently however, I have had problems with the water sensor light coming on despite the fact that there is plenty of water in the reservoir. I called Chris' and was told to descale the reservoir on the theory that scale could be blocking the magnetism, and did so with no joy. It was then suggested that I put insulation tape on the reservoir so that the drip tray could apply more force upon it, and to play with the angle of the sensor in the machine, and these got me going again. This fix though has been temporary, and the problem has begun to recur frequently again, and today I can't even use the machine at all despite trying all of my tricks repeatedly.

I am very frustrated, and looking for a simple solution to what I am thinking must be a simple problem. With so many components potentially at play, I am trying to narrow down the real culprit so I can fix only that. I have heard speculation that these problems are caused by a reduction of magnetism in the sensor, but no confirmation that this is a real concern (and Chris' didn't mention it as a possibility the last time I spoke to them). The sensor is another possible culprit, but I just don't see what can go wrong with that -- and it seems like a bit of a pain to replace.

Can anybody offer any advice? Thanks in advance.
GDK
God Shot

Re: Mini Vivaldi II-Water Sensor Problem

Post by GDK »

Try this: bend the metal strip sensor is mounted on just a bit forward (1-2 mm). There may be a gap between the tank wall and the sensor and that way you can close that gap.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

GDK wrote:Try this: bend the metal strip sensor is mounted on just a bit forward (1-2 mm). There may be a gap between the tank wall and the sensor and that way you can close that gap.
Bending the metal strip had been giving me some relief, but no longer does the trick. There no longer seems to be any position for that metal sensor strip to be in which will render the machine operable. That's why I'm focussed now either on a bad sensor, or a bad magnet.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Maybe try a stronger magnet to see if it turns the light off reliably. You can get one of those collapsable pointers that has a magnet on the end for retrieving bolts that fall inside your car. Most hardwares have them.

Once you've determined it's the magnet, it's a simple fix to replace.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

Endo wrote:Maybe try a stronger magnet to see if it turns the light off reliably. You can get one of those collapsable pointers that has a magnet on the end for retrieving bolts that fall inside your car. Most hardwares have them.

Once you've determined it's the magnet, it's a simple fix to replace.
Good idea, thanks. I just did it with one of my kid's toys, and the light went on and off each time I touched the magnet to the sensor. It appears that the culprit is the magnet in the reservoir, and not the sensor itself. I'm glad I checked this board before going through the hassle of swapping the sensor.

I understand that the newer units have a replaceable magnet in the reservoir, but it seems that my magnet is encased in plastic and can't be removed. Am I missing something here, or do I just swap the reservoir.

Thanks again for all of the useful information and assistance.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

I just spoke to Chris', so I can answer my own question. It is possible to remove the plastic cross that holds the magnet into place in the reservoir, and attach a new one once the magnet is replaced.

Although my machine is well out of warranty, they are most graciously sending me a replacement magnet and replacement plastic cross without charge. There are many businesses that should learn from Chris' how to garner customer good will -- even a customer operating on no coffee this morning -- what a great company to deal with.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Magnets can lose their strength over time. If you're feeling adventurous, you may want to try "remagnetizing" your float using a neodymium magnet.

BTW, what glue did Chris say to use to hold the new plastic cross in place?
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

Well, the drama continues. My parts arrived today, with clear directions, and I replaced the reservoir with the new magnet and the light immediately turned off. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I immediately noticed that the pump sounded more high pitched than normal, and also that it wouldn't turn off -- the reason being that it is not sucking in any water from the full reservoir. I tried jostling the machine and the reservoir, but I wound up turning it off for fear of burning out the pump. Will call Chris' in the morning and see what their thoughts are, but interested in any ideas in the meantime. For whatever its worth, I almost never turn the machine off (only for vacations, etc.) but I had it turned off for the past two days while I waited for the parts to arrive.

Incidentally, I did not glue the cross in. It is quite snug, and I'm confident that it isn't going anywhere.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Makanmata wrote:....it is not sucking in any water from the full reservoir.
Do you have the water softener installed? If so, remove it.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

Endo wrote:
Makanmata wrote:....it is not sucking in any water from the full reservoir.
Do you have the water softener installed? If so, remove it.
Wow, well done!! I didn't expect that to work, but it did. I assume you are referring to the little dongle with the nylon mesh that is on the intake valve.

Should I put it back, or is that piece not important? Also, does this indicate a weak pump or some other problem? It could just be my perception, but it does seem as if it is taking longer than normal for the pump to suck in the water.

Many thanks.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I was referring to the water softener catridge (which can dry up and block if unused). But it seems the small filter they sometimes install can also cause sufficient restriction to stall the pump (especially if there is some air in the system from prolonged rest). You can try cleaning the filter, checking for blockage and that water passes freely, then re-install. If it still blocks, I'd just leave it out. I often run without it when I'm running RO water rather than the softener.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

My machine has been working great since the last time I wrote, but now after the first time the machine was turned off, the pump isn't able to suck in the water again. This time however, I have no mini-filter to take off, because I never put it back on since the last time. Any thoughts on what I might do now to get it going again? Thanks in advance.
Makanmata

Post by Makanmata »

I solved the problem for now. I used a lot of backwards force to press the reservoir against the back of the machine and held it there. I could hear the pump struggling a bit to suck it in, but eventually it did, and now its working normally.

I wonder though if this means that I need to replace the pump, or have some other problem that is causing this.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sounds like you have a poor connection between the reservoir and intake.
caf4brains

Post by caf4brains »

I've had all the problems that you are having. Specifically for your latest issue of the pump not getting enough flow I disconnected the pump suction line from the insert that mates up with the reservoir confirmed that it wasn't plugged. I then bent the metal tab that holds the insert towards the front of the machine a "bit". This moved the insert closer to the reservoir, but not so much that the sensor loses contact with the back of the reservoir. The pump now gets suction because the insert fully depresses the valve plunger within the reservoir outlet fitting. There is a happy medium between moving the mounting tab too close to the sensor and loosing pump suction and too far towards the reservoir so the sensor fails.
Sharp
Americano

Post by Sharp »

I guess similar issue here:
My Mini II struggle to suck water from the reservoir. If I heavily "press the tank towards the back of the Mini", then it can pump water. I opened the machine a few weeks ago, cleaned the head that goes in the reservoir. I thought it would fixed it but the problem quickly came back. I didnt dare to band the metal bar holding the head as it looked rather strong and firmly fixed. But I'll give it a try as caf4brains seems to say it worked for him :)

For the record, that could have been an issue when I shipped the Mini to europe (where I currently live). Maybe something got "shifted" inside. You never know how careful they are when shipping wood-pallets.. :P
Sharp
Americano

Post by Sharp »

Apparently, bending the metal plate at stand at the back of the reservoir did the trick. For the reference, I managed to bend it without opening the machine. Just used a tool small enough to go through the space of the water tank :-)
KuksonGarage
Freeze Dried

Post by KuksonGarage »

Hi I have similar problem with S1. Sucking water genearitng noise. Pulling with one hand water box while coffee is making helps for that. I have replace rubber orings in connection but without any positive result. Is there some Way to connect water by home water pipe? Without water box? Or maybe do You have another solution? Before I bought machine water pump was replace to new one.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”