Tamper Enlargement

All Discussions about 53ish mm tampers for the Vivaldi
spaz2

Tamper Enlargement

Post by spaz2 »

After being frustrated with a espro tamper that didn't really fit any of my 53 mm baskets well and getting no where with polite requests to espro, I finally found a fairly easy low teck cure for my sloppy fitting tamper.

I wrapped a strip of bronze shim stock around the shoulder, using slow setting crazy glue in a couple of spots to secure the wrap. The difficulty was getting the wrap started straight, which took 3 tries. Overlapping the bottom edge a hair and just a little filing gave a good bottom edge. I only had 0025" shim stock to use so 2 wraps gave a O.D. of~ 53.65 mm. It only fits one of my 3 baskets properly without sticking but that's fine with me. The basket sides are now clean and the occasional side channeling is gone. A 16.3 gram load in this particular basket seems to give me good 25 second pull using Blue Bottles' Hayes Valley Blend. I've been using this modified tamper for 2 months now and still works fine. Give it a try.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Where's the pics?!
I wanna' see... :D
spaz2

Post by spaz2 »

Pardon me, I'm new at sending pics this way. Here is another attempt at sending the pic to support the modified espro tamper post. Image
Niko

Post by Niko »

VERY NICE!

michael

tamper base

Post by michael »

where do you get the bronze shim; what do you use to get a straight cut edge 8)
spaz2

Post by spaz2 »

I used a pair of scissors and the shim stock is available thru automotive and machine shop supply houses. You may be able to buy it already cut in ribbon form in bronze or stainless steel. It's inexpensive.

Return to “Tampers”