Steaming Small Amounts of Milk

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Terri

Steaming Small Amounts of Milk

Post by Terri »

Hi Again,
Any hints or tips on steaming small amounts of milk? We are having problems when trying to steam enough milk for 2 cappuchinos. Thank you!
Terri
Weska

Post by Weska »

I always steam enough for just one cappucino, and I use an old stainless pitcher that came with a Krups steam toy many years ago. It would actually be too small for a double batch. But it's tall enough that my dose is about an inch and a half deep in it.

If you are getting poor results, try some other vessel that gives your milk more depth at the start and plenty of head room for the foam to expand into even with a tilt to create whirling. For example, you could use a large deep mug.

Good luck. It is definitely something you can work out how to do.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I use a Bumper pitcher for 2 caps. worth of milk. Keep the pitcher in the frig so that it is cold with the milk. I use 2% milk and fill the pitcher to just under the start of the spout. Stretch and then plunge to the bottom so that all of the milk is moving and you should not have any trouble.

In my experience the issue was getting comfortable with opening the steam and letting it do the job quickly.

Good luck,
Mark
Niko

Post by Niko »

A nice smallish 16-17oz pitcher really does the trick well for only 2 Cappas. The standard 20oz pitchers are so American, just like our huge cars these pitchers are absolute boats for 2 normal sized drinks. Unless you're pulling those things called a Latte, put those larger jugs away.
Like Weska says, you'll need some room for the milk to grow inside.
Start off with the arm submerged all the way in until you first crank open the steam, then back away until you're surfing the top of the surface in a way to make the "ch-ch-ch" sounds without creating large soapy bubbles, just think smooth and avoid wearing the milk :D As soon as it feels warm to the touch, sink the tip almost to the bottom of the pitcher and make a rolling action. Depending on what steam tip you're using (you didn't mention this) - assuming it's the new smaller (.9mm) 4-hole tip you can get a nice little rolling action in the milk to finish off the microfoam. If you have the larger 4-hole tip, good luck :salute:
(just kidding)...it can be done with this tip also, just needs a little feathering and finesse with the steam control.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”