Living The Dream

General questions, comments, and discussions about the Plumbed Dream machine. New owners post your impressions of your Dream - likes, dislikes, and any other comments.
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Living The Dream

Post by PyroKerry »

It has arrived! UPS came with a nice double-boxed shipment from Chris' Coffee. As I promised Chas, I took many photos. I've got all of them, good resolution, on Google:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11502962 ... 6777644785

I guess water from the tanks leaked out in transit, as everything had water on it. I removed the panels to dry everything off. I gave Tim, a tech at Chirs' Coffee a call and he told me how to dry out the touch screen module. If I'd have waited over night, it probably would have resolved itself ;-) .
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
Baratza Virtuoso (Preciso burrs)
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Re: Living The Dream

Post by PyroKerry »

Back together and warming up; I've got the water and drain plumbed. There don't seem to be any problems.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the pictures! Something to look at while I wait for mine. :)
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Maybe tomorrow for you, Brian?

I added a few more of the touch screen electronics as I had it apart to dry.

It's a nicely made piece of equipment, very easy to get at everything.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

All I know is that I wouldnt be very happy if my machine came with all the water all over the inside and outside. Luckily you know what you are doing and are able to take it all apart. I think more care should be taken when shipping..... like trying to get all the water out??
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

I talked to the techs at Chris' Coffee and they do their best to get it out, but it's somewhat of a sealed system. I don't see any way to drain the coffee boiler directly. I think most of the water is in the steam boiler. That has a drain plug at the bottom, but I think that's a single use part - that is, if you remove it, you replace it. But I don't know for sure.

I was just being a bit obsessive; I wanted to remove the panels to look it over anyway. Besides, I promised Chas some pictures! I think it probably would have run had I just fired it up.

Can everyone access the pictures? Does anyone want any other pics?

Did anyone notice that the steam boiler is mounted at an angle? The top angles away from the pump by a good half inch.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Would just like to know how it performs.. Deciding between this and a Vibiemme Double Domo.... :grin:
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Yes, that's the most import information. Unfortunately, I'm a complete noob when it comes to espresso; this is my first machine. I've read everything I can, I'm starting with good coffee and equipment, and beginning last night (and this morning :grin: ) I'm practicing. I actually pulled a double that was drinkable - that made me pretty happy.

I was looking at the Vibiemme, S1 Dream and the Alex Duetto III. I went with the S1 Dream based primarily on the recommendation of Chris' Coffee. I like the fact that a lot of the S1 Vivaldi II have been sold and are well respected.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
etout00

Post by etout00 »

Thanks for loading the pics of your new machine...this helps out a lot. I am planning on visiting CCS next week to see a demo of the machine in person. Is there anyway you can take a few more pictures of the display while the machine is powered up? I would be interested in seeing the menus and the user interface in more detail.

Also one major question I had was related to the temperature display on the screen for the brew boiler, when you are pulling a shot do you see the brew temperature drastically change from the beginning of the shot to the end? For instance if the display is showing your brew boiler at 200 degrees what does it show throughout the shot and then again at the end?

I'm assuming that the brew temp displayed on the screen is measuring the brew boiler as cold water is mixed in....or does the Dream pre-heat/draw the water from the steam boiler similar to a GS/3?

Thanks again for posting these pics.
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

PyroKerry wrote:Yes, that's the most import information. Unfortunately, I'm a complete noob when it comes to espresso; this is my first machine. I've read everything I can, I'm starting with good coffee and equipment, and beginning last night (and this morning :grin: ) I'm practicing. I actually pulled a double that was drinkable - that made me pretty happy.

I was looking at the Vibiemme, S1 Dream and the Alex Duetto III. I went with the S1 Dream based primarily on the recommendation of Chris' Coffee. I like the fact that a lot of the S1 Vivaldi II have been sold and are well respected.

Yep.. Same here. .NEVER pulled a shot!! I dont think he would have recommended the Vibiemme since he doesnt sell it..
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

etout00 wrote:Thanks for loading the pics of your new machine...this helps out a lot. I am planning on visiting CCS next week to see a demo of the machine in person. Is there anyway you can take a few more pictures of the display while the machine is powered up? I would be interested in seeing the menus and the user interface in more detail.

Also one major question I had was related to the temperature display on the screen for the brew boiler, when you are pulling a shot do you see the brew temperature drastically change from the beginning of the shot to the end? For instance if the display is showing your brew boiler at 200 degrees what does it show throughout the shot and then again at the end?

I'm assuming that the brew temp displayed on the screen is measuring the brew boiler as cold water is mixed in....or does the Dream pre-heat/draw the water from the steam boiler similar to a GS/3?

Thanks again for posting these pics.
I'll get some pictures of the menus tonight.

I have noticed that it drops, but I'll pay attention tonight to see how much.

I couldn't tell if the steam boiler cold water feed line is also a draw line to mix water for the coffee boiler, but I'm sure CCS knows the flow path very well.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Here are pictures of all of the menus. There are a few, like MAT, that are not implemented in the machine.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11502962 ... 0914048721

The coffee boiler temp doesn't drop much during a pull. I have the coffee boiler set to 201degF and the readout will drop to about 198degF during a pull.

On further reflection, I'm sure the coffee boiler does not get fed by the steam boiler, as you can run the Dream with the steam boiler off.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
etout00

Post by etout00 »

Thanks for posting the pics! Good to hear that the temperature does not drop all that much during a shot, also I would assume the actual temp at the grounds is probably even less of a drop considering the mass of the group. I wish CCS would post a pic of a SCACE reading to show off the temp stability during a shot pull.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks for all the great photos. That has to be one of the fastest and most complete tear downs I have seen short of pulling out the boilers :lol:

It's too bad that you had to perform it due to the water leakage. If UPS laid the unit on its back, the most likely opening for water to escape would be the vacuum breaker valve on top of the steam boiler. A number of years back, Jason at CC told me their water clean out process before shipment is: 1) Remove bolt from bottom of steam boiler and drain completely 2) Remove bolt from side of group boiler and siphon out water 3) Remove the solenoid valves then use an air pressure hose to blast out as much water as possible through the group head, steam wand, and hot water faucet. While this probably gets 95% of the water out of the system, there are all the various tubes and plumbing that still contain water. Some of this likely drained back into the steam boiler with the box on it's side (or maybe even upside down) then out the breaker valve.

In some of your earliest photos you had the front panel off with the water tube to the pressure meter removed. I assume you took that off and that it didn't come with the water tube disconnected. It was interesting to see those photos. I was wondering how they mounted the pressure gauge to the front panel and still made the panel easy to remove since the gauge has previously been connected with copper tubing. It was also interesting to see the programming plug. Based on the original mock up photos I was shown, it looked like it was going to be a USB port. Then I got later indications that it would be an SD Card connector. Turns out that it is a standard 10 pin male ribbon cable connector. Does it come with any kind of cover to keep coffee goo from splashing into the connector between uses?

Any idea what the "Grinding" and "EGS" menus do? Are they implemented functions in the current version?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

My pleasure, Chas. I know I will learn a lot from you and others on this forum, and I'm glad to help where I can. I would have answered sooner but I was at a cupping this morning! It's a coffee day.

That is a very thorough water removal regime! You are quite right, there was very little water in the system; some in the tubes, some drained back to the steam boiler. Could you tell me which of the valves is the breaker valve?

Yes, I detached the water tube to the steam boiler pressure meter; it was well attached when I removed the front panel. There is a long coil of plastic tubing going to this gauge so you don't have to but with all of the disassembly I thought it would be best. Indeed, there were no problems other than the water inside.

Yes, what they did with the USB was different. Maybe they figured the 10 pin header would be more robust. The hole that exposes that connector is covered with a flap of rubber. It's simple, but I think it will be sufficient. I don't know why they put the little hole in the flap. I'll have to play with what gets downloaded tonight.

Both Grind and EGS are supposed to be implemented. The 'Grinding' feature is designed to "give the user a notice while brewing if the grind is too fine or coarse'. A back pressure sensor, maybe? I'll turn this on and play with it today. EGS dumps a little water through the group after 20 minutes of inactivity. The manual says that's for the European market where people keep ground coffee in the portafilter and the EGS system keeps it from drying out.

Kerry
Attachments
Flap open on data port
Flap open on data port
P1020383.JPG (177.62 KiB) Viewed 59494 times
Flap closed on Data port
Flap closed on Data port
P1020382.JPG (171.03 KiB) Viewed 59494 times
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

steamblrconnection.jpg
steamblrconnection.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 59490 times
1) Water level sensor
2) Vacuum breaker valve (closes to seal boiler when water heats up. Opens to prevent vacuum when water cools down.)
3) Water temp sensor
4) Whoops skipped a number
5) Thermal breaker (kicks off power to heat element if top of boiler gets too hot. Has a red reset button.)
6) Over Pressure Valve ( Will open and release pressure before steam boiler explodes. Otherwise, sealed at all times.)
7) Power leads to both sides of heater element.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Power lead boots look more robust (simple silicone tubing I assume?)

The "Grinding" feature is odd. Did somebody say there was a digitial pressure sensor now for brew pressure? I assume it works with that? But honestly, who would ever use this. Anyone can easily tell if the grind is too fine, since the water doesn't come out. :roll:

What does EGS stand for? Euro Gicleur System??? Are Europeans really that lazy they can't empty there PFs? Or is it one of those Italian myth where it "seasons" the espresso? :lol: Seems really dumb.

But, I can see it having another purpose which would actually be useful. If it came on every 10 minutes and shot out 2 oz of water, it would keep the grouphead warm so you would not need to do any warming shots. (Obviousy you wouldn't want to turn this on for the model T).
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I guess EGS might be useful if is truly just a little spritz of water. I hate when I make the first espresso in several hours and discover that the last user forgot to dump the PF! That would probably make the cleanup a little easier. (I am probably the culprit as often as not... :oops:)
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I see that they made a few changes in the way the group boiler is connected. The hole above the two heat elements leads on the back of the boiler used to be where the temp sensor went in horizontally. This hole is now plugged. Then there was a plugged hole in the top of the S1 Vx boilers that was plugged (steam out hole for Rossini models only) and that hole is now where the thermocouple goes in vertically. Also, the hole at about the 10:30 position on the side of the boiler looking at it from the back used to be where the water entered the boiler. It is now plugged and the cold water appears to enter somewhere under the boiler and closer to the front.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Thanks, Chas.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
Endo

Post by Endo »

chas wrote:I guess EGS might be useful if is truly just a little spritz of water. I hate when I make the first espresso in several hours and discover that the last user forgot to dump the PF! That would probably make the cleanup a little easier. (I am probably the culprit as often as not... :oops:)
I think someone at CC has this EGS function confused with something else.

The EGS stands for "Electronic Ground System" according to LaSapziale. Seems more like a safety function rather than anything to do with spritzing.
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Having a lot of fun with the Dream. Many beans are being sacrificed so I can develop some skills. Having an instrument that is so consistent makes a huge difference; I know when the result changes it's because of something I did - the grind, the distribution, the tamp. I've read and re-read Jim Schulman's guide, and Scott Rao's book. They make a lot more sense to me now.

I'm starting with the old-school - 14g double - but using the new equipment: the Dream, naked PF; weighing each dose and weighing the shots as per Andy Schecter and keeping my variables to a minimum. I'm starting to get consistency in my shot; at least consistent as judged by my palate.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
etout00

Post by etout00 »

PyroKerry wrote:Having a lot of fun with the Dream. Many beans are being sacrificed so I can develop some skills. Having an instrument that is so consistent makes a huge difference; I know when the result changes it's because of something I did - the grind, the distribution, the tamp. I've read and re-read Jim Schulman's guide, and Scott Rao's book. They make a lot more sense to me now.

I'm starting with the old-school - 14g double - but using the new equipment: the Dream, naked PF; weighing each dose and weighing the shots as per Andy Schecter and keeping my variables to a minimum. I'm starting to get consistency in my shot; at least consistent as judged by my palate.

I'm curious to know what your current offset is set as in the 'factory setting' screen? I am assuming that a Scace reading was done before shipment. On the Vivaldi V2s the scace offset was about 3-4 degrees, wondering if the Dream is less with the group head changes.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Given the changes on the group boiler between the Dream and the V2s, I wouldn't expect any correlation in the offset temperatures. The Dream has a different temp sensor in a different location and the cold water enters the boiler at a different location. Between that and the PID control, there is more different that similar between the model's group boilers.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Not really related to offset, but I wonder how much closer the idle grouphead temp compares to the running grouphead temp (now that it has that extra metal cover to prevent it from getting cold).

I think this might be one of the biggest + of the new Dream (especially for the Dream T where warming shot water is limited).

Does Chris still calibrate the machine with 2 warming shots or has this been eliminated?
etout00

Post by etout00 »

chas wrote:Given the changes on the group boiler between the Dream and the V2s, I wouldn't expect any correlation in the offset temperatures. The Dream has a different temp sensor in a different location and the cold water enters the boiler at a different location. Between that and the PID control, there is more different that similar between the model's group boilers.
Hi Chas,

I am interested to know what everyone else's offset is under the Factory menu option mainly because mine is listed as 0 degrees.......I am wondering if my Dream was even tested with a Scace prior to packaging or if everyone's machine is set to 0. Haha, I guess I just have a tough time believing my boiler temp is dead on with the temp of the water hitting the puck....and no offset was required?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Sorry for the confusion. You are living in a "Dream" world rather than a global S1 world. "Everyone" is much more limited in your definition. :lol:
Chas
Hottop P/B
GooseVR1

Post by GooseVR1 »

Mine is set to 0, if that helps. I have a Dream T that arrived this Monday.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Dream T came yesterday. I set it up with the timer, but it didn't turn on this morning, something I need to still look into. So far, so good other than that. It's going to take some time to get used to it, experimenting and all, but out of the box I've been impressed so far.
etout00

Post by etout00 »

Brian wrote:Dream T came yesterday. I set it up with the timer, but it didn't turn on this morning, something I need to still look into. So far, so good other than that. It's going to take some time to get used to it, experimenting and all, but out of the box I've been impressed so far.
I noticed this too and figured out that if you set up the timer and then turn off the machine manually the timer option gets set back to 'off'.
Example:
-timer is set to turn on at 6AM and off at 9AM. If you turned the machine on manually outside of that time frame, for instance at noon to pull a shot, and then manually turned off the machine after the session, let's say at 1PM, then your timer option menu gets kicked out from ON to OFF. The only way around this is to go back into the timer option and set it back to ON before manually shutting down the machine. Another way to ensure that that timer is ON and working is that the power button will be blinking red and a message will be displayed which reads 'next ON at _______ time' or something like that.

I'm not sure if the timer option is supposed to get kicked from ON to OFF each time you manually power down your machine, if not I'm sure its a simple coding issue with the firmware, easy fix for CCS/La Spaziale.
Brian

Post by Brian »

You're right, that's the problem. It definitely should be fixed, the current behavior is very non-intuitive.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris agrees that it shouldn't work this way. It's on their list to confirm and then funnel to LaSpaz as part of SW update #1.
Chas
Hottop P/B
dgasmd

Post by dgasmd »

All nice, but how is the espresso out of it? :bounce: :lol: :bounce:
etout00

Post by etout00 »

dgasmd wrote:All nice, but how is the espresso out of it? :bounce: :lol: :bounce:
That's a great question...easy answer, this machine makes great espresso and milk based drinks. The espresso is as good or better than my previous two machines, both commercial 1-group HXs (Faema C-84 and La Cimbali M32).

What I am really enjoying most about this machine is the PID control, I no longer have to wonder about how long to do a group flush as I did with the HX machines. Also its nice knowing I can set my PID temp and see the exact temp displayed on the screen.

I've owned the Dream machine less than a week and can say its by no means perfect (still areas to improve IMHO), but I am much happier using a DB compared to my HX machines and the taste in the cup is as good or better than what I was achieving with my commercial one group HXs.
edcoffee

Post by edcoffee »

Any more updates on this machine?
etout00

Post by etout00 »

edcoffee wrote:Any more updates on this machine?

I've been using my machine everyday day for the past 2 weeks....its been making consistently good espresso without any issues or hiccups. Besides from the minor software timer on/off issue there isn't any other problems that I've noticed.

My only gripe is that I wish the steam/knob/arm/water spout was secured with a solid bracket....its disappointing that there is wiggle/play when a bracket could have simply been mounted more securely. Also the way the steam arm is mounted provides very little room for movement, which is an issue with pitchers larger than 20oz. I wish CCS would look into this...especially if this machine is going to be used in a commercial environment. I understand that costs need to be kept down, but I'd rather pay another $50 to have the solid/secure steam arm assembly mounted like the vivaldi.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The original S1V1 had some issues that bothered people and CCS resolved them all within the first 3-6 months or so at no cost the the owners. Perhaps we can expect more of the same with the Dream, if required.

Early adopter S1V1 owners received 1) quiet motor mounts, 2) ball socket steam arm and 3) improved steam tip. Other improvements were made later at user request. Where practical most were made available for purchase as reasonably priced end-user add-ons.

BTW: My new Dream arrives this afternoon! So I am just hanging out waiting for Mr. Brown.
Chas
Hottop P/B
etout00

Post by etout00 »

chas wrote:The original S1V1 had some issues that bothered people and CCS resolved them all within the first 3-6 months or so at no cost the the owners. Perhaps we can expect more of the same with the Dream, if required.

Early adopter S1V1 owners received 1) quiet motor mounts, 2) ball socket steam arm and 3) improved steam tip. Other improvements were made later at user request. Where practical most were made available for purchase as reasonably priced end-user add-ons.

BTW: My new Dream arrives this afternoon! So I am just hanging out waiting for Mr. Brown.
Chas,

I'm relieved to hear that you're getting your hands on a Dream. I'm going to be extreamly interested to get your honest opinion on the Dream since you've had both other S1V1 and S1V2 in the past AND you currently own a GS3....I'd be interested to know your opinion of the Dream compared to the GS3 for sure, especially since I'm still considering a GS3.

Let us know your thoughts on the steam/water assembly and if you feel (like me) that the bracket could have been secured or designed differently to take away the wiggle/sloppy feeling.
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

I've been using mine daily as well; learning and generally playing around with a lot of different coffees. I've been taking a stab at latte art recently which doesn't have a lot to do with expresso!

I really couldn't be happier with the Dream. From my very new perspective, it's consistent and reliable.

Chas, we wait with great anticipation your investigations!
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's a loaner with the expectation that I will be giving Chris tons of feedback, help with documentation, and generally help on the Forum to take a bit of support load off CCS. That said, it was never really discussed whether it will be a plumb-in model or a tank model. So that will be a surprise either way.

I really don't anticipate that I will want to give up the GS/3 for the Dream as a long term solution, especially since I long ago sold my 53mm Scace and other accessories and respent a small fortune on a 58mm Scace and many other 58mm related accessories. I think I only have one, maybe two, 53mm tampers left as the sum total of my 52mm accessory collection.

After three years in service for the GS/3 this will also give me the time to disassemble, clean, and tune-up the entire machine and descale both boilers. The nice thing about the GS/3 (well one of many) is that it comes with a tank or it can be plumbed in. I've never used to tank but that is the preferred method of descaling. You install the tank and fill it will Citric acid solution, drain the boilers, suck the solution in, let it sit, then drain and flush using the tank or a direct connection.

Regardless of whether I get the tank or the plumb-in model, I will be able to run both machines side-by-side for taste test comparisons. That should be interesting. I suppose I should see if Sakurama will loan me back the 53mm Scace so I can run some real temp tests. Since I can hook up my digital thermometer to a PC and create time-temp plots, it would be interesting to plot the side-by-side shot stability of the Dream and the GS/3.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Wow. I'm sure Chris appreciates the time you're putting in to this project.

From what I've come to understand, the GS/3 is the gold standard of prosumer machines. Being able to document the differences should be fascinating.

Kerry
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
edcoffee

Post by edcoffee »

I'm contemplating whether to get it now or wait for 3-6 months when all the kinks have been iron out.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The machine is installed and all up to temp. I am now printing out the manual and will probably check/tweak some settings so that it is set up the way I like things before the first shot.

The box was in pristine shape with no signs of water leakage. Everything was packed very well and all parts present. The only bugaboo which probably only happened to me or I no doubt would have heard about it is that the Quick Start guide that came with it was for the Duetto! Since it's my 3rd S1 machine I don't need no steenking manual to tell me how to hook up the water and turn it on. So if I am the only one this happened to, CCS picked the right person to make that mistake on. :-P

I immediately see what folks mean by the flimsy bracket that the steam wand and the hot water spigot connect to. It really wiggles when you grab the steam knob. Also, I concur that a slightly different shape and a little more length on the steam arm would provide a lot more flexibility in pitcher placement and movement. Well see if I still feel the same way when I actually use it. Of course I was not crazy about the steam arm on the V1 or the V2 either. I had a LaSpaz S5 steam arm I procured for the V1 that I moved to the V2 when I traded up and loved it.

There are enough programmable features to take me a few days figuring out and playing with, but I have no doubt that I will have the covers off and be taking internal photos soon enough!

Since I did get the plumbed in version, after this post I'll move to a topic in the Plumbed Dream section.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It seems like the Dreams are set up before shipment by CCS as follows:

1) Group boiler temp 200F - I dropped it to 199F which is where I am running my GS/3 with the current beans
2) Steam boiler temp set to provide 1 bar of pressure. I bumped it to 255F so I could get 1.2 bar of pressure to be the same pressure I am used to. Steaming is excellent!
3) Group pressure set dead on to 9bar - left that alone
4) Preinfusion off - I turned it to On for 4 seconds
5) Volumetric dosing set to exactly 2 oz w/o coffee in the PF. I tweaked this in along with my grinder to get about 1.75oz in 35 secs which includes the preinfusion time.

While setting the dosing for the Two cup button, I wanted to use my 4oz graduated shot glass and needed to use the single spout PF. However, that PF comes with the single basket so I had to switch baskets between the two PFs. That's when I remembered - to paraphase Charles Barkley - those are turrible, turrible springs. Always have been. When I had my original S1 I replaced the LaSpaz PFsprings with much lighter duty LM PF springs. I dug those springs out of my espresso spare parts box and replaced both immediately. Otherwise, it is so hard to get the PF baskets out to clean them that it is very easy to damage the chrome on the PFs. I would recommend anyone / everyone that owns any model of S1 do the same thing.

Optionally, you can remove the current PF springs and put an extra bend in each of the flat sides of them. This is easier and cheaper than buying new LM PF springs. (They are only a couple of bucks each. It's the shipping that kills you unless you need some other items at the same time) I actually did this myself initially but wasn't as happy with the result as I was with the LM springs. However, may S1 users have been completely happy with the result of bending the stock LaSpaz PF springs.

After I was done with all that configuration it took me a while to figure out how to get out of those menus and back to the main display. From the programming menu I finally found a "Back" option but that popped me up from menu level 2 to menu level 1. It was from that point I couldn't figure out how to exit out to the main screen. I tried so many things I don't remember which one actually worked. Maybe it's easy and it was just me being thick. Time will tell.

After all that I fixed a latte for my wife and a cap for me so we could also check out the steaming. We both agreed that the flavor was better and smoother than the earlier shots we'd had from the GS/3. Also, the motor/pump is MUCH quieter in the Dream vs the GS/3.

Time to get back to reading the manual so I can set up the On/Off timer. I also don't know if it's in 15A or 20A mode. I have it plugged into a 20A circuit so I want be sure I am also in 20A mode. I am not yet sure what the shipping default is for that. Some things for the next post.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Excellent! Yes, this certainly warrants its own post.

Mine was set to 201degF group temp, 256degF boiler for about 1.2 bar, group pressure 9bar, preinfusion off. I also bumped the preinfusion to 4s; that's the only change I've made.

I had no manual in the box.

I wondered if every PF basket was that hard to remove!

The menus drove me nuts, too. It took me forever to figure out how to get out of Programming User mode; you select the Change User Profile then scroll all the way down until you find Back, then press the Menu/OK button. To get out of the Main Menu, scroll up until the top bar of the screen says Home, then press the Menu/OK button.

The Grinding menu is interesting. You can select 5sec or 10sec. Say you select 5 sec. Then if you pull a shot automatically with the Single or Double button, the Dream will dispense the precise volume, as you'd expect, but will throw an error message if the shot took 5sec longer or 5sec shorter than the time it took to pull the shot when you set the Single or Double Shot buttons.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I got into the Factory Settings and did notice that the Dream was set to Full Power; i.e. 20A mode. While this is fine for my use, I wonder about the wisdom of this as a general default. I wonder if they change it to Economy / 15A mode (or whatever they call it in the Dream) if you also order the 15A adapter plug. If you plug the machine into a 15A outlet and it defaults to 20A mode that is not ideal.

Of course, the Dream and all earlier machines start out only heating the group boiler and don't start heating the Steam boiler or allowing both to be on until the group boiler is up to temp. This minimizes the duration that both boilers will ever be on simultaneously. This would give the 15A user between 5-minutes to get through the menus after initial power up and switch off the Full Power Option.

I have noticed that the steam boiler icon blinks when its heater element is on. Is there any indication when the group boiler is On? If so, haven't noticed it yet.

I also didn't understand that the Password option protects the entire menu system from use until a PW is used. I mistakenly turned it on and found out the hard way. They probably should put the default password in the User's Manual for idiots like me. Fortunately, the default PW is 1234 and I cracked it in two attempts. :mrgreen:
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Below is the Quick Start Guide I received. Of course it should have been a Dream version and not a Duetto one. You mean you didn't even get this doc?
Quick Start Guide
Quick Start Guide
Duetto.png (468.74 KiB) Viewed 58775 times
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The SD card reader that comes the Dream includes a 256MB SD card. (Where the heck can you even get cards that small any more?) I noticed that there is one file S1D_0107.bin on the card whose size is 107KB. At first I thought that the card might be shipping with a copy of the latest SW on it but that seems way too small. My second thought was that it includes a copy of the default profile. The current User's Manual indicates that the Write capability of the Dream to save User Profiles to that card is not yet implemented. However, the read capability is there. Perhaps the card contains the default profile that the user can restore in case he "configures himself into trouble".

This is all rampant speculation on my part until I can ask Jason on Monday. Have any of you early adopters already asked or figured it out?

I'll know at 8:30PM ET if I successfully configured the Auto-Off time. I did manually turn the machine Off once after programming the timer. I can confirm that does disable the timer functionality until you go back into the menu and re-enable it.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Chas,
I think when you see the wavy line under the Group Boiler temp display it means its heater is on.

No, didn't get any kind of user manual. I figured I was supposed to use the .pdf online.

I asked for mine to be 20A (it's an option when you order).

I'll bet a bag of Black Cat that the S1D_0107.bin is the latest firmware; everybody uses that '.bin' extension for their BIOS. I saved a profile to the card and opened it up; it's in Comma Separated Values (.csv) format and at the end it says "Firmware Release 1.07"

Start a new topic! This is for posterity!
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks. I don't remember seeing a wavy line but I'll check for it tomorrow.

So you were able to Save a profile? Unless I read the User's Manual wrong I thought it said that wasn't implemented yet. Interesting.

One other thing I have to request for a future release is that when you hold down the Up or Down arrow for a couple of seconds it will quickly cycle through menu options. Entering passwords or changing times or dates is a pain now since it doesn't work like that and you have to press, release, press the arrow buttons for each change.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Chas,
Yes, I just read what I wrote and realized that the .csv file should not have been there. I had the SD card plugged in the day I got the Dream and had pressed OK at the Write menu prompt, got the 'Next Firmware' message and forgot about it. I was playing with the Write and Read just now; they both work.

The auto-repeat would be a nice feature.

Kerry
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I noticed in the User's Manual at the top of the display above the group temp, the photos show the word "Chris". I looked all over for how to create a custom name for that field but couldn't find it. Have you cracked that one yet?
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Yes, in the sub menu Program, go to MultiProfiles. You can change each name.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
etout00

Post by etout00 »

chas wrote:Below is the Quick Start Guide I received. Of course it should have been a Dream version and not a Duetto one. You mean you didn't even get this doc?
Duetto.png
Chas,
I didn't get any manual or quick start guide either with mine.....I read the online manual several times before I got the machine so I knew what needed to be done at start up.

Do you have a link or part number to the different portafilter springs that you mention. Espressoparts.com has free shipping on parts still....maybe they sell some you can recommend?
etout00

Post by etout00 »

chas wrote:Thanks. I don't remember seeing a wavy line but I'll check for it tomorrow.

So you were able to Save a profile? Unless I read the User's Manual wrong I thought it said that wasn't implemented yet. Interesting.

One other thing I have to request for a future release is that when you hold down the Up or Down arrow for a couple of seconds it will quickly cycle through menu options. Entering passwords or changing times or dates is a pain now since it doesn't work like that and you have to press, release, press the arrow buttons for each change.

I like the idea of holding down the arrow keys for quick entry.

Also here are some things I've noticed:
-when you are naming a profile you can not enter a space, for instance 'Erik 201' can not be entered, you need to enter Erik201.....I have profiles for different beans/temps. Its a trivial change, but having the ability to add a space is a minor software change.

-maybe there can be a quick one button press to get you out of the menus and back to the 'brewing screen'....for instance if you are in factory options you have to press dozens of buttons to get back to home..... seems like an option like pressing and holding one button should allow you to quickly get out of any menu screen and back to home, again, simple coding change?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

etout00 wrote:
Do you have a link or part number to the different portafilter springs that you mention. Espressoparts.com has free shipping on parts still....maybe they sell some you can recommend?
LM PF SPrings $2.75 each

The analogy I like to make in comparing the standard LaSpaz springs and the LM (or most other manufacturer's) springs is that the gauge of wire LaSpaz uses is similar to that of a large paperclip and the LM spring wire gauge is about like a standard sized paperclip.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

etout00 wrote:
Also here are some things I've noticed:
-when you are naming a profile you can not enter a space, for instance 'Erik 201' can not be entered, you need to enter Erik201.....I have profiles for different beans/temps. Its a trivial change, but having the ability to add a space is a minor software change.

-maybe there can be a quick one button press to get you out of the menus and back to the 'brewing screen'....for instance if you are in factory options you have to press dozens of buttons to get back to home..... seems like an option like pressing and holding one button should allow you to quickly get out of any menu screen and back to home, again, simple coding change?
With less than a day under my belt, I wholeheartedly concur with both of these recommendations as I have bumped up against both of these issues.

I got into the Factory settings area where you have to enter the PW to continue. That's not where I wanted to be and I couldn't figure put how to back out without entering something as a PW. So I walked away for a couple of minutes. When I came back the machine was back to the home screen so I guess there must be something like a one minute timeout where if no button is pressed it pops you back to the home screen. This is a good thing as a fail safe, but for fast navigation that doesn't cut it. I'd like to see a dedicated back and/or return home key of some sort. Maybe press the Menu button once for Back and "double click" it for Home???

It seems that the (.) isn't interpreted as a space and it should be. I first tried S1.CAFE and only S1 was displayed so then I tried changing it to .S1CAFE and it displayed SS1CAFE. So I changed it again to S1CAFE. and that worked as displaying S1CAFE. It's been three years since I input a text field for display on my GS/3 but it had some weird action, too. I had to work around things there, too.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I was able to contact Forum member Sakurama last night and he is going to send me his 53mm Scace. :notworthy:

It will probably take a couple of weeks to get it since he is currently bi-coastal and the Scace is on the other coast. Once I get it, I will run temp stability plots on both the GS/3 and the Dream for comparison.

I sold him my 53mm Scace when I upgraded to the GS/3 three years ago so this will be a homecoming of sorts. 8)
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Good news about the Scace. I read the old post where you sold yours and wondered if Sakurama still had it. Looking at Espresso Parts site, it looks like they are still selling them.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
etout00

Post by etout00 »

chas wrote:
etout00 wrote:
LM PF SPrings $2.75 each

The analogy I like to make in comparing the standard LaSpaz springs and the LM (or most other manufacturer's) springs is that the gauge of wire LaSpaz uses is similar to that of a large paperclip and the LM spring wire gauge is about like a standard sized paperclip.
Thanks for the link Chas...I stubbled on an old spring I had from my past machine that fits nice and loose. I'll order some of the ones you suggested too. That simple spring change makes a night and day difference compared to the La Spaziale one.
etout00

Post by etout00 »

chas wrote:I was able to contact Forum member Sakurama last night and he is going to send me his 53mm Scace. :notworthy:

It will probably take a couple of weeks to get it since he is currently bi-coastal and the Scace is on the other coast. Once I get it, I will run temp stability plots on both the GS/3 and the Dream for comparison.

I sold him my 53mm Scace when I upgraded to the GS/3 three years ago so this will be a homecoming of sorts. 8)

Awesome news....seeing the Scace reading of the Dream and comparing it to the GS3 may be a HUGE selling point for CCS. I am very curious to see the degree change during a shot at the puck
....I know that the boiler temp changes about 2-3 degrees on the display, but that's solely due to cold water entering the boiler...can't wait to see your Scace results at the puck and how they compare to a GS3!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

chas wrote:
I also didn't understand that the Password option protects the entire menu system from use until a PW is used. I mistakenly turned it on and found out the hard way. They probably should put the default password in the User's Manual for idiots like me. Fortunately, the default PW is 1234 and I cracked it in two attempts. :mrgreen:
I'm surprised no one called me on this. I re-read the manual yesterday and the fact that the default PW is 1234 is mentioned. It also notes how to reset the PW to this default for times where you have changed the PW but forgot what you changed it to. Good design.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Brian

Post by Brian »

Some interesting differences in the temperature settings as set by CCS. Mine was set to 201F/248F. I bumped up the steam temp to 253 but so far have left the group boiler temp the same.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Mine was set to 200F/248F so not really much difference. 248F seems to be the temp that provides exactly 1bar of steam pressure. I bumped mine to 1.2bar aka 255F because that's what I was used to for comparisons sake. However, there appeared to be more than enough steam at 1bar.

Now that I have been steaming at 1.2bar for a few days, I may back it down to 248F/1bar and try that for a few days to see which I prefer. Even compared to the GS/3, it's a steam monster.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

chas wrote:
chas wrote:
I'm surprised no one called me on this. I re-read the manual yesterday and the fact that the default PW is 1234 is mentioned. It also notes how to reset the PW to this default for times where you have changed the PW but forgot what you changed it to. Good design.
Well, I just ASSUMED you would never make a mistake! ;-)

I think I'll drop my steam boiler to 248degF as well. I have no comparison, but I certainly don't have any trouble foaming milk.
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
eph85

Post by eph85 »

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I just got a text from UPS that my Dream-T was just delivered! I feel like a little kid. :smile: Thanks for all of the great posts and photos. I've been following since my order last week. I'll post my thoughts later after I open my box!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I've been back to running with 1bar of steam pressure the last couple of days as the machine had been originally received vs. the 1.2 bar I had pushed it up to. The steam pressure and duration at 1bar has been plenty. I'll definitely be leaving it set to 1bar.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

PyroKerry wrote:Chas,
Yes, I just read what I wrote and realized that the .csv file should not have been there. I had the SD card plugged in the day I got the Dream and had pressed OK at the Write menu prompt, got the 'Next Firmware' message and forgot about it. I was playing with the Write and Read just now; they both work.

The auto-repeat would be a nice feature.

Kerry
I just added a 2nd profile - one with and one without pre-infusion in preparation for my Dream vs GS3 testing. Since I have two profiles I figured it was time to use the Write function to save them to the SD Card. It didn't work. The screen flashed the message "Next Upgrade" which I assume means the feature will be there in the next software version.

However, you seemed pretty certain that the Write function worked on yours. How many files and with what file names do you have on the card now? I just have one called S1D_0107.bin but that was there when I purchased the machine. This seems like it might be the software version that came on the machine, but at only 107KB it seems a bit small for that. I'll have to clarify this with CCS.
Chas
Hottop P/B
etout00

Post by etout00 »

Chas,
The SD card that came with my Dream has the same file you mentioned (S1D_0107.bin). I too was unable to 'Write' the 4 profiles I have saved on my machine. I got the same message as you.

Return to “Dream General Q&A”