Pump pressure vs noise

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
KimH
Cappuccino

Pump pressure vs noise

Post by KimH »

Hi,

Ever since I got my Dream I have been pretty annoyed about the noise from the machine. I find it to be more noisy than my old Vivaldi II.

I tried to play around with the pump pressure to see if that changes how much noise the machine makes, and it is clearly a big difference.

I have uploaded a video, containing sounds of respectively 3, 6, 9 and 11 bars using a blind filter.
In my ears, "9" and "11" does not sound healthy for the pump, but I am no expert.

Does this sound normal to you?

I would like the machine to sound like "3" or "6" bars, when used at the normal 8-9 bars.

Any tips or tricks to make these machines less noisy.

/Kim

https://youtu.be/IUcvDrCdVug
- La Spaziale S1 Dream
- Ceado E37S
- Rancilio Rocky SD
- Hottop B
goodboyr
Barista

Re: Pump pressure vs noise

Post by goodboyr »

What size and pressure is the water line that the dream is connected to? A small or restricted long line or low pressure ( less than 2 bar) might be the cause.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
KimH
Cappuccino

Post by KimH »

Thanks for your tip. I checked the water pressure by reading in the Dreams display during idle and pre-infusion, which shows 2.5 bar. So I guess that is normal - right.

I also tried to fully open the tap water faucet that is connected to the same string as the machine. When doing this, the pressure during idle and pre-infusion dropped to 1.5 bar. However I did not make the noise better or worse when the pump was running.

So, I guess, that the water pressure is not the issue. Other ideas out there?
- La Spaziale S1 Dream
- Ceado E37S
- Rancilio Rocky SD
- Hottop B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

It's not just the pressure, it's the size of the line. So at static conditions the pressure might be ok , but if the line is too long or 1/4 instead of 3/8, there might be too much restriction when the pump is running.
As well, that pressure during pre infusion means that you have a pressure regulator ahead of the machine. (Household water pressure is typically higher ( about 5 to 6 bar). Try adjusting the regulator to a higher pressure. If you could send pictures of the plumbing that might help.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W

Return to “General Q&A”