Decaf Espresso

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
OskiFan

Decaf Espresso

Post by OskiFan »

I am a new V2 owner (just purchased, not yet arrived). I wanted to thank you all for your posts! Your informative comments is what convinced me to get the V2 and a MACAP stepless.

So..I also bought some Black Cat Regular and Decaf. I try to stick Decaf at night (unless I'm trying to stay up past 2AM!). I know the grind and possibly brew temp has to be different for decaf to compensate for a drier bean. Can anyone summarize what the differences. Is the brew temp higher or lower? Grind finer or coarser?

Thanks
Niko

Post by Niko »

I hardly ever make decaf.
The only things I remember is that it roasts different and grinds way different than regular beans.
I remember having to grind really fine like a monsooned coffee. Temp-wise it wasn't much different than other beans.
OskiFan

Decaf Espresso

Post by OskiFan »

Thanks for the help. I know I read somewhere the temp is lower also, but I'l have to play with it and see.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I don't think I used lower than 93C on decaf.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I tried some of the Barrington Gold decaf tonight & noticed that it pours blond right from the start with no noticeable striping. It produced a nice cone & poured 20+ seconds before the cone collapsed but it was blond from beginning to end. Is this typical of decaf or indicative of something I'm doing wrong? Brew temp was 95*c for the first & 94*C for the second.
Last edited by JohnB on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Some decafs are like that right out of the gate, blonde all the way.
That's pretty good that you got the cone to hold for 20+ seconds.
More importantly...how did it taste?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:Some decafs are like that right out of the gate, blonde all the way.
That's pretty good that you got the cone to hold for 20+ seconds.
More importantly...how did it taste?
It tasted fine in a Hazelnut Latte which is the best use for decaf Espresso I've found. Can't say it makes a great tasting straight shot but that could just be my brewing inexperience. When I want to enjoy a nice decaf (Sumatra, ect) I brew it up in a french press.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I played around with the BG Decaf again tonight & got several tasty straight shots. Second one ended up in a delicious Mocha latte but the first was very drinkable straight. Dosed at 16g & brewed at 94*c & then at 93*c.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”