Disassembly differences from site guide

Discuss ordering and installation of an upgraded V2 Controller Board
NewEnglandCliff

Disassembly differences from site guide

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

My S1, which was built in January of 2004, has some differences in construction which might be useful for some. Perhaps this should be moved to a different area, but I was doing the controller board upgrade when I noticed this.

The disassembly instructions Chas posted in his guide to swapping the controller board describe two screws at the bottom of the back panel that need loosening. My S1 does not have these screws. It's held on only by the two top screws and the recessed grooves in the side panels. The guide, which is from Chris' Coffee, explains to remove the back panel first, but mine could not be removed until I removed the side panel (the right side one, for this particular job).

Removing the side panel is different, as well. In addition to the screws and knurled knobs mentioned, there's a white ribbed nylon push-in fastener attaching the panel. It's almost 5" up from the bottom and about an inch from the back. You'll see the tip of it protruding through its mounting hole in the steel side frame of the S1 as you look down inside from the top. You cannot access it with your fingers, so you'll have to find a tool of some sort to reach down in there and push against the protruding nib, forcing it out. Mine didn't require too much force. It remains mounted to the side panel as that comes off freely now.

Interestingly, while mine is an earlier version, it has the black plastic box encasing the controller board, and a 15a/20a switch. Another thing I noticed from Chas' side by side comparison of the VI and VII was the protective "teepee" over one of the valves on the top of the steam boiler. Mine doesn't have one, as it shouldn't, but it's a different valve on mine that sputters. As the boiler is heating up, the shorter stainless valve spits water. It ends quickly as the valve seals, and it's at that point that the pressure starts building, as indicated by the front gauge.
Endo

Re: Disassembly differences from site guide

Post by Endo »

NewEnglandCliff wrote: As the boiler is heating up, the shorter stainless valve spits water. It ends quickly as the valve seals, and it's at that point that the pressure starts building, as indicated by the front gauge.
That's the vacuum breaker. Sounds like it's working normally.

Also, just a general comment: It seems LaSpaziale are constantly changing the way the machine is assembled. Mine also has a lot of small differences. For the most part, they seem to be improvements to aid assembly/disassembly. Makes it hard to keep track of things though.
JohnB

Re: Disassembly differences from site guide

Post by JohnB »

While my S1V2 does have a screw on each side at the bottom of the back cover that cover can't be removed until you at least loosen one side cover. My V2 also has the nylon push plug you mentioned so I think its the directions that are amiss. If you tug lightly on the side cover that push plug will pop out.

Return to “V2 Controller Board Upgrade Q&A”