Problematic Smit and Dorlas Bean

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
boldstep

Problematic Smit and Dorlas Bean

Post by boldstep »

Hi,
Has anyone experimented with these beans?

http://www.smitdorlasusa.com/p-15-espre ... inale.aspx
(Smit Dorlas USA - Dutch Gourmet Coffee)

I read the rave reviews about these beans so I was excited to try them. Unfortunately, I've found that this bean behaves differently then anything else I've tried; the espresso either comes out too quickly with lots of channeling OR it comes out very slowly, unevenly and in dribbles with no tiger stripping and very little crema. I have enough experience now that I should have been able to dial it in by now. Anybody else had an experience like this with this bean/roaster or another beans?

Thanks!
Niko

Post by Niko »

how dark is the roast?
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

Hi Niko,
It's neither an overly dark or overly light roast. I'd say it's in the middle tending towards a dark roast. I'll try to post a video to show how it behaves...
Niko

Post by Niko »

If it's dark - I'd lean towards the Ristretto side of the street with that one. Grind really fine, tamp light and give it a shot to see what happens.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Are they roasting in the U.S. or is it imported already roasted? How old is it?
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

My guess is that it is either old or possibly higher in acid which I have found makes it more difficult to deal with. One was a medium brown bean, high in acid from Italy, prepackaged (can't rememember the name for sure) and I had a devil of a time to pull a good shot. Finally gave up and blended it with the house espresso of my local blender.

They do date the bags (note the one on the site says April 12, 2007, probably from the sample that boldstep got. LOL

Would agree with Niko too. Try a fine (finer) grind and tamp lightly but as level as possible, also overfill slightly.
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

You guys are great! Thanks for all of your informative replies. I tried grinding finer and tamping lighter and to my surprise and delight it worked! What I got was still strange (to my eyes) but still a reasonable pull: the pour was quite thin and very black with very little crema. However, I saw tiger stripping and I got ~1 oz in 27 secs. Despite the reasonable pull, I still don't like what I tasted. The lack of crema leaves me longing for the silkiness and texture I am accustomed to. Also, the coffee is lacking in complexity. It almost tastes like the SO I've tasted before.

Regarding the other comments: the bean was fresh based on the date on the bag and the pleasant smell. As for the question about where they roast: I am not sure. I assume in the US due to the apparent freshness. Thanks again for all of your help!

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”