Portfilter Thread Size?

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
Endo

Portfilter Thread Size?

Post by Endo »

I saw this little spout gauge at espressoparts:

http://www.espressoparts.com/product/V_ ... _Gauge_Kit

It seems to be cheaper than the gauge from CC. Since I already have two PFs, I could just attach this...if it fit. Is the Vivaldi PF thread 3/8"?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Portafilter Thread Size?

Post by chas »

That may not work. I purchased one of the CC PF pressure gauges back when I owned the VI. At some point I dropped the damn thing and broke the gauge. I bought a replacement gauge one like you showed from EPNW. To my surprise it fit on the same PF that came with the CC pressure gauge but it would not fit either PF that came with the machine. Turns out the diameter of the threaded part of the PF is the same but the thread pitch is very different.

Given that they change these things from time to time, its hard to tell whether the PFs that came with your machine have the right thread pitch or the wrong thread pitch. I'll see if I can find time tomorrow to take a side-by-side photo of the two PFs so you can see the difference in the pitch. I'll point out which one has the correct pitch (the finer pitched one). Perhaps you'll be able to tell from the photos if you have one that will work.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Portfilter Thread Size?

Post by chas »

I was wrong about the thread pitch being the issue. You can see the difference easily in the photos below. The one in the back is the one that definitely works with my gauge. The one in the front has the strange unthreaded nipple end part which interferes with getting my gauge threaded on far enough to seal it up pressure tight.

On the other hand, I am not sure I purchased the same gauge linked from your post after all. Bottom-line: if you have a PF where the diameter is the same all the way to the end and the whole length is threaded, no problem. If you have a PF more like the one in the foreground, it may or may not work to your satisfaction.

Speaking of EPNW and portafilters, another heads up in case you ever consider this for a future purchase. I ordered one of EPNW's wooden handles a while back to replace a broken wooden handle I had on one of the stock PFs that came with the machine. I had purchased the wooden handle I was replacing from Les at Thor Tampers. Guess what? The EPNW wooden handle didn't fit. I had to purchase a new PF from EPNW to match the threading. So keep in mind that LaSpaz stock PFs and handles are threaded differently than the ones you buy from EPNW. It's a thread pitch issue for sure in that case. The bolts are the same diameter.
PFs.jpg
PFs.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Les probably would have replaced the handle if it was a quality issue. Where did it break? I have a couple wooden Mazzer adjustment handles in transit (finally!!) from Les.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Endo,

I use that gauge, I believe. My experience mirrors Chas's in a way. My pf's have an extension past the threads like his. When I first got my machine, I thought that the spouts should snug all the way up the thread. I strongarmed mine on with a padded wrench and got part way to that goal. I also abused the threads enough to remove the chrome plate from them in spots.

However, at the end of all that, having decided not to use spouts in any case, I fitted the gauge on my pf. It leaks in a slow fashion, rather like tears. I figure that gives some relief to let the gauge show something closer to the net pressure under extraction.

Final point: The gauge is usable but maybe not the way you expect.

Return to “Accessories”