Volumetric dosing

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
JohneBoy75
Freeze Dried

Volumetric dosing

Post by JohneBoy75 »

Hi folks... My first post so go easy on me.
I have an S1, mini ii. Is there a factory default for volumetric dosing? I know I can reprogram this however I shouldn't the factory set up at least deliver a reasonably accurate dose?
Thanks
John
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Volumetric dosing

Post by chas »

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a reasonably accurate dose. This is because the amount of water that gets absorbed by the grounds varies depending on type of coffee, level of roast freshness, amount of coffee, and grind. So even if the volumetric dosing does have some sort of default factory setting, it isn't going to be right for you.

For my own situation, I have found that setting the volumetric dosing so that I get 3.5oz of water when the PF is empty yields just under 2oz in the cup. You may find your answer to be completely different.

Many users just set the dosing to be higher than they'd even want and then shut off manually when the coffee stream starts to go blonde.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohneBoy75
Freeze Dried

Post by JohneBoy75 »

Thanks Chas, I've managed to program the dosing and pull a decent shot, 30g ish from 15g of grind in 25s or so focusing on grind and tamp consistency... :-)
daveR1
Americano

Post by daveR1 »

I just set the cup on a scale on the drip tray. I use recipes by weight. I enter the user setting mode to “record” the volume. I pull a shot & when the yield hits the desired amount I stop the shot & save it in the user setting. I pull several shots in a row to make sure the setting is consistent. I’ve noticed that with my grinder Sette 270W & the medium roast coffees I usually try, the final yield is about 4 grams more than when I stop the shot. I.e. stop @ 24 & the final weight is 28 since there is some water in the “pipes” after I stop the pump.

Return to “General Q&A”