Is this normal?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
kevinkev
Freeze Dried

Is this normal?

Post by kevinkev »

I have recently acquired a Mini Vivaldi V1 with V2 board.
I have noticed that whenever after brewing, and removing the portafilter, when I try to flush the grouphead, the water pressure seems high and the water starts spraying in tiny jets.
Do watch till the end
https://youtu.be/HVvYRp8QGXY
This spraying appears to only happen after brewing and removing portafilter to flush.
This happens sometimes for a few seconds, and on other occasions it stays (spraying) that way for a long while or until I turn off the brew and turn it back on.
Also would like to add that the following were done:
Dual screens have been soaked with Cafiza and scrubbed clean
Machine back flushed with Cafiza
Screen screw is hand tight, no over-tightening.

The machine pulls great shots however, with good crema and flow.
17g in, 34g out in 30 seconds.
An issue is that my machine although with a new board, it is still a single gauge that shows only the steam boiler pressure.
I have tried searching the forum for similar issues highlighted, but have yet to find any.
Hope any of you veterans could help! Thanks in advance!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Is this normal?

Post by chas »

What temperature is the group set to?

If the temperature is OK, you may need to reset the group pressure. Since you don't have a built-in group pressure gauge you should either buy or make one. The portafilter is the highest cost item. My machine came with two so you could use one with a single spout and the other with a double spout. In my case, I removed the spout from the single portafilter that I never used and bought a gauge that screws right onto the bottom. This is the one I bought from espressoparts.com: https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... 5209961659

Of course, if you're in Singapore you may need a different local solution.

BTW: Are you running the V2 board in V1 mode or V2 mode?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
shettich
Americano

Post by shettich »

This would be to calibrate the pressure at the PF to be about 9bar (vs just the internal meeter)?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

His machine had no internal meter for the group
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
shettich
Americano

Post by shettich »

Ah, so adjusting the pressure would be blind, got it. Thanks.
kevinkev
Freeze Dried

Post by kevinkev »

chas wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:12 pm What temperature is the group set to?

If the temperature is OK, you may need to reset the group pressure. Since you don't have a built-in group pressure gauge you should either buy or make one. The portafilter is the highest cost item. My machine came with two so you could use one with a single spout and the other with a double spout. In my case, I removed the spout from the single portafilter that I never used and bought a gauge that screws right onto the bottom. This is the one I bought from espressoparts.com: https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... 5209961659

Of course, if you're in Singapore you may need a different local solution.

BTW: Are you running the V2 board in V1 mode or V2 mode?
I am running the machine in V1 mode, as my panel's temp indications are in 5 degrees increments, currently set at 95+2=97 degrees celcius.
It does not seem to be an issue with the brew pressure, it flows normal when I first start the machine (even after set temperature is reached). The high pressure spraying only happens after pulling a shot and portafilter is removed, to flush the brew head. The pressure dies off or go back to normal after turning the brew button off and back on, as seen at the end of the video. To me it seems like the issue is with the 3 way solenoid valve or something along that line, with excess pressure being built up through pulling a shot, and has no where to exit, hence exiting through the brew head. Because I realised today that after stopping the shot, there is no "excess" water coming out into the drip tray from the drain hose. Back flushing also seem pretty weak, with lesser than usual water flushing out of the drain hose. Does this sound like it could it be the 3 way solenoid?

As per your advice, I will also try to find a pressure gauge that can be fitted to my portafilter, but I figure it will likely be quite tough in my country, and it will probably take a while to get shipped from overseas.
Last edited by kevinkev on Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
eskilbrun
Latte

Post by eskilbrun »

If you machine does not «spit» in the drip tray after brewing a shot it might well be the solenoid valve or something blocking the tube/pipe going into the drip tray.
eskilbrun
Latte

Post by eskilbrun »

You could also check the brew boiler temperature offset. Your brew temperature is quite high and with a 3 degree offset you could be close to boiling temperature which of couse would build pressure in the brew boiler. If an offset is programmed, that is.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”