How to level the grounds when the coffee is below the rim

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
BEAN

How to level the grounds when the coffee is below the rim

Post by BEAN »

I posted this on HB so sorry for the dupe, but it really seems like an S1 issue. I grind 16+G directly into the portafilter using my Mazzer mini E doserless. I then use WDT to break up the clumps and distribute the grinds. The problem is that the coffee is then BELOW the rim of the basket. This makes it very hard to level the grinds before tamping. Yet when I tamp the level goes to just at or a hair below the retainer clip. Coffee has the nut imprint and no screen imprint and it makes an almost 100% crema shot in between 25 to 30 seconds. More coffee causes squirting. The problem is that about 50% of the time I get channeling. I think this is caused by poor distribution but I can't use any distribution techniques because the coffee is below the rim of the basket. Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion?
Niko

Post by Niko »

The Mazzer Mini E doserless is very prone to this.
I'm with you on this one.

I can show you how I evenly distribute and level the grounds but it requires another person to man the camera for me.
In the meantime, I'll try and describe it.
As I mentioned on another post.... Rest the finger tip on the basket rim and push the rest of the finger down into the basket and turn both PF and finger in opposite direction, the bent finger representing a bent wiper blade against a windshield. So the finger is kind of bent backwards a little to reach the grinds in the basket, you don't have to be an acrobat - it actually works and it levels everything nicely into a nice cake (kind of a slight convex like some tampers).
This particular Mazzer series doesn't produce the fluffiest grinds so it's a little challenging to get a technique that works well without some planning.

BTW, I only dose 14-15 grams with the Mazzer and it works great.
BEAN

Post by BEAN »

14 or 15 G is pretty small dosage! (yes not in italy) . Do you use WDT? Does that little espresso produce blonding rappidly? When you "down dose" like that do you have to fine up the grind? How hard do you tamp? Also what coffee are you typically using?

Sorry for all the questions but I am having a hard time dialing in the machine.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

14-16g dosing seems to be ideal for the S1. What are you using?
BEAN

Post by BEAN »

I am using 16.5 to 17.5 depending... I started a bit lower as in around 15 but had the issue with trying to level before tamping and the shots went blond quickly at about 18 seconds in... I thought that was due to the large head space. Anyone have early blonding issues when they dose at 15g or less?
Weska

Post by Weska »

I'm apparently at the extreme end of underdosing. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine more than 15gr. in a double basket. I use 13.5gr, and the puck hits the bolt in the shower screen every time.

Anyhow, I don't have any problem with distribution now that I pull the ground coffee (from my doser-blessed M4) into a ramekin. From there I put three heaping--very!--small teaspoons into the pf as evenly as possible. Then I trace around the outside edge of the pf with the back of that spoon held at nearly 90 degrees to the grounds. Then a couple of light taps downward to settle. The coffee remaining in the ramekin is crudely scooped toward the center of the pf and then smoothed out toward the edges with the back of that same old spoon.

After that it's ready to tamp and rarely disappoints.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The S1 is designed with a 14 gram double shot in mind, anything above that is just so American :D
For real though, the machine does seem to perform better on the underdosing side of things.

BEAN wrote:When you "down dose" like that do you have to fine up the grind? How hard do you tamp? Also what coffee are you typically using?
Yes, I do fine up the grind quite a bit and I tamp the same no matter what (about 28lbs).
The beans are mostly Brazilian lately.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”