Redline

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
JohnB

Redline

Post by JohnB »

My Liquid Amber & Black Cat are getting low so I was thinking of trying the Metropolis Redline. Anyone here familiar with it? Likes? Dislikes?
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

John I've been drinking Redline almost exclusively for 2 years.
Fabulous coffee, but VERY different from Black Cat. I prefer it, obviously.
Best at 16-16.5g at 94C, 25-30sec, 1.5 oz double. Great stuff. Much more fruit and berry with less chocolate than Black Cat.

Jeff
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It sounds pretty tasty! I'm looking for something that lends itself to straight shots as I have some other stuff http://www.specialtyjava.com/Espresso_Organico.htm coming for the milk drinks. Thanks for the temp/dose tips.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Thanks for the tip on the organic espresso, John! I just ordered 3 pounds to try. You just never know what can be the next phenomenal bean! :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

hlsheppard wrote:Thanks for the tip on the organic espresso, John! I just ordered 3 pounds to try. You just never know what can be the next phenomenal bean! :wink:
Did you get one of these for the fridge?
http://www.specialtyjava.com/Magnets.htm I think the Folgers magnet is my favorite.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

cappadoc wrote:John I've been drinking Redline almost exclusively for 2 years.
Fabulous coffee, but VERY different from Black Cat. I prefer it, obviously.
Best at 16-16.5g at 94C, 25-30sec, 1.5 oz double. Great stuff. Much more fruit and berry with less chocolate than Black Cat.

Jeff
How awesome is this site? I have two pounds of Redline coming any day now and I already have suggested dosage and temp!

I loved it with my Silvia. I'm sure I'll love it even more in the VivII.
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

BTW guys,
I've played with Redline a lot! It is very good a higher doses as well (up to 18.5g). I just prefer the lower dose for the more accentuated high notes rather than the more earthy, caramel low notes at higher doses. YMMV. It is good between 16-18g, 93-95C.

Jeff
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

hlsheppard wrote:Thanks for the tip on the organic espresso, John! I just ordered 3 pounds to try. You just never know what can be the next phenomenal bean! :wink:
Howard - Have you had a chance to play with the O/E yet?
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

JohnB wrote:
Howard - Have you had a chance to play with the O/E yet?
Yessir! I'm through about 1 1/2 pounds so far. I did a bit of temperature tweaking this morning, but I think I liked it better at 95C.

It has much more "fruitiness" than I am used to along with a good bit of floral qualities as well. The crema doesn't last quite as long as I'd like - but that's not the end of the world... In milk drinks - the blend does VERY well and I seem to get almost a milk chocolate flavor that I enjoy a lot.

Overall - a VERY nice choice. I also truly like the way the company roasts and ships quickly and actually send you a follow-up e-mail from the roastmaster to voice any concerns or compliments.

Now - if they could only sell it for $6 a pound like my "main" blend! That would be too good to be true, I suppose... :scratch:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

At $9 lb its not too pricey compared to others but not something I would use for straight shots. Excellent in milk as you said although I still prefer the B/C or Liquid Amber in my Cappos.
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

John (and all), what would you recommend for straight shots then? I'm still searching for THE ONE. ;) most i've tried are decent for espresso and of course milk based drinks makes nearly anything (slight exaggeration) halfway drinkable. but 95% of the time i want just straight up spro.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I did enjoy the Liquid Amber as a straight shot but I'm still searching for something "special". Looks like the Daterra, Calabria will be next before I order some Redline.

http://www.terroircoffee.com/store/more ... hp?gid=181
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

i just ordered the liquid amber from sweet maria's as it was this week's espresso roast. i used to roast the monkey blend a lot when i first really got into spro 5 years ago.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

ebohling wrote:i just ordered the liquid amber from sweet maria's as it was this week's espresso roast. i used to roast the monkey blend a lot when i first really got into spro 5 years ago.
Have a chance to try it yet?
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

just tried it this morning. i still have some dialing in to do on the grind, but initially i'd say it was more flat than Stumptown's Hair Bender, but less bitter. Again, that's only after two shots and they were rather fast on the draw. Give me a day to get the grind right and I will give another perspective.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

If you get it right it will leave a licorice after taste that lingers for quite awhile. It also packs a strong caffeine punch.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”