Drinking temperature

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
dgasmd

Drinking temperature

Post by dgasmd »

The more I read in many of the espresso forums, the more I get a disconnect with what many seem to like or do. I have seen tons of videos of people's routines of making a espresso and the one thing that always stands out is at the end when they are done making the shot. They always take the cup and take it right in with no more than 1-3 sips. The first thing that comes to my mind is either my tongue and mouth lining is way too sensitive to hot liquids or these people have a mouth lined with leather that can easily take 200F liquids while tasting it and enjoying it. I mean, how can you taste anything but the burning sensation in your mouth? So, needless to say, I do the following as a routine:

1. Put the sugar I will add to the shot in the cup before I start the shot
2. Use a spoon to dissolve the sugar after the shot is done
3. Wait about 1-2 min before actually taking in the coffee so it cools off some. It is still very hot, but not scalding hot.
4. Then, I can actually taste many of the subtle flavors I read about. A completely different taste than when it is hot right out of the machine.

Is this pretty far from the norm? Am I that sensitive to hot liquids? Either way, I sincerely enjoy the taste of espressos far more this way than what most seem to be doing in the videos I've watch. Opinions/comments?
oton

Re: Drinking temperature

Post by oton »

I don't use sugar.
I use a spoon to get a proper homogenous mix of the espresso. Only 2-3 swirls to do not kill the crema.
Using a spoon usually lower the temp a bit, and my cups are often only warm or cold... so you can drink the espresso inmediately.
I prefer hot espresso. Low temp espresso accentuates too much the acids for me.
Endo

Post by Endo »

SUGAR!! :pukeright:

When I set my machine to 93C this gives me exactly 66C in the cup (cup warmed on top of the machine). I don't stir, but I usually tap the cup on the counter and swirl before I drink, to get rid of the bigger bubbles (just like with the milk).

I find this 66C to be hot (just below my house setting for tap hot water), but if you suck in a bit of air (sip), it will cool it off just enough to drink, and it will taste better with a bit of air too.
dgasmd

Post by dgasmd »

Interesting. Goes to show how taste is such a personal and subjective thing!
Endo

Post by Endo »

Exactly as you say. Personal taste (and possibly tradition) should be your deciding factors. In Italy, it seems the majority prefer sugar in their espresso.

Personally though, if I'm going to spend $2000 on the best espresso machine, $1000 on the best grinder and $20 on the best gourmet espresso blend from an award winning roaster, and have it shipped here by air so that it arrives 1 week from roast date....I want it to taste exactly as they intended (no enhancements).

I save the sugar for my in-laws Nespresso shots. :lol: :lol:
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Sugar is just fine if you like sugar. It will bring up and enhance some of the flavours that would otherwise be less noticeable. I don't put sugar because I am not that big on sweet stuff to begin with, not because anyone else is saying that I should not!
Most of the time I stir the espresso to blend in the crema completely and some time other I'll let the crema sit on top.
I often let the second half of the shot cool significantly because it intensifies the chocolate fruity sweetness.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Endo wrote:...I want it to taste exactly as they intended
Well actually "they" intended it to be drank WITH sugar!!! :grin:

Endo

Post by Endo »

slo wrote:
Endo wrote:...I want it to taste exactly as they intended
Well actually "they" intended it to be drank WITH sugar!!! :grin:
Just curious. ..did you ever read brewing instructions on a bag of espresso (or website) where they actually recommend adding sugar? If so, how much? I can't remember ever reading anything, but I may be wrong.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

Just to chime in...

I also have to wait 2 min or so until the shot cools. otherwise i can't taste anything, its just hot.

3-4 stirs to disperse the crema a bit.
clean up after the shot.
by then generally ready to go.
little sip to check it out, and, if warranted i'll drink a typical 30-40 ml pull in about 5 drinks.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Endo wrote:Just curious. ..did you ever read brewing instructions on a bag of espresso (or website) where they actually recommend adding sugar? If so, how much? I can't remember ever reading anything, but I may be wrong.
The Italians do not write brewing instruction on the bags of coffee in Italy (that I know of). "They" being the Italians of yesteryears of course. :grin:
3rd, 4th, ...Nth wave coffee roaster may write instructions all they want I will drink the coffee the way that I like it. 8)

Endo

Post by Endo »

Of course people can do whatever they like. People add sugar, flavoured syrups, massive amounts of milk, whiskey, salt.....it's all been done.

Traditionally, Italians added sugar to their espresso to balance the bitterness of cheap blends cut with a lot of cheap Robusta beans. But any good Arabica coffee blend from a reputable roaster (like Intelli, Transcend, 49th, etc) needs no sweetening and only hides the natural sugars and more subtle flavours the roaster has worked hard to develop in his particular blend.

Would you add sugar to an expensive and carefully blended glass of wine because you prefer it sweeter? Try it at your next dinner party and let me know how it goes! :lol:

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”