Mini Vivaldi V1 initial setup

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Nos

Mini Vivaldi V1 initial setup

Post by Nos »

Hi everyone from Ukraine.
I've just got my new machine, serious one this time.
I'm quite noobie in the coffee world but already know a lot.
My previous machine was Silvia V5 which I sold because of desire of dual boiler baby.
Ok, so let's start :)
So, I got NEW Mini Vivaldi V1, yes, correct, this is V1 ( has 5 degree temperature scale, 3 hole steam tip, etc). I had it delivered directly from Italy, most probably directly from factory. Anyway, I guess no one made initial setup there, except La Spaziale factory.
1. So, looks like my machine does not have temperature offset, right? I've seen most of you set offset to +2-3°. Is it true that my temperature display shows boiler temp? Does it mean, more or less I'll need to set 95° to get 92° as output? Unfortunately I do not have that precise thermometer to make practical measurements :( What would you advise based on experience and knowledge?
2. What is your recommendation of brew ratio? I know, it's a matter of taste but there are more or less medium settings. I ask because James Hoffman in his book advices to start with 1:2. Isn't it too strong? I use Rancilio Rocky as grinder btw and noticed that for Mini the grind should be much more finer.
3. I read, most of you use 16g dose. Does 18g still fit double basket? Without touching the bolt of course.
4. How to check if I have pre-infusion? I guess I do not as I did not order this option.
5. For those who has no pre-infusion, what is your typical time before you see coffee flow on dual portafilter (after you switch on the water delivery)
Thanks guys!
jfrescki
God Shot

Re: Mini Vivaldi V1 initial setup

Post by jfrescki »

Welcome.
1)Can't really help you on the offset. It will be different from machine to machine, but once you have it set the temperature you choose should be the temperature that hits the coffee.
2) 1:2 is a good starting place, meaning 16g dose yielding 32g espresso. Adjust to taste.
3) I routinely use a 15g dose unless it's very lightly roasted. Your maximum dose will really depend on your coffee roast level.
4) The pre-infusion chamber is a cylinder attached to a copper tube coming out of the side of the group. If I remember right, you'll probably have to remove the top, then sides, then front to see it. Here's a link to a video I made when mine failed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUPXHp8BfiA.
I don't miss it, the espresso is better without, more clarity.
5) Coffee typically starts beading within about 5 seconds without the chamber, and I usually finish in about 30 seconds.
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
LakeM

Post by LakeM »

Wow, I thought this forum was dead!

Hello Nos. I too have a new S1 delivered from the factory in Italy to the UK
But it is definitely a V2 - 4 hole tip and 1*c temp scale.

I bought a cheap £10 digital thermometer and K type thermocouple probe off Ebay, used the single portafilter with the probe threaded up through the outlet spout, and a rubber bung in the outlet to mimic the pressure/flow, and tested the temperature off-set. It turned out to be +3*c. I now have it set correctly. From the factory it was set to 0*c, so 93*c indicated was actually 90*c at the group head.
Also you will need to do 2 x 2oz warm up flushes to stabilise the temperature before testing/using the machine.
It's taken me a while to get to this point - it's frustrating - should have been set up from the factory!!
I changed the baskets for 18g and 21g IMS baskets which are better.
But now I'm making good espresso's.

Good luck!
Nos

Post by Nos »

So we revived the topic :)
I'm just wondering how accurate is this thermometer:
https://www.amazon.com/Habor-Thermomete ... hermometer
In theory - it shows with accuracy 0.1 but you never know :bom:
LakeM

Post by LakeM »

You could use that (and that is what I initially used), but you won't get as accurate a result as with one of these...
The probe goes up inside the portafilter. The rubber bung lets about 2oz through in 25 seconds.
Attachments
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG (718.55 KiB) Viewed 8686 times

Return to “Mini General Q&A”