Should extraction be this hard?

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
GotGoodCoffee?

Should extraction be this hard?

Post by GotGoodCoffee? »

I just became a Mini Vivaldi II and Baratza Vario owner and have yet to pull a decent, drinkable shot. Not sure if its my inexperience, incompetence, but would appreciate advice. So far, I have had some difficulties setting the vario to a good setting, I have used macro on 1 and 2 and micro around the middle, slightly above and below middle as well. Seems fine enough but shot starts dropping around 6-7sec, complete in 23-25, and taste bitter,awful. I have tried using 16g - 19g of quality coffee. Please share your expertise and advice for a newbie. Thanks.
Abnuceals

Re: Should extraction be this hard?

Post by Abnuceals »

Do you have the preinfuser ? If so, it's normal it starts to drip at 6-7 sec. You should add more or less 25 seconds, so a total of more or less 31-32 seconds. Grind finer, aim for a total of 31 seconds and it will be much less bitter.
Good luck and have fun !
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I would suggest trying 14 or 15 grams of coffee. I grind for single dosing and generally use a single basket worth of beans a double shot.

It can be frustrating at first but generally comes together quickly.

Good luck...
sandefur

Post by sandefur »

Did you ever get able to make a good shot? I am having the same problem you did and am considering returning the S1.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”