Accumultor size

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jbb
God Shot

Accumultor size

Post by jbb »

Getting a new Dream to replace my old S1V1. Have decided to switch to running off a bottle, flojet, accumulator set up rather than just the house line (hard water, frequent descale.....). At any rate, on line I've seen recommendations for either the 21 oz size accumulators and I've seen others recommend a larger size, like a 3 gallon reverse osmosis water storage tank. For those using the 21 oz accumulator, about how often does the flojet kick in during a typical pull a shot/rinse the filter cycle? About once for several seconds, something like that? With respect to accumulator size I'm supposing its a how much space do you have for the tank versus how much noise do you want to hear sort of balancing act. Thanks.
jbb
God Shot

Re: Accumultor size

Post by jbb »

So reading a bit more on this...bit more complicated than it might seem. Some of the larger tanks do not appear to be inline units, which I guess means if one went that route you'd have to fill up the tank, disconnect the pump, and then reattach the feed line. Which sounds like a pain.

And for the smaller inline accumulators, there's the volume output before the pump kicks in, which, if set to 30 psi sounds like it may be about 4 oz.

For anybody out there using one of the 21 oz type of inline accumulators, if you just hit the brew switch, about how much water flow do you get before the pump kicks on? In my mind, I was thinking of the accumulator as allowing me to feed off a bottle while still enjoying the quiet of a rotary pump. But perhaps all I'd be gaining with the small in line accumulators is to dampen pump pulsation. Any experience would be appreciated. Last thing need to figure out before new machine.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

I see. For the larger tanks you can mount a cross on the top inlet valve to create an inline reservoir. There are 1 gallon tanks out there-maybe that is a good way to go. Now just to see if the bladders impart taste to the water. Since the tanks are typically for RO applications I'd imagine not...but if anyone knows differently....
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

I ended up going with a 1 gallon RO tank for an accumulator. Fits well behind sink trap.

https://www.maxwaterflow.com/1-Gallon-R ... p_541.html

So the setup is 5 gallon bottle => flojet => 1 gallon accumulator (air side set 7 psi) => valve to depressurize line for maintenance => pressure reduction valve to 25 psi => braided line.

I get ~10 fluid oz through grouphead before flojet kicks in. So enough to pull two shots and rinse. Will post some impressions of switching to Dream from old S1 when get a chance.

Return to “General Q&A”