Newbie problems "dialing it in"

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
sgoldwa

Newbie problems "dialing it in"

Post by sgoldwa »

Help! I am the proud new owner of an S1 and a Mazzer Mini Electronic (Model B). I cannot seem to get the grind/amount correct to produce a 25-second (+ or -) extraction. I am using Lavazza Super Crema coffee (both caf and decaf).

Does anyone have the Mazzer Mini and if so, can you recommend the proper grind and dose settings?

I'd really appreciate it!

Steve
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

Steve,

Congrats on the new machine. I am wondering if your problem might be the Lavazza? I got a free sample of this about 3 weeks ago. It is almost impossible to pull correctly for me. I use a MACAP M4, though. It was so stale I had to go 4-5 clicks finer than with fresh beans. It was not bad, but it had almost no flavor. Decent crema probably because of the robusta in it.
I'd suggest fresher beans for your dialing in of the new rig.

Jeff
Barry

Re: Newbie problems "dialing it in"

Post by Barry »

sgoldwa wrote:Help! I am the proud new owner of an S1 and a Mazzer Mini Electronic (Model B). I cannot seem to get the grind/amount correct to produce a 25-second (+ or -) extraction. I am using Lavazza Super Crema coffee (both caf and decaf).

Does anyone have the Mazzer Mini and if so, can you recommend the proper grind and dose settings?

I'd really appreciate it!

Steve
Are you using a single or double basket? How fresh is the Lavazza? I have two Mazzer Mini's and have both set at the default setting (the little arrow on the grind dial) for a 20 second 1.5 oz shot using a double basket. I roast my own beans and have not used Lavazza, but bean freshness is one of the most important aspects of a consistent shot. Single baskets are pretty much worthless IMHO.
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

I agree, my guess is bean freshness. I've had many problems trying to use subpar/old beans with disasterous results.

Order a pound of Paradise Espresso or Intelligensia Black Cat and try it again. You will have better results. Then you can step out from there.
zak42

Re: Newbie problems "dialing it in"

Post by zak42 »

sgoldwa wrote:Help! I am the proud new owner of an S1 and a Mazzer Mini Electronic (Model B).
The deeper baskets of the S1 tend to highlight the offset distribution you get from the miniE, you have to work on your distribution and tamp to get this to work well. What I do is rotate the PF through 180 degrees while grinding into the basket.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”