Contaminated water?

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
sbarry

Contaminated water?

Post by sbarry »

I had my old Kinetico Quad 50 hooked up to my new house last week (I should have done it myself) and it wasn't pressurized properly. We didn't notice anything unusual until the bathtub was filled and small quantities of carbon were apparent in the water. My S1 was temporarily hooked up without my Chris Coffee carbon block filter system and I had pulled 6 shots during this time.

I'm wondering if I should try to drain the tanks on my S1 or take some other course of action. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sbarry
Barry

Post by Barry »

I am a bit confused. What is the correlation between the water pressure and presence of carbon? Have you detected contaminants any where else that would lead you to believe that the problem goes beyond that one situation?
sbarry

Post by sbarry »

I probably provided more information than you needed. Regardless, small black carbon particles were discharged into the toilets, shower stalls, tubs - everywhere there is a water supply in my house. I believe this problem is resolved. But I'm hoping carbon particles haven't gotten into my S1 which I operated very briefly about the time this occured.

The question is should I act now to try to safeguard against contaminants that might have gotten in my S1? Is it difficult to drain the tanks and are there any other steps I could take with other parts in the S1 to remove contaminants? If I sound like nervous father its because this is my baby!
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

I'm speaking out of ignorance here. If it were my machine, I would flush the steam boiler, using the hot water tap, several times into a suitable vessel and examine the water for contamination. If any particles are found, I would continue to flush until the problem abated. I would do the same with the brew boiler.

Of course a call to Chris, might be in order.

Bob
sbarry

Post by sbarry »

Thanks Bob. I called Chris and they basically said what you did - flush the group, steam boiler, and water dispenser continually. According to Chris, if there were a problem it would be noticed with the solenoids and very apparent. I think I'm in the clear.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”