how do you install new group gasket

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
richardcoffee
God Shot

how do you install new group gasket

Post by richardcoffee »

Boy do I feel stupid. I have changed the group gasket once before. But I cannot get a new one in. What procedure do you follow to install a new gasket? Make it simple if you can because it is apparently too complicated for me. Do you heat the new gasket, or lubricate it in some way?
Thanks,
Richard
slo
Barista

Re: how do you install new group gasket

Post by slo »

Pull the old gasket out, push the new gasket in. That is it!
Last time I changed the gasket the new one was a bit large and it was a very tight fit. I lubricated it with a bit of Cafiza. A little wiggle flush after to rinse it out and it was a go.
Another thing that can help; heat the group head and cool the gasket.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

I'm telling you, this gasket would not go in. I tried heating it and that did not work. This gasket seemed like it was just a little too small. Maybe I should have stretched it. It did not occur to me to heat the group and cool the gasket - I understand the theory, but am somewhat skeptical. Anyhow, I turned an old gasket over and reinstalled. Next week I'll order some new gaskets and see what I get.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

richardcoffee wrote: This gasket seemed like it was just a little too small
Mine was a little too large. In your case cool the group head and warm the gasket. This will also make the gasket a bit more pliable. Unfortunately the flipping over of the gasket will not work very long...Order soon.

Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-ma ... ml#p140652
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

So here I am again, trying to install a new group gasket with no success. I am literally trembling from exertion and frustration. Last August I tried - and failed. So I just put back the old gasket. Then I ordered 2 new gaskets from Chris'. When I tried today I heated up the new gasket - I lubricated it, with a little soap, then with a little food grade grease. I tried to put it in with the portafilter with no basket. I tried to worry it in with the back end of a kitchen knife. No matter what I do, it pops out on one side. I'm at the point where I'll have to sell the machine when this gasket goes bad as I won't be able to replace it. Alas and alack! Is there no hope for me?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Wierd. Mine just went right in like nothing. Snugged it up by twisting the portfilter. May you used too much lube? (I used none).
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

No need for despair just yet.

Where is the gasket tight? If it is in the inside diameter cool the machine down and heat the gasket a bit. If it is on the Outside diameter, heat the machine and cool the gasket.
In the end, the gasket is held in place by friction. Too much lubricant will make the gasket slip out all the time. As I wrote before, I recommend using some wet Cafiza, Joe-glo or other backflush product as lubricant for installation. These product will dissolve with water and thus allow friction to keep the gasket in place.

Give this a try and let us know.

richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

So, here's the thing. I tried it first with the machine warm - then with the machine cold. I started with no lubricant, then I tried it with a little soap - then I tried it with a little food grade lubricant. I tried it with the gasket warmed up in a glass of hot water and the machine cold. The inside diameter simply appears to be too large - it will not go completely in the slot. The lubricant - no matter whether it's soap or oily isn't causing it to pop back out - it never gets all the way in. And yet, I do have a gasket that fits - the one I took out. So has no one experienced getting a gasket that's too big? I see that Cafe Parts has 2 La Spaziale gaskets for sale - 1 is 64 x 52 x 6.3, the other is 65 x 53 x 6.7. The first has notches on the outside. Espresso parts oth has 1 which measures 63 63 x 52 x 6. I have ordered one of each of these in hopes I'll find one that fits. Why do you suppose there are so many different measurements? Where do you guys buy yours?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I got mine from Caffe Tech (the only Chris Coffee retailer in Canada until few years ago).

Interesting thing is, when I bought mine, the owner (Joe) told me to be careful because there were 2 types of gaskets. One fit and the other would not. They were 1.5mm different IIRC. He said he'd send me the good one.

You might want to contact him for the full story. Perhaps there are even MORE sizes now, since some seem to have "notches" (and mine do not). It's possible that in the batch of recent cost cutting at LaSpaziale (i.e. no more boiler plating, no more pin striping, etc), they resourced some spare parts to China (or whatever) and they are using their own "blend" of low cost rubber or a different mold perhaps, which produces a slightly different final product (perhaps on the other side of a wide drawing tolerance band, but still "within spec").

I bought 2 so I have spare. I'll measure it with my Vernier tonight and tell you how the dimensions compare to the ones you listed.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Well... If the outside diameter is apparently too large than the gasket should be cooled and installed with the machine warm. But it is a bitch to work on a hot group!!

I just measured my remaining spare gasket, that I bought from Chris Coffee along with the triple baskets. It measures 64mm O.D. x 52mm ID x 6mm thick. It is normal to have a bit of variability in the dimensions of a gasket. Rubber is not the most precise material to work with. I am curious to know what the official "spec" is for that gasket.

Endo

Post by Endo »

I get 64 x 52 x 6.4 mm.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

Eureka! Last summer when I was having trouble with this I finally gave up and reinstalled the old gasket. Then, at Christmas I had to return the machine to Chris' for a new steam boiler. I asked them to put a new gasket in while they had it. Finally, today I addressed the problem I was having with the sticky steam lever - it was getting worse. I lubed it as Endo suggested some time ago and I'm optimistic that will work - it seems to be much smoother now. In the process, I changed my gasket. I had ordered several and could get none in as they were all 52mm I.D. Except, one I got from Cafe Parts, Item No. 72914, measures 65x53x6.7mm. It went in just like it was made for it. Maybe I should be able to force those 52 ID gaskets in, but I can't. Too old and weak I guess. I'm so glad to find one that fits.
Howard

Post by Howard »

After reading this very old thread, I wish I had measured the new gasket before I installed it. Never thought it would be necessary.
The installation was very easy, but the removal of the old seal was a nightmare. Here's a hint: don't wait ten years before changing your group head gasket. Yes, the gasket was the original that came with the machine exactly ten years ago. I broke it when I took the bits out to clean the machine. Yes, the rubber was so hard that it broke. I had to use a hammer and a small chisel to remove the old seal.
Perhaps I should change it more often, eh?

Return to “Mini General Q&A”