Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

All things beans. Discussions about green and roasted coffee beans - where to purchase them, how to roast them, how best to grind them for the S1/V2/Mini/Dream/Dream T. Also, discussions about grinder and roaster hardware.
logicfix

Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

Post by logicfix »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6944026.stm

A teenager was taken to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee.

Whatever.

Does anyone happen to know the lethal dose of caffeine, and the amount of espresso one would have to consume to actually cause death? Lets assume that this girl weighs 120 lbs.
Niko

Post by Niko »

My record is 16 doubles in one day :shock:
It did absolutely nothing to me :shock:
...I did have to go to the bathroom more frequently :lol:
...and I did have a tummy ache :twisted:
BrewHaHa

Re: Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

Post by BrewHaHa »

logicfix wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6944026.stm

Does anyone happen to know the lethal dose of caffeine, and the amount of espresso one would have to consume to actually cause death? Lets assume that this girl weighs 120 lbs.
According to the calculator at http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/
it would take about 106 shots. (They're assuming 1.5 ounce single shots, with 7 grams of coffee.)

I think I'd have a hard time making it past 75 or so unless a pretty darned good barista was pulling the shots!
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's a painful death!
I'd rather have Death-by-Ristretto at 1.5oz doubles, what were they thinking?! :roll:
Consty

Post by Consty »

That's quite a hilarious story indeed. 7 cups doesn't seem enough for producing an overdose though. Fever as an effect of caffeine? Don't think so.
16 doubles in one day Niko? I would certainly feel that I think..
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's been more than 1 occasion that I've had 16 doubles in a day, I average about 5 a day (this week :D ). It's those long testing sessions where I punish myself to drink even the bad shots, gives me a good feel for what went wrong or right.
A fever from too much espresso? I think that might've been her immune system fighting something else off...maybe she had something else in combination with too much caffeine that threw her system off. Perhaps it was a massive dehydration that caused her problems?
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

As far as I know, there's much less coffeine in the espresso then in any other cup of coffee, unless it's overextracted
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

coffeeowl wrote:As far as I know, there's much less coffeine in the espresso then in any other cup of coffee, unless it's overextracted
Depending on the coffee, maybe, but normally one has a couple 8 ounce cups of drip coffee, but maybe only a couple of 2 ounce shots of espresso. The French Press is the danger for cholesterol.

Roast level also has something to do with caffeine content.

IIRC, there was a study done, and pretty much the highest caffeine content in order was:

French Press (highest)
Espresso
Drip (lowest)
Last edited by bbqnut on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I must confess....
I'm a closet-french press drinker :oops: , at least 2 cups/day.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I've heard that espresso is lowest, and there was also the cooked-coffee method somewhere in between.
Anyway, after drinking my first espresso in my life, I was completely decided to buy an espresso machine. And I have made all possible efforts earlier to satisfy and honor the beans so that they give it all to me. Oh well, they didn't :lol:
Mr Gaggia and the linage of espresso machine developers must be the blessing of the Cofffee Deity. 8)
Staypower
Americano

Re: Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

Post by Staypower »

I believe, it could be possible. But every case is individual. Caffeine may be very dangerous if careless consumption.

Return to “Coffee Beans, Grinders, & Roasters”