NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
RGoldman

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Post by RGoldman »

Woke up to a cold machine. I had a problem the other day while pulling some shots, the coffee water boiler wouldn't come back on. I unplugged the machine and it seemed to be working fine again until this morning. Now it won't come on no matter what I do. It's in economy mode, so the steam boiler won't come on because it thinks it needs to be heating the coffee water. All I get are the 95c light and the boiler light flashing at me...
How depressing. I am on my way out for a very long day of work and I am espresso deprived!
Niko

Post by Niko »

So sorry to hear that, Ron.
It sounds like either the group sensor, element or both are at fault. Easy fix but you're espresso-less until you get the parts
:cry: .
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Came home to find lights 20 and 21 on solid which the manual shows as a problem with the group temperature probe. I forgot to unplug it before I left for work and the timer turned it on. Sure would have been nice to come home to a working machine as I have been standing out in the rain since 7:30!
The TV drip coffee this morning just wasn't the same as my usual morning nectar.....
I hope they can send parts quickly!
Niko

Post by Niko »

Ron,
I'd pay the rush delivery if I were you.
I know they'll ship the part free delivery and all...but in this case I'd pay the expedited delivery fee just to get my machine going again. One time I had something sent out to me that was damaged in transit and in order to have it quicker, I just paid the rush shipping charge. Hey, gotta' have my morning nectar too. I'm only saying this because you're on the West Coast also so it'll take a week, you're looking at getting the Spaz up and running the following Monday at the normal shipping schedule. You can go for a cheaper 3-day service so you can have it running by Thursday night, at least it's better than waiting 4 more days on top of that.
Back to the TechniVorm, huh? Damn. If we lived closer to each other I'd lend you my S1 for the week, it'll just be a quick plug n' play between the 2 machines.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Thanks for the offer Niko! I wish I could take you up on that.
I am planning on having the parts sent the quickest possible way. I can't imagine they will weigh much so overnight or second day shouldn't be too expensive. I hope I can have it back up and running by mid week at the latest.
Drinking drip for the last two days really has me appreciating the switch to espresso this last year. I can't believe I waited so long! I used to think the TV coffee was good but now am spoiled by the VII and nothing else seems to taste good anymore! Figures it would go out on a Saturday so I have to wait to even get parts on thier way!
Niko

Post by Niko »

Overnight delivery is probably about 30 something dollars for something like that.
3-Day delivery is about the $12 range, me thinks. I paid about 12 bucks to have a part for my grinder rushed (only 3 day) because I have another grinder anyway but I didn't want to wait a whole week.
In your case, I'd probably pay the highest priority shipping to get the VII running ASAP.
I'm sure TV is good but not nearly as good as espresso.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Well... the wife is in agreement that overnight is the way to go. She is as spoiled as I am now and doesn't want to wait for parts to get here any longer than I do.
Chris replied to my earlier email and let the service department know what the problem is and that I would be calling them early tomorrow morning!
Got to love the customer service on a Sunday no less!
If I have time, I will get some pictures of the repair in progress. Although.... I will probably be having such bad withdrawl symptoms by then, I might not be able to hold the camera.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Great!
Tuesday night is repair day.
Wife holds the camera, Ron fixes Vivaldi and Niko gets to see some innards.
Nice.
Well, it would be nice to get some pics, I love that sort of stuff. The sight of wires and screws makes me dizzy...

Actually, I've never seen repair work on the group boiler. You gotsa' post some pics of that!
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Great news! I got up at 5 so I could call the service department right at 8 est. I got the top and side panel off and the tech guy had me check the wires running to the group heating element. Turns out one of them had fallen off. Looks like it had been arcing for a while as the plastic connector is a bit bubbled and burned up but I was able to slip it back on the connector and sure enough, it works again! Now, I am late getting out of here this mrning but who cares! I know that when I get home, I can finish working on it and be back in business tonight! Can't wait!

Ron
Niko

Post by Niko »

GREAT news all right!
Some pics, maybe?
Weska

Post by Weska »

A pretty nice outcome, RGoldman! Glad that there is nothing more to your problem.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Back in business! Everything seems to be working fine. I wish I wouldn't have had to wait for Monday to find the problem! I suppose I could have opened the machine up and looked around but who would of thought a wire would fall off after 5 months? I did have a really hard time getting it back on tight. The connecter was pretty disfigured for some reason. I think it probably was never on there good from the beginning and I just got lucky it lasted this long. At least I know how to get to it with just the top panel off if it ever happens again. Really hard to work in there from the top though. Most of it was just blind feeling around. I had to put it on and remove it, crimp some, put it back on, remove it, crimp more, put it back on.... etc, until I finally got it tight enough to hold.
Of course, I already had the side panel off from this morning but it went back on easier than I thought it would. Ideally, the back panel should be removed and the wire connector replaced but I'll wait and see if I really have to go through all of that at some point. I am just happy to my espresso back!

Ron
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm glad it was a happily ever after story without having to replace any parts.
I'll have a triple to cheer your success tonight!
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Thanks Niko. I am so relieved that I have my machine back up and running! I had a triple zinfandel to celebrate. Tomorrow morning should be back to "normal" around here. I even have a new batch of home roast to try. A five bean blend that I concocted on Friday.
Niko

Post by Niko »

RGoldman wrote:A five bean blend that I concocted on Friday.
Those are the best kind!
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

2 brazils, 2 guats, and a java. I'll let you know how it is tomorrow. I had it as drip this morning and it was better than I thought it would be.
On a side note.... have you ever noticed how blends with monsooned coffee need to be ground quite a bit finer? I had to back my Macap out 3 full turns for the last brazil/yemen/guat blend I made.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes I did.
The monsoons are so strange, they roast weird, look odd but taste very unusually good. At least you found a good use for Brazils, I usually hate those by themselves. The guats are a nice ingredient in that bunch.
Please report back and tell me how many seconds into the pour you get tiger striping, and of course the taste.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Took a couple of tests to get the grinder set right for this blend. This mornings shots were very nice. 22-25 seconds. Very tasty stuff! Even with the percentage of DP below 50%, the crema was quite nice. It did fall off a little faster than usual, but that's ok with me. The shot got very sweet and chocolaty(sp?) as it cooled. Was tempted to pull a third double but knew better...... I have way too much work to get done and don't need to feel like I ate a bottle of no-doz.

So happy to have my machine working again!

Ron
Niko

Post by Niko »

Blends can be tricky.
I got so sick and tired of adjusting the Mazzer, you know...grab that mini-handle bar and collar and with the other hand start a CRANKIN'. I opted for 2 grinders side by side now, a MACAP lives in harmony right next to the Mini.
Ah, let there be light...

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”