Mess after extraction - a sign of overdosing?

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
italyhound

Mess after extraction - a sign of overdosing?

Post by italyhound »

I am not sure if this is normal but after each shot there is a fair amount of coffee that gets stuck way up in the space around where the PF fits into. It needs several good deeep wipes before it's clear. I first thought that may be normal but then I was thinking - how does it get int there? Is it a sign of too much coffee in the PF? I get no resistance in attaching the PF so I figured I am in good shape ...
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

When the grounds absorb water during the extraction the coffee swells making it hit the screens.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's definitely normal for these machines. I recommend getting a Pallo brush. When done doing a batch of shots, remove the PF and press the dual cup button. After a few seconds when the water runs clear, use that Pallo brush vigorously on the gasket area and the shower screens.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Thanks. That grill brush that comes with the V2 is spooky lookin'
Martin

Post by Martin »

After 6 wks with my V2, I notice that the group definitely accumulates more grounds than my Isomac Tea did.

That said, my technique with the Tea also works well with the LaSpaz. I use a good quality paper towel and do the pf jiggle with the towel between the pf and the group. Repeat until the towel come clean.

When I posted this technique on alt.coffee, one of the oldie alties announced that this was a bad thing to do because it imparted the towel taste to the next shot. This is absolute nonsense! Maybe he was using some of those brownish cheapo things that he stole from a public restroom, but I doubt that he tried even that.

Anyway, works for me.
Martin :|
Niko

Post by Niko »

Works for me too.
I like the taste of paper towels, that guy doesn't have the acquired taste that we worked hard for.
A clean paper towel does wonders and so does the Pallo brush, that BBQ grill brush that Spaziale gives is a nice bonus to clean battery terminals with (I cannot take credit for this one - "Weska" from Moscow came up with it).
Weska

Post by Weska »

Nice of you to give me credit, Niko.

I just use the Pallo brush and skip the paper towels, which would not bother me in the least by their taste--I just hate to use paper disposables if there is a substitute.

Of course, before I used a paper towel of a particular brand, I would probably suck on it for fifteen minutes to ascertain just what its taste contribution might be.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Weska wrote: Of course, before I used a paper towel of a particular brand, I would probably suck on it for fifteen minutes to ascertain just what its taste contribution might be.
Ahh, quite the Connoisseur...

I also prefer the Pallo brush over anything else, although it is hard on the back teeth.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”