Flash firmware in VI

Discuss ordering and installation of an upgraded V2 Controller Board
steve96822
God Shot

Flash firmware in VI

Post by steve96822 »

Can the firmware in a VI board be flashed?
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Faema lever antique(working)
zoey

Re: Flash firmware in VI

Post by zoey »

At first I was giggling to myself.

I even thought about posting a funny comment...possible with a photo for good measure.

Then I realized that it's 'just too easy'. I wouldn't feel right making a funny; especially in light of the fact that you are being serious. To be frank, I have no idea what you are talking about anyway.

:|
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Whether it theoretically can be or nor is a moot point since the option is not being offered.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Can you upgrade an S1V1 to S1V2 capabilities simply by installing a V2 board?
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Post by zoey on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:42 pm
At first I was giggling to myself.

I even thought about posting a funny comment...possible with a photo for good measure.

Then I realized that it's 'just too easy'. I wouldn't feel right making a funny; especially in light of the fact that you are being serious. To be frank, I have no idea what you are talking about anyway.
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/ignorance
Main Entry: ignorance
Part of Speech: adjective
Synonyms: abysmal, agnostic, analphabetic, artless, benighted, ignorant, illiterate, nescient, uncultured, unlearned, unlettered, unschooled, unsophisticated, unwitting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

The wording I used is very basic and may indeed be applicable to the controller board in an espresso machine, in that what may be done is simply connecting the board to a computer and loading a modified firmware without actually physically changing anything on the board. The question would be if the board from a V2 is the same as a V2 board and V1 build is compatible. Does the V2 differ significantly in design?
The upgrade fee could still be charged however we wouldn't need to send the board as it could be flashed by us. A very common example of firmware flashing is that of a pc bios.
Given the level of sophistication and dedication on this discussion board it did not seem like a strange question to pose.

S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Flash firmware in VI

Post by chas »

I haven't seen anything from my observations that would indicate that you can't replace a current VI controller Bd with a VII controller board. The biggest difference is that the VII board has an output for the timer and a switch to tell the board whether you have a timer connected or not. The board even has a VI mode and new boards or newly firmware upgraded boards even default to that mode. So I image LaSpaz is using this same board for VI replacements as well.

However, I get the feeling you are really interested in putting the board in VII mode in your VI. Other that the fact that the temp labels under the LEDs would be wrong, the main difference in a VII is that the boilers have temp probes with a +-0.5C accuracy and the S1 probes are only +-1C. This very probably won't make a noticeable difference but I'm not sure. The fact that a VII in VI mode works fine probably indicates that a VI in VII mode would work OK as well. Those temp probes are probably responsible for the enhanced steaming power of the VII. However, you can always replace the current temp probe with the new style too if that is one of the things you are trying to resolve.

The bottom line is that your mileage may vary and you're on your own to find out for sure. However, I'm sure there a a few folks on this forum that would love for you to be the guinea pig and report back your results. And to your original question, just because there appears to be this level of compatibility between the VI and VII boards doesn't mean that the VI board is necessarily firmware upgradeable, too. The original VI boards had a significant SW bug and Chris replaced all the boards with new ones. There was no sending them back for reprogramming.
Chas
Hottop P/B
zoey

Post by zoey »

Sorry. I deserved that one.

Sometimes I forget what discussion group I'm associating with, hence my etiquette is occasionally inappropriate. It was my sad attempt at bringing some light-hearted and childish humor to the forum.

Please do not allow my stupidity to unfairly cast a blanket of depiction upon this site or it's members.
Again, my apologies.

Social ineptitude: Unable to judge and improvise interactions with other people in a acceptable or 'normal' manner. By a mix of being too keen or plain ignorant the socially inept seem to live in their own world exempt from who they're talking to.
BillK

Post by BillK »

zoey wrote:Sorry. I deserved that one.

Sometimes I forget what discussion group I'm associating with, hence my etiquette is occasionally inappropriate. It was my sad attempt at bringing some light-hearted and childish humor to the forum.

Please do not allow my stupidity to unfairly cast a blanket of depiction upon this site or it's members.
Again, my apologies.

Social ineptitude: Unable to judge and improvise interactions with other people in a acceptable or 'normal' manner. By a mix of being too keen or plain ignorant the socially inept seem to live in their own world exempt from who they're talking to.

I thought your comment was clever and in good fun.
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

I need to do some homework since my S1 V1 is a 220volt machine. I figured that with 2 boilers and the 110V amperage discussions that it would be better to run it as it was engineered, plus the capability to use it in other countries. So far machine has had zero problems.
Perhaps there is a forum about this on a European site. I will check out toomuchcoffee.com

"Please do not allow my stupidity to unfairly cast a blanket of depiction upon this site or it's members.
Again, my apologies."

No worries
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Niko

Post by Niko »

Oooh, how did I miss this one?!
...been away a few days :D

Anyways, there is no way to flash a VI board into a VII, I've been there done that. Not that I tried but I certainly inquired about it a while ago. After flashing dozens of DVD burners do outrageous things I thought about the Vivaldi board too.
I also see no reason a VII board wouldn't turn a VI into a VII but the hassle and money it costs would not be worth the trouble since you'd need to plumb in a dual manometer to get it into full VII status. I'm tempted but it's probably around $500 to complete it. I suppose the final stage would be to get the VII panel stickers to display the new temp range.

And Mr. Zoey, that indeed had me rolling for a while :lol:
We already know your sense of humor and I would've posted a pic with a trench coat if I were you!
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Niko,

have you had a chance to inspect the board? Does it have any sort of data port or connector?
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
NewEnglandCliff

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

I have a VI which I bought in January of 2004. I spoke with Chris at Chriscoffee and he explained the board upgrade would work fine with the original temp. probe. I just completed the upgrade and everything works fine. I did not get a new gauge, having the portafilter brew pressure gauge already. I also replaced the old display label with a new one showing the new temps. for the indicator lights. It's pretty much just a strip of tape.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

NewEnglandCliff wrote:I have a VI which I bought in January of 2004. I spoke with Chris at Chriscoffee and he explained the board upgrade would work fine with the original temp. probe. I just completed the upgrade and everything works fine. I did not get a new gauge, having the portafilter brew pressure gauge already. I also replaced the old display label with a new one showing the new temps. for the indicator lights. It's pretty much just a strip of tape.
So you were able to upgrade an S1V1 board to V2 specs? Programmable pre infusion also? Or are you saying you bought a V2 board & put it in your V1?
NewEnglandCliff

Exactly.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Always a trail-blazer, aren't you, New England Cliff?

First, the spark plug for the triple basket, and now this.

Is it OK to ask what the replacement board and any associated parts cost for this upgrade?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's great to hear NEC say that this works. Based on everything I know, I was 99.999% sure it would work - but now I can bump that to 100%!
Chas
Hottop P/B
NewEnglandCliff

I think it's these long Newengland winters more than any desire to trailblaze that fuels my restlessness (a hand grinder and flame heated vac pot sure came in handy when the power was out for 11 days).

The V1 boards cannot be reprogrammed so you have to buy a new board. The retail from Chris Coffee is $350, but if you've been a good customer he may give you a discount. He charged me $295 and threw in a new panel sticker for the temp lights. I spoke with Timmy in service about installation and he was very helpful. He included a tiny jumper for one of the connections, but it turns out you only need it if you install the timer. I didn't. Everything works as it should without the jumper.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Thanks for the information, NEC.

You have me thinking. (I've got two or three months of winter to go too.) Can't claim to be too good a customer for Chris because he doesn't sell the big pieces as far away as I am, but I've bought a good many accessories (including the progressive pre-infusion device, which would be obsolete if I follow your trail...hmmm.)
NewEnglandCliff

So that's Moscow, Russia? Should have guessed from your 220v reference in your signature. Wonder if this board will work with 220v.

BTW, we've got all the same "stuff", except for the roaster. Probably have just as many sets of long johns, too.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Oh, yes. Russia it is.

And the 220v issue is one I would have to settle with Chris if I were to follow you. (Chances are, the voltage is already regulated by the time it gets to the board...but still. Worst case, I can appeal to La Spaziale in Bologna for a board if it must have the voltage match.)

Long johns? Not in Moscow, where it hovers right around freezing for most winter days. The subway is warm, and unless I hang around outdoors--and I'm not outdoorsman--I get by with indoor clothing under a down jacket when I head out on the street. There are some frigid places in Russia, but Moscow is not one of them.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Weska wrote:Oh, yes. Russia it is.

And the 220v issue is one I would have to settle with Chris if I were to follow you. (Chances are, the voltage is already regulated by the time it gets to the board...but still. Worst case, I can appeal to La Spaziale in Bologna for a board if it must have the voltage match.)

Long johns? Not in Moscow, where it hovers right around freezing for most winter days. The subway is warm, and unless I hang around outdoors--and I'm not outdoorsman--I get by with indoor clothing under a down jacket when I head out on the street. There are some frigid places in Russia, but Moscow is not one of them.
It's -25C here in Montreal for the last week (more espresso anyone?)

Hope this is not too off topic but:

On my new Mini (not a VII by the way), I appear to have all the newer features (timer option, higher accuracy temp probe, etc) but it displays temperature in 5C increments. I can set it to do 1C increments, but I would like to buy a 1C sticker and have it actually DISPLAYED that way. Is this a simple thing to do?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think you should do the upgrade, Weska :grin:
It's nice to finally know that someone has done it! :thumbleft: Nice one, NEC!

Return to “V2 Controller Board Upgrade Q&A”