Checking offset

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
cuznvin

Checking offset

Post by cuznvin »

i wanted to check the offset on my machine. i have the machine off (in standby mode)... on/stdby light is flashing.. I hold down the BOILER button and nothing happens.. No lights ever come on and begin to flash.. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get into this mode? If I am pressing the correct button and nothing is happening, then what do I do next to fix this issue?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Checking offset

Post by chas »

Are you holding down the Boiler button for at least 10 seconds? If so it could be that you have inadvertently gotten the controller board switched into V1 mode which doesn't support the V2 offset style of programming.

If you're sure that you've held the Boiler button down long enough and nothing is happening, unplug your machine for several seconds, plug it back in a see which set of three lamps blink. If three green lamps blink once, you are in V1 mode, if three yellow lamps blink you are in VII mode. The three lamps only blink once so be sure you can see the display while you are plugging the machine in.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Thanks!! I will check when I get home this evening. I was definitely holding it down for at least 30 seconds
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If you try that and see that the green lamps blink rather than the yellow lamps, with the machine in Standby, press and hold the Hot Water button for 3 seconds. Then you should see the yellow lamps blink once indicating that you have successfully switched modes. If you do need to switch modes ALL your current settings will be wiped out. You'll need to reset temp, offset, volumetric dosing, preinfusion...the works.

I am now quite sure how I managed to do it, but when I had my VII I managed to accidentally get it into V1 mode a couple of times.
Chas
Hottop P/B
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Im guessing thats what happened.. How? I dont know.. Otherwise..something else is wrong with the board ..
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

im in V1 mode!!! going to try to fix it now.. I think this happened when I first received the machine and tried to fill the boilers. Water leaked out all over the place.. Copper pipe AND nut was totally disconnected from the flow sensor. Called CCS..reconnected.. Tried to fill boilers again and it stopped filling without water coming out the group. CCS tech told me to hit one of the other buttons.. I believe it was either the one or two cup or the hot water button.. water poured from the group and that was that.. Glad I decided to check the offset.. Now I dont know what the offset actually was in the first place!!

Question.. with the preinfusion chamber.. There is no preinfusion to set.. correct? Especially on the mini?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

!!

Post by chas »

You're right about preinfusion. I've never had a Mini so I forget.

All machines use the same controller board but there is a jumper on the board that tells it whether it's being used in a Mini or a "Maxi". When it is in a Mini the board level preinfusion mode is turned off but the other Mini specific functions like pump priming mode and tank empty detection are enabled.

Were you checking the offset because you suspected that your group water temperature was not correct? If so,it could have been more from being in V1 mode than that the offset is wildly out of whack. (When you switch modes, offset will return to 0) For example, if you had your machine set for what you thought was 94C but the machine was in V1 mode, it was actually set for 100C! In a V1 each lamp represents a 5C change but in a V2 each lamp is only a 1C difference!
Chas
Hottop P/B
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

I did think the temp was off, but actually too low.. the shots at 92 were terrible.. at 95 much better.. This isnt going to screw up the pump priming mode and empty detection mode.. will it? I didnt do anything yet..
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

92C in V2 mode = 90C in V1 mode so you were too cool. Since a +2C offset is typical you might have really been getting 88C water with a 0C offset.
Chas
Hottop P/B
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

This isnt going to screw up the pump priming mode and empty detection mode.. will it? I didnt do anything yet..
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

no it won't
Chas
Hottop P/B
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

thanks! In V2 now.. Set offset to plus 3. glad someone knows how to check these things!

Return to “Mini General Q&A”