Timed Shots and Temp Setting not working

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
bayviewgirl

Timed Shots and Temp Setting not working

Post by bayviewgirl »

I have enjoyed my Mini Vivaldi II for about a month now. When I got it, (New from Chris' Coffee) the temperature setting was set at 93 which I left at 93. I programmed the timed shots (both single and double) for 25 seconds each. Yesterday, when I went to make a latte, I noticed the temperature setting had mysteriously reduce to 92 degrees and my double shot lasted only about three seconds. I have tried to reprogram the timing on the double shot, but nothing seems to be working. The single shot timing seems to be fine. I am not able to adjust the temperature from 92 to 93 either. I've tried unplugging it and various other things, but I am not getting any different results by following the programming directions. Does anyone have any suggestions?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Timed Shots and Temp Setting not working

Post by chas »

It's pretty strange that both things happened at once since they usually have very different causes. Before trying any other suggestions we should be sure you didn't inadvertently get the machine into VI mode. Can you unplug the machine and plug it back in for us. You should see three lamps blink once. Let us know whether your see three green lamps blink or three yellow lamps blink.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
bayviewgirl

Post by bayviewgirl »

When I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in, I see no lights blinking other than the single blinking "on/standby" light.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Three greens or three yellows just flash once for a split second and then it goes to the blinking Standby light. You have to be looking at the front panel while you insert the plug or you'll miss it.
Chas
Hottop P/B
bayviewgirl

Post by bayviewgirl »

I did see three yellow lights this time for a second when I first plugged it in. Thank you for being patient with me.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

bayviewgirl wrote:I did see three yellow lights this time for a second when I first plugged it in. Thank you for being patient with me.
Yellow lights mean you are in V2 mode so you can forget that idea. The good news is you can continue to make espresso until you call CC on Monday. Are you able to get into temp changing mode but nothing happens when you push the hot water button?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have another question when you say a double shot is only 3 seconds rather than 25 seconds. A volumetric shot timed for 25 seconds has two components 1) The actual amount of water you have programmed to dispense 2) the grind/tamp of the coffee.

Let's just look at your volumetric water quantity and forget about the coffee for now. How much water in ounces is dispensed now when you press the two cup button and how much is dispensed when you press the one cup button?
Chas
Hottop P/B
bayviewgirl

Post by bayviewgirl »

To answer both of you....I went back to the kitchen and started the machine again and let it warm up. In the meantime, I took the instruction manual and copied it in a way that made sense to me by enlarging the photo with the numbers associated to the different parts of the coffee machine. I then increased the size of the directions and printed them out and taped all the pages together so I could follow the directions in one, easy to read, step by step process instead of going back and forth from the back of the book to the front trying to figure out which button was what number.

To make a long story short, I was able to get the temperature adjustment to work this time, even though I believe I read and followed the directions correctly the last time. I increased it to the 93 degrees it was originally set for. I then decided to do the one shot and two shot programing. I was able to reprogram the timing on both shots.

I realize the grind of the coffee will change the volume that is dispensed. I set it to 25 seconds because that is what I was taught at the American Barista Coffe School in Portland where I took a consumers three day course last year. Well....it's not that simple as you know...but my goal would be to have a great shot in roughly 25 seconds so I was shooting for that. I probably don't need it set, but for now, while I am still learning, I thought it might be a good idea. By the way, I have been making espresso (latte's) for myself for about 13 years but never with a machine so wonderful as this one. I think the directions are a bit confusing since I do not speak the same coffee language as some of you experts do.

So for now, it seems to be working. I appreciate your help and patience with my learning curve.
I have one more question...what is the ideal temperature for me to program my machine? Is 93 degrees a good temperature or does it depend on the coffee I am using? I alway make a latte.

Thank you Chas and John B. for helping me with my learning curve.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Did you just read the manual that came with the machine or did you also have the manual available at the VII/VII Mini Site linked at the top of this page?
Chas
Hottop P/B
oton

Post by oton »

Do you have preinfusion?

If yes I think -and i'm not 100% sure- that if you aim for a shot of 25 sec (I'm aiming at the same - 25ml/25 sec instead of the typical american aim of 30ml(1lb) /30 sec) you should do a shot of 31 due to the 6 extra secs of the preinfusion.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

bayviewgirl wrote:
So for now, it seems to be working. I appreciate your help and patience with my learning curve.
I have one more question...what is the ideal temperature for me to program my machine? Is 93 degrees a good temperature or does it depend on the coffee I am using? I alway make a latte.

Thank you Chas and John B. for helping me with my learning curve.
The ideal temperature depends on the coffee you are using & your own personal tastes. 93* is a good middle ground for many blends but don't be afraid to experiment higher & lower once you have your grind dialed in. Also try different doses; do you weigh your dose or are you just leveling across the top of the basket (16-17grams)? What are you currently using for espresso? Roast level? Grinder?
bayviewgirl

Post by bayviewgirl »

To answer JohnB's question. Yes, I just read the maual that came in the box. Not that great...in fact terrible. I now see that there is a more complete manual I can print out. I will do that. Thank you.

As far as the 25 second shot, you are right, there is a delay in the beginning so I will play with adjusting that as well.

Chas, as far as the grinder I have...it is called a K-3 Touch. If there is a more technical name for it, I don't know what it is. It is red and matches nicely with my red Mini and was suggested by the woman at CC's when I ordered the Vivaldi. It does not have the doser which I may end up getting later and can add to this one. I have the grind set at about 40 which seems to be good today anyway. I don't weigh my beans (is that bad???) but I do over fill the two shot holder and do my manipulating thing with the grind then tamp it. It seems to be giving me some great shots, but maybe for you, they would not be considered a God Shot :) On the otherhand, the beans I am using this week are from the Fidalgo Bay Coffee Company in Skagit Valley in Washington State. They are an organic blend but I have no specifics. I just like that I can get them fresh and they taste good to me. After these beans are gone, I am trying a new local company by the name of Bird Rock from La Jolla, CA near San Diego here and I am not sure what exactly their beans are because I had to get them from the guy at the farmers market on Saturday and he was out of their usual bags.

So you can tell, I am not a "perfectionist" at this, but do enjoy the help you have given me. Cheers to your next one!
spaceman3

Post by spaceman3 »

I got a K-3 touch from CC as well, but I had a few problems with it and sent it back. I would suggest experimenting with different beans, because you'll get one you love at some point that gives you the exact taste you're looking for.
oton

Post by oton »

What problems? I have a K3 Touch too

Return to “Mini General Q&A”