CCC Toscano

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
JohnB

CCC Toscano

Post by JohnB »

I figured I needed a break from fighting with my most recent batch of Black Cat so I ordered a bag of Counter Culture Toscano. Pulled 4 doubles yesterday & even though it was only 3 days off roast all shots were very good. I tried 3 different temps before emailing CCC to see what temp they used to get the best flavors. 91C/16g, 93C/16g, 94C/16g & 94C/18g. My favorite was the 18g shot, same dose I liked with the old Black Cat & Terrior Calabria.

Here's the reply I got from CCC late yesterday:
"Our roasting department suggests starting with Espresso Toscano in the 200-202 range dosing at 18 grams. Our La Marzocco is set for 200 degrees. I
boldstep

Re: CCC Toscano

Post by boldstep »

Thanks for the recommendation. Just placed an order for two bags! :D
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Along with the Toscano I got a bag of the CCC Kenya French Roast Kangocho which I thought might make an interesting Press or "in cup" filter brew. The bad news is that when brewed in a press or Finum filter it was at best ok. Much of the Kenyan flavor that I like was masked by the darker roast. The goods news is that when pulled as a 17g double at 93-94C it was a chocolate delight as a straight shot. This morning I used it in a Cappuccino for a non Espresso drinking friend & he was raving about the flavor. So if you like chocolate in your shots and/or enjoy milk drinks you might want to give this one a try.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

This blend has literally spoiled me for all others. SM Liquid Amber? Not anymore. Black Cat? Nope.

Toscano is my "go-to" and at 94C I find it fantastic.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

CCC is offering $2 shipping within the cont. U.S. on any coffee order for the month of August, subscriptions excluded. A good time for you West Coasters to try some fine Espressos/Coffees.
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Great tip, thanks John. Just ordered two new blends to try including La Forza...
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Let us know what you think of them, I've only tried the CCC Toscano & a Kenyan s/o so far.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I've tried them all now - and Toscano remains the favorite. La Forza isn't bad, though... :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

hlsheppard wrote:I've tried them all now - and Toscano remains the favorite. La Forza isn't bad, though... :wink:
What was the Aficionado like?
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Kinda mellow. Reminded me a bit of SM's Classic Italian espresso. To me - nowhere near as "special" as the Toscano. Wonderful - but it hit me as a "been there done that" blend. Hope that makes sense.

I think Metropolis' Redline is a better blend than this one (just my $.02)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Whats your All Time Favorite blend? Mine would probably be last winters version of Black Cat but I also really liked S/M's Liquid Amber except for the wicked caffeine kick.
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Just got done with 1 bag of CCC La Forza: it is good but its no Toscano. First, I didn't find it getting better with age like Toscano miraculously did (like John B reported) -- La Forza just seemed to fizzle out. The bean really shines with Milk (and I don't say this often). It was almost like a dark chocolate milk when I drank it as a machiato. Not sure how it performs as a latte. My final settings were 92C, 17g, 27-30s. Now on to the next CCC blend!
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i had a great shot of aficionado earlier today, 15gs (my usual) at 94. the toscano is great, but this last one was clearly comparable. i always use 94 degrees for their blends. what are other people using; is their any roaster recommendation 8)
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

JohnB wrote:Whats your All Time Favorite blend? Mine would probably be last winters version of Black Cat but I also really liked S/M's Liquid Amber except for the wicked caffeine kick.
MY personal favorite was some S/M's "Puro Scuro" which I roasted myself to French level. It was simply fantastic after a couple days. Too bad I've gotten lazy with the home roasting these last years... :?
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

I tried the CCC Aficionado today; it is my least favorite of the three I tried. It is roasted in a northern italian style, i.e. light roasted. I found 94C to be a good choice for the bean but I still found it kind of uninteresting and blah. Any day of the week I'd pick Espresso Vivace's Dolce blend over Aficionado, which is also a northern Italian roast.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

boldstep wrote:I tried the CCC Aficionado today; it is my least favorite of the three I tried. It is roasted in a northern italian style, i.e. light roasted. I found 94C to be a good choice for the bean but I still found it kind of uninteresting and blah. Any day of the week I'd pick Espresso Vivace's Dolce blend over Aficionado, which is also a northern Italian roast.
94C seems pretty hot for a light roasted coffee. Did you try 91-92C to see what the flavors were like?
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

Thanks for the tip on the CCC Toscano. I bought some and all I can say is "WOW!" This stuff blows away the several other coffees I've tried since getting my machine a couple months ago. My new favorite! :grin:

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”