dark room timer for dosing

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
DDA

dark room timer for dosing

Post by DDA »

Hi All,

Merry Christmas!

I like the idea of using a dark room timer to aid in dosing same amount of grinds everytime. I would like to use the timer on a mazzer grinder with automatic switch, however, when I tested/simulated how it would operate by unplugging the grinder while its running, it didn't return to running/grinding state when I plugged it back in. I was under the impression that the dark room timer will act as the sole switch for the grinder. How does this setup actually work (for those who used it on automatic mazzer)? Do I have to twist the switch to START position then trigger the dark room timer?

Thanks.
Dave
JohnB

Re: dark room timer for dosing

Post by JohnB »

I'm using an analog Time-O-Lite enlargement timer to run my Mazzer Major. It works well to get you in the ballpark & has a "pulse" function for fine tuning the dose. If you really want accuracy I'd recommend one of the digital timers but be sure it is rated high enough to handle the Mazzers draw (amperage).

To answer your question you need to remove the wires from the 2 (upper & lower) doser switches where they attach to the bussbar inside the grinder. You then place a jumper between the two now empty wire connections on the bussbar at each location. The auto switch will now work as a simple off/on switch & the start function does nothing. Plug the grinder into the timer, turn the switch to the first position & the timer will now turn the grinder off or on.
DDA

Post by DDA »

i removed the 2 wires of the upper and the 2 wires of the lower switches of the doser from the busbar. I placed a jumper between the two terminals where the 2 wires of the upper microswitch used to be. I may have missed something because when I turn the switch to first postion, it doesnt start the grinding. I still need to turn the switch to start position to be able to grind. Should I have put another jumper where the wires for the lower switch was pulled out from?

Thanks.
Dave
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Yes, you need to jumper both the upper & lower switch harness attachment points on the bussbar.
DDA

Post by DDA »

Thanks, John.

That sorted it out.

Happy New Year to All!

-Dave
Endo

Post by Endo »

Anybody still using a timer on their grinder?

I used it for a while on my Mazzer SJ but was never really happy with the dose variation. I assume it might be better if I used some weight on top of the beans to press it down, but I could not be troubled to do this.

I've since returned to my trusty little scale. Not quite as fast, but much more consistant.

Do the Varios suffer that same dose inconsistancy problems as a Mazzer on a timer?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:Anybody still using a timer on their grinder?

I used it for a while on my Mazzer SJ but was never really happy with the dose variation. I assume it might be better if I used some weight on top of the beans to press it down, but I could not be troubled to do this.

I've since returned to my trusty little scale. Not quite as fast, but much more consistant.

Do the Varios suffer that same dose inconsistancy problems as a Mazzer on a timer?
I'm only using the off/on toggle function of my vintage T-O-L timer to run my K10WBC as its easier to reach then playing with the K10 switch. I'm currently running the K10 & Major with beans in the small hoppers but I'm still single dosing with the SJ. Since I've finally found a Decaf Espresso I like I'll be switching to single dosing with the Major & move the hopper & Latte blend to the SJ.

As far as dose variation with the Vario it's like any other grinder; pretty consistant when there are plenty of beans in the hopper but when you get down towards the bottom the dose can be off a couple grams on a 42g vac pot dose. I always check the dose on the scale & correct as necessary.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: As far as dose variation with the Vario it's like any other grinder; pretty consistant when there are plenty of beans in the hopper but when you get down towards the bottom the dose can be off a couple grams on a 42g vac pot dose. I always check the dose on the scale & correct as necessary.
That's what I figured. I don't like keeping beans in the hopper. I usually keep 2 or 3 roasts open at one time and vacuum store them so they last longer. This way I can choose whatever I'm in the mood for that day. Unfortunately, when you are swapping beans often, the timer dosing method is not the best.

By the way, some trivia: Did you know Beethoven was a coffee lover and used to count out 60 beans every morning to make his one cup of coffee? (strong stuff :shock: ). That's another method! :grin:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Depends on the size of his cup. 60 Ethiopian beans only weighs 7.4g & I use 42g for a 20oz vac pot. Actually seems like it would be a little weak unless he was drinking out of a Demitasse. I burn through a 1/2lb hopper full in 2-3 days pulling straight shots & I enjoy following the changes as the beans age.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”