Gave in and bought the timer

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
az erik

Gave in and bought the timer

Post by az erik »

CCS had one in stock and as my daughter is due within 2 months I might have a lot less time to fiddle with things. So I took the easy route and ordered the timer. As I live in AZ I wont need to worry about DST but I will figure out how this thing works. I also have to say it's great that CCS has such knowledgeable people, I couldn't be happier.
txrpls

Re: Gave in and bought the timer

Post by txrpls »

:grin: Aw come on man! I was getting ready for the app. The timer works fine, but it is definitely old school technology and ridiculously priced at $200. My wifi controlled thermostat where only $100/unit.
Endo

Post by Endo »

No matter how much we complain, it's not going to get any younger (or cheaper). :smile:

Only way I see it changing is if they incorporate it as part of modernized LCD botton pad... on the S1V3. (Like they have on the GS/3...and Breville DB).
az erik

Post by az erik »

It showed up and I thought they forgot to put something in it. I've seen pocket calculators with more parts. I couldnt get it to work yesterday, called CSS and they told me to unplug the machine, bingo it now works. With I could control the boiler separately, I'll just flip that off when I come out in the morning during the summer. Need some velcro to stick it to the side of the counter. Now to swap the 3 hole for the 4 hole tip.

BTW I went bottomless (my drill and hole saw have yet to let me down, it actually helped a bit. The group stays warmer as I used to fully rinse the PF, with all that metal getting cool I was dropping the nose temp about 15c every shot.
Endo

Post by Endo »

az erik wrote: The group stays warmer as I used to fully rinse the PF, with all that metal getting cool I was dropping the nose temp about 15c every shot.
Why do you rinse the PF with cold water? Why not just use the brew water as it was intended?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

az erik wrote: I couldnt get it to work yesterday, called CSS and they told me to unplug the machine, bingo it now works.
I haven't updated the Timer Manual in four years because the original Word file got corrupted and I only had the PDF posted on the VII/VII Mini Site. I recently found a program that did a pretty good job in regenerating a Word file. I just completed a minor update which includes what CCS told you. When you change the Timer Switch, the state of the switch is only sensed on power up which is why you had to unplug the machine and plug it back in. I have been meaning to add this note to the timer manual forever. So I finally made that mod, in addition to correcting the link to the S1Cafe. At the time of the last update I did not have a dedicated domain name for the Forum. That's pretty much it for this update.

4-14-12 Timer Manual Update
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
az erik

Post by az erik »

Endo wrote:
az erik wrote: The group stays warmer as I used to fully rinse the PF, with all that metal getting cool I was dropping the nose temp about 15c every shot.
Why do you rinse the PF with cold water? Why not just use the brew water as it was intended?
I don't have a knockbox so I knock out in the 'non-disposal' side of my sink, just habbit as the faucet is right there ans provides more water faster than if I tried using the group water. I'll give this a shot though as I've actually started leaving the PF locked in with the packed grounds for 15 to 20 seconds attempting to regain the lost group temp. It might actually be counter productive as I might be leaching heat from the group instead by waiting. My PF's out of the group for about 45 seconds usually between pulls.
Endo

Post by Endo »

When set to 94C, your water comes out at 94C, and ideally your PF and diffuser disc should be at 94C as well. In other words, run shot water through it and over it as much as you can prior to dosing. Running cold water over the PF can drop your shot temp several C. (Actually, this is what I do to cool down my Cremina grouphead since it will overheat after about the 3rd shot).

On the Vivaldi, I usually pull two back to back 1 oz water shots about 30 seconds apart prior to grinding, tamping and pulling my shot. This warms up the grouphead, which tends to get a little colder since it is exposed to the cold air and therfore subject to additional cooling from free convection (cold nose syndrome).
az erik

Post by az erik »

Going to give that a 'shot' or 3 tomorrow :)
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i always do the two warm up blanks to get the portafilter and the nose up to temp

timer is a little dark ages and difficult to adjust after youve been away from it for a while (like when you have to reset it at dst), but having the warmed up machine when you get up is great

if you dont already have it, you should also go for the triple basket set up 8)

Return to “Accessories”