Chas Favorite Blend

Discussion of the merits of various green beans, where to obtain them, and how best to roast them.
admin
Site Admin

Chas Favorite Blend

Post by admin »

It seems only fair if I'm going to add a new section to the forum to kick it off with a post.

I like to buy a lot of different types of beans and try my own blends. I have often used Smith Farms Kona and Monsooned Malabar with other beans in blends, but only recently did I try a 50-50 mix of Kona and Malabar. Wow, that's a keeper!

Due to the very different nature of both these beans, conventiional wisdom would say to roast them separately and then mix them together. However, I have been roasting them together to Full City with excellent effect. One of these days I'll try roasting them separately. If if makes a big difference, I'll report back.

I like the fact that the Malabar smooths out the sharpness and acidity of the Kona.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com

Re: Chas Favorite Blend

Post by Guest »

admin wrote:Due to the very different nature of both these beans, conventiional wisdom would say to roast them separately and then mix them together. However, I have been roasting them together to Full City with excellent effect
I think a lot of the small batch, artisan roasters do this because it is the only practical thing to do. I have gone to pre-blending everything I blend. I have never had a problem mixing Brazils with East Africans or Monsooned Malabar or Indo(of which I use little, but it works fine). Sometimes hard bean Centrals can come across a little too much in a pre-blend and then I just cut back the percent in the next roast. A typical espresso roast for me would be 60% DP Brazil, 20% Harrar, and 20% Monsooned Malabar. I have had absolutely no problem pre-blending something like this and roasting it to a full city or full city+.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the post! You also reminded me that when I set up a new forum I need to adjust the permissions since the default isn't right. Guests aren't supposed to be allowed to post. It's fixed now, but please join, and come back for more posts! Of course, you may already be a member that just didn't log in when he found he could post without doing so :shock:
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
BillK

Post by BillK »

I hate to disappoint you but that was me. I forgot to log in and it let me post a message anyway. That's a first.
Cafesp

Re: Chas Favorite Blend

Post by Cafesp »

admin wrote:

I like to buy a lot of different types of beans and try my own blends. I have often used Smith Farms Kona and Monsooned Malabar with other beans in blends, but only recently did I try a 50-50 mix of Kona and Malabar. Wow, that's a keeper!..
I know it take years 4 me to try out & find out what really my truly taste will be! :roll:
I'll roast your favorite blend as my first learning step. Can you give more details where to get those beans, and how to roast them? :roll:
Thanks

Cafesp

Return to “Green Beans & Their Roasting”